Delayed too long. Suwats Multi Purpose Tall fence build.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Delayed too long. Suwats Multi Purpose Tall fence build.

So as I continue cleaning my shop, I realized I never got around to building the multi purpose tall fence. Which also makes for a really nice spline jig, tenon jig etc...

So procrastination aside I am scheduling this in immediately post cleaning the crud off my table saw which is in progress and takes too long.

The camper cabinet builds are kind of pushing this. I need a more useable tenoning jig than the narrower one I rigged a few years ago. I am kind of paranoid of the jig and workpiece pivoting in use, this tall fence design seems much more stable...

Anyway my whole purpose here for this thread is to basically bump the old thread that has the linked PDF for the tall fence for anyone that is interested in building one.

I am trying to find Suwat's multi purpose tall fence plans. I would REALLY like to build one and didn't have the foresight to print it out. It appears since
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Studying the PDF of Suwat's tall fence and noticing no dimensions given aside from 12" between the T tracks and the T track segments are supposed to be 8" long. Scientifically calibrated eyeball says it is 10". Length looks to be about 2" short of the fence extrusion. I believe I know exactly the panel just sitting in my cutoffs that will volunteer itself.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Dave, you might look at my tall rip fence

I have had a tall BT3000 fence for a number of years, I should have used it a few days ago but I didn't because it was too much trouble, And I paid the price as the tall item was a little unstable and I had a hard time controlling it as the two pieces separated and wallowed out a bigger kerf than I wanted at one place. Anyway

which uses fence clamps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	72
Size:	511.6 KB
ID:	856799

Its somewhat easier to build the fence attachment part and you can still put some T-slots in the face of it to employ Suwat's attachments on it for miter splines, this rips, tenons, etc.

No magic in the horizontal location of the clamps and slots... you can move them to suit the locations of the t-slots on the front.
      My recommended vertical location is in the drawing in the linked article.
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-06-2023, 05:24 PM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

LCHIEN the biggest priority is getting the tenon jig working, so your design really won't do it, the fence has to slide along the actual rip fence... I am going to need an easy to use tenon jig for the cabinet builds, unless I just want to do half laps....

Comment

• LCHIEN
          LCHIEN commented
          Editing a comment
          AH, the sliding part. Forgot that! Silly me.
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-06-2023, 09:31 PM.
      • dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

LOL... I bet I could just slam out a quick and dirty sliding fence based tenoning jig and get what I need to get done NOW, but I am really wanting to just do this once and be done....

And more nee naws and gee gaws left the top of the saw / extended table so needing this will be SOON...

Comment

Working...