Foam seal around the dust collector ring.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Foam seal around the dust collector ring.

So I noticed dust blowing out between the bag and collector ring. I took the bag off and discovered there is a foam seal (I don't remember that from before!) that is now just crumbling apart.

What should I use to replace it, or will the bag seal to the ring if I just remove the foam gasket?
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Use adhesive foam weatherstripping like this. It shold be availab le at any hardware store, but you might not get the selection of widths and thicknesses you can find online.

Chr's

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

I guess the question is, is one more durable than the others so we don't blow the next seal to smithereeens and watch sawdust come spewing forth like a confetti cannon?
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

I think if you omit the foam seal, then any creases and folds in the bag because its slightly larger in circumference than the ring (otherwise you won't be able to get it on), will result is a steady exit stream of dust at the crease.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
          commented
          Editing a comment
          You are probably right. So time to grab some weather seal... Maybe I can find some closed cell foam that might hold up better.
      • dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Closed cell weather stripping ordered. Not super thick stuff, but enough to get a seal and make up for any bag wrinkles. There was like a 4" section on my old one that was literally blowing dust straight up at the celing, which I have since swiffered off....

Put all that time, money and effort into a nice well sealed dust collection system, and you end up spewing dust like a volcano due to a silly foam gasket...

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

Blowing seals might be an indication of the filter clogging up.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            LCHIEN commented
            Editing a comment
            He did say the old foam seals were rotted and crumbled away...

• dbhost

dbhost
            commented
            Editing a comment
            Filter is nice and clean. I blow it out after every use. The seal was dry and crumbling, so pretty sure it is just age and Texas hot garage wear and tear on it...
        • dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

The weather seal is here, and I don't have time to deal with it today. Tomorrow after work I will clear out all traces of the old seal, wipe the ring down, and install a new seal. Try to get as tight of a seal where the ends meet as well.

Then install a fresh bag, clamp it up, and blow down the filter again just for good measure... I have a sneaking suspicion that I will be needing maximum dust collection VERY soon...

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

If you can get away with it, eliminate the filter and just squirt the exhaust out into the yard.

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

So foam seal arrived, camper van arrived, started camper projects and guess what I managed to misplace? I think I must have tossed it in the box with the electrical parts for the camper. I am upgrading the 90s battery / charging tech the van was built with for the RV part to modern specs with solar. I am pretty sure it is in that box, or at least I hope it is... Tonights project was going to be the seal and throw a new dust bag on the collector.

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

Wouldn't you know it? I had unannounced visitors literally just as I was going to go to the shop last night. Guess I will swing for today...Or just not answer the door.

Comment

• jannickz
                  Handtools only
                  • Oct 2023

The foam seal on the collector ring is there to create a tight seal between the bag and the ring, preventing dust from escaping. If the seal is damaged or missing, dust can blow out between the bag and the ring, which can make your vacuum cleaner less effective and can also create a mess.

You can replace the foam seal with a new one, or you can try to repair the existing seal. If the seal is just slightly damaged, you may be able to repair it by using a foam adhesive or sealant. However, if the seal is badly damaged or missing, you will need to replace it.

To replace the foam seal, you will need to purchase a new foam gasket that is specifically designed for your vacuum cleaner. You can usually find these gaskets at most vacuum cleaner retailers or online.

Comment

Working...