• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Rockler Parallel clamps.

I as you know I am getting ready to do a large-ish scale clue up for replacement counter tops for my camper. I wanted clamps that would hold the glue up completely true without ANY wavering or distortion that standard F style clamps are known for... I needed Parallel clamps...

So in looking around I have found the following.
    1. Parallel clamps are EXPENSIVE comparted to F style bar clamps or pipe clamps.
    2. Due to the high cost, I was going to go with the biggest ones I could potentially need, so I am going for 36" clamps.
    3. The parallel clamps that seemed to get the best reviews are the Bessey K Body clamps at $42.99, The Jorgenson Parallel Clamps at $39.99, and the Rockler 36" parallel clamps USUALLY at $39.99.

And then Rockler had a sale...

And I don't think it was supposed to work, but the $25.00 off coupon code and freee shipping applied to my purchase...

I wanted to go with a half dozen to be sure I had enough to at least hold it steady and fill in the gaps with the F bar clamps where needed.

So say these things are beasts is an understatement of the century. My biggest concern is being able to lay out my glue up and clamps on a large enough flat surface... Might have to use a full sheet of 3/4 just to support it nice and level...

Not sure if I should regret getting them this big, but time will tell...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

I just dragged mine (mix of Jorgies and K-body clamps) out last week for the planter box glue-ups.... They are very heavy. the 36 inchers more so than the shorter versions.
    Unlike F-clamps the Parallel clamp bars are meant not to bend. OF course having the pressure applied at the base of the jaws instead of at the ends of the jaws makes a big difference in the bending moment.
    The Rockler ones have a support foot for the end of the bar, this is nice because my K-bodies fall over on short glue-ups - the bar is heavier than the panel.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20240327_010711.jpg Views:	0 Size:	274.6 KB ID:	858451

Storage is a pain in the butt.

Believe it or not I Have 16 K-clamps and Cabinet Masters - all very heavy and stout. I had stored most of them upon the wall but still didn't use them when I might have because they were locked and the locking handles were incoveniently behind the bars towards the wall. You can also see the place where I had them clamps was
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-06-2024, 01:15 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
      commented
      Editing a comment
      I have been putting parallel clamps off for a long time due to costs, but the butcher block countertop project is going to mean some sizeable glueups I absolutely need to keep straight and flat, and parallel clamps seem to be the way to go. Yeah the 36 inchers are HEAVY... and yes, storage is a pain in the tail.
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

If you are not going to use them very often / possibly never again, why not use pipe clamps? Much cheaper, easy to take apart and store and if they aren’t long enough just buy a longer piece of pipe.

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Oh they will be put to use, just not frequently. So for example large panel glue ups will get these hauled out. And honestly, I despise my pipe clamps... The point is to do everything I can to insure they glue up is, and stays completely flat. Pipe clamps can't do that.
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

I still found it useful to use cauls on the glued up panel... usually 2x2 on one side or both clamped to make sure the glued up panel was flat
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Not going to disagree with that. Still much easier to get it flat with parallel clamps than with bar clamps that flex over any reasonable span...

Comment

Working...