• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Poll: What router bit do you keep mounted in your router table

What default bits do you guys keep loaded on the router in your router table, ready to go...
    Tell us why in an answer.
    None, I put away any bit right after using
    66.67%
    45° Chamfer bit w/ bearing
    22.22%
    1/8" roundover/bearing bit
    0%
    3/16" roundover/bearing bit
    0%
    1/4" roundover/bearing bit
    0%
    5/16" roundover/bearing bit
    0%
    3/8" roundover/bearing bit
    0%
    Other roundover bit with bearing
    0%
    Other cove bit with bearing
    0%
    Top bearing flush trim bit
    11.11%
    1/4" grooving bit straight or spiral
    0%
    Other (please specify in an answer)
    0%
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

I keep a 45 degree chamfer bit mounted. I lower it below the table top so as not to catch things on it as I frequently set work on the router table temporarily.

Why? So I can put a quick professional looking finished edge on many things really quickly. I use the chamfer because I can readily adjust the size of the chamfer by raising and lowering the bit. Roundovers look nice, too, but you have to have a different bit for each size of the roundover, big items need bigger roundovers so there is no universal sized roundover I could use. Also the setup for a roundover is more critical, have to have the height just right to get the smooth edge without the "beading effect", although a proper beaded roundover can look nice, too.

I also keep a ready set of most popular bits handy... 1/4" spiral downcut, 1/4" roundover, flush trim, and the 45° Chamfer bit

Click image for larger version  Name:	P4130055.jpg Views:	0 Size:	113.9 KB ID:	858522 Click image for larger version  Name:	P4130052.jpg Views:	0 Size:	140.6 KB ID:	858523 Click image for larger version  Name:	P4130054.jpg Views:	0 Size:	123.1 KB ID:	858524
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-13-2024, 12:20 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

1. More times than not, I take the bit out of my routers, in the router table or individual routers; I clean it and put the bit(s) up in their storage drawer.

2. Since I have four 1/2" shank routers not in a router table, I sometimes forget and leave a bit in - and that happens if I continue on with the project and forget about the router until it is time to put all tools away.

3. I have two 1/4" shank routers and I usually put the 1/4" bits away after using.

Over the years, I have had a couple of chipped carbide blades from leaving them in the routers (forgetting about them ), so from lessons learned, I usually put them up. That, and the fact that I have 4 drawers for router bits and like to keep them in a place for quick access and knowing where they belong.
      Last edited by leehljp; 04-13-2024, 02:39 PM.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Black walnut
        Administrator
        • Aug 2015
        • BT3K

I put the bit away. I do most of my routing in the table and the finishing bits are almost never used first. Round over or other edge molding bit. I don't think keeping a collet in the compressed state is good long term. No evidence or knowledge, just a thought.
        just another brick in the wall...

Boycott McAfee. They placed an unresponsive popup on my pc.

Comment

• twistsol
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
          • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

When I had my BT3100 I had a router table in the wide kit and a router in the aux table. I kept a flush trim bit in the aux table. Since I only have one router table now, I don't leave any bit in the router table at all. I voted for flush trim bit since that was the state of things for about 20 years, and I'd really like to get back to that since it was so convenient.

If you use the Sommerfeld cabinet making system, you need to flush trim an inch or so of the tongues on almost every part.
          Last edited by twistsol; 04-14-2024, 07:58 AM.
          Chr's

Comment

• LCHIEN
            LCHIEN commented
            Editing a comment
            I kept a 1/4" old Craftsman router in the Aux table of my BT3000 for a long time with a chamfer bit in it... while I still had my router table with the Bosch Router. I think I finally stopped using the Aux/Craftsman because I got a router lift for the table and it was so much easier to set from above the table than raising and lowering the Craftsman from below the Aux table.

Before that I had a cheapo benchtop metal router stand with the two sheet metal wings. I could never get the wings flat and parallel to the main table, I just used the center part table for the C'man router with a roundover or chamfer bit. But it took up too much room.
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-14-2024, 11:17 AM.
        • Stile_ss
          Forum Newbie
          • Apr 2024

I'm glad I'm not the only one with a 45 degree answer

45 for the WIN

Comment

• LCHIEN
            LCHIEN commented
            Editing a comment
            Right on!!!
        • cwsmith
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • NY Southern Tier, USA.
          • BT3100-1

Unfortunately, my woodworking is a rare opportunity over the last few years. As such, all of my tools are 'parked' and thus in a stored position.

In the case of my router, the bits are in the cabinet or drawer and the router removed from the table and stored upside down on the router plate. (I have a Rockler table top, and don't keep the router weight on the table, as I'm concerned it might cause 'sagging'.) When in a high use period, I usually remove the bit unless I'm planning to use it the next day.

CWS
          Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

Working...