Busy busy busy. Finally getting the Grizzly sander assembled.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Busy busy busy. Finally getting the Grizzly sander assembled.

I have been swamped, I got the parts for the mobile base and got it assembled. Putting the base to the sander together tomorrow. Running into a problem. The instructions say to tip the sander on its side, assemble the sander to the base, and then using 3 people to right the sander assembly on its feet. I do not have 3 people... Plus I need to lift this sucker onto the mobile base...

How the heck am I supposed to do this?
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

overhead hoist attached to the rafters of the garage... or an engine hoist?
    Hire two teenagers in your 'hood.

How much does this sucker weigh?

Are you making another flip top stand? If the sander takes three people to lift it, then its going to be a ***** for one person to flip it even with a counterweight tool on the flip side.

Looking it up

has its own stand so No flip top. 235 pounds! Wow!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	109.2 KB ID:	858214
    Nice! (touch of envy).
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-11-2024, 03:37 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
      commented
      Editing a comment
      Engine hoist is definately an option. The teens in my neighborhood grew up and went out to college. The young guy next door and one of his buddies might be interested in some extra bucks for some sweat work... Honestly Engine / shop crane is the easiest to arrange, but no clue how to actually lift it with the crane... The flip top stand is for the new Jointer and planer. The sander on the other flip top stand is the Rigid EB4424, no problem flipping that... And yeah it is kind of beastly heavy. NOT a lightweight machine in the slightest.
      Last edited by dbhost; 03-11-2024, 04:23 PM.
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Shop owners really need some sort of lifting device. Before I got an engine crane I used the garage door track supports to attach a small pulley system. (I did make sure the track support was adequately attached.) I think I saw some at HF for +- $20.

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Leaning heavily toward the shop crane, need one for doing my mini spit install anyway, will likely borrow my friends crane, but still need some younger healthier backs...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

cheapest 2000# chain lift at HF
        Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	118
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	858220

throw an iron pipe across 2 or 4 rafters overhead...

could easily lift 300 pounds.
        About the cheapest one man lifting I can think of.

Problem is lack of horizontal positioning flexibility under load. But if you can lift the tool and then place it on a stand on a mobile base that solves the problem.

Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

Very good chain hoist, used one for years and have many stories of things I’ve lifted with it.

Shop cranes are great for lifting many things in the shop but are all but useless off solid surfaces. I’ve even use my crane for pulling up shrubs in the flower bed! When trying to maneuver a shop crane on dirt you would swear that you were trying to push a truck load of dirt with flat tires. I keep several strips of 3/4” ply wood handy for those rare occasions..

The biggest downside I see with shop cranes are they are space hogs! Legs folded up and boom down mine requires aprox 3’ wide x 2 1/2’ deep x 6’ tall. **bonus**, it’s like a treadmill, you can hang all kinds of clutter on it like welding leads, jackets, chain and other rigging.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            LCHIEN commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, Shop cranes they take up lots of room even when folded.
        • LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

What size iron pipe do you need to set crosswise on top of your rafters spaced 16-24 inches apart?
          To support a chain hoist holding say 500-1000 pounds?

I would think a 1/2" black iron pipe (7/8" diameter) could easily support a 200 pound guy standing in the middle of a 24 inch span.
          Is there a table for the load you can put on an iron pipe?
          Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	111
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	858225
          According to this a 3/4" pipe (OD 1-1/8") can support 676 pounds over 2 feet with a 2:1 safety factor.
          Not sure if the load is distributed over the whole length or is a point load like a hanging chain hoist might be.
          I suspect its a distributed load and also as indicated the pipe must be fastened to the supports at each end.
          I'm looking for the point load capacity as you would have for a chain hoist hung from it.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

Chain hoist won't work for me, no exposed rafters, our garages which is where my shop is, are attached finished garges, mine is not lonly sheet rocked but insulated. I have access to a shop crane to borrow. I do not have enough space to own my own... I just need to get my engine off of same said shop crane...

Comment

• cwsmith
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2005
              • NY Southern Tier, USA.
              • BT3100-1

I bought that hoist several years ago when I had to assemble my Ridgid jointer. It worked great and I was able to do the job on my own without any assistance. Then after it was assembled, I was able to lift onto a mobil platform.

The lifting straps from HF are also great. I had considered purchasing the Load Leveler, but decided against it as I was able to easily position the straps to a balancing point.

Nice buy anyway, and I've used it a few times since.

CWS
              Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• capncarl
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Leesburg Georgia USA
                • SawStop CTS

I would think that when using something placed above the rafters to distribute the load you would use something as long as possible. You never know about the structural integrity of trusses the way they frame a house completely in a couple of weeks.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  LCHIEN commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah, if it was me, I'd use a pipe long enough for spanning 4 rafters and secure it from rolling, at least.
                  On second thought, under load the rafters are going to bend and the pipe is going to bend. So keeping the pipe touching all four rafters is questionable. I think the rafters will deflect the most keeping the pipe in contact with all four rafters sharing the load. If you use pipe clamps to secure it to all four rafters, then there will definitely be sharing of the load. pipe clamp = https://www.grainger.com/product/4HY...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

I also would go to 1-1/4" pipe with load bearing of 2248 pounds, its a fraction of that with a point load in the center. Adjusting for span and point load, I think its still going to be good for about 500 pounds.
                  Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-13-2024, 05:36 PM.
              • dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

So I think I have it. Borrowed shop crane, plus my winching tree saver straps as a sling lift the sander onto the base with some 3/4 ply strips as spacers, and then slide the straps out, That way I can do 2 guys. One holding the sander frommoving, the other tipping it and kicking out the strips, bolt it down, done.

Comment

Working...