• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Pocket hole jig drill bits.

So as of late, I am getting rough cuts / tear out with my Drill Master pocket hole jig / drill bit. When I first got the jig, and for the longest time, it cut nice clean holes, but they are getting nasty.

Which leaves me to wonder, the bit seems like it is dulling... so replacement... But are all pocket hole jig drill bits the same size? Can I use the oh so common bits for a Kreg jig?

Anyone else here with the Drill Master jig replace their bit yet? What did you use?
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Kreg step bit is like 3/8" diameter with 1/2" long pilot 1/8" dia. IIRC. Yup that's correct, I just checked.

two things: Kreg uses 15 degree angle. I think HF drill master is slightly different 12.5 maybe?

If you drill too slowly you get ragged holes. Kreg recommends at least 1800 RPM. Are you going fast enough?
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-17-2023, 05:53 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
      commented
      Editing a comment
      Full speed on my hand drill, however fast that goes... Ryobi is kind of vague with specifications on this thing... It is the old Clutch driver / drill corded. Basically a 3/8" VSR drill with a keyless clutch style chuck. It cuts better / cleaner if I plunge a bit, pull out, say 1/4" at a time to clear debris from the hole...
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Some of those battery drills are not that fast. Should say max rpm on the label.

The other issue with PHD is that the drill speed should be more than 1800 RPM while you set the screw the driver should be torque limited to prevent stripping the hole and the drill driver should probably be lower than 300 RPM

What drills the hole properly will rip out the screw threads quickly. While I mentioned its nice that its easier to swap bits now, its also more dangerous!

FWIW my Craftsman C3 drill-drivers have a H & L speed switch which gives 0-1400 RPM and 0-400 RPM respectively.
    When doing lots of PH I like to use a corded drill which does 2000 RPM to drill the holes. That was back with my old PH bits which had a 3/8" shank anyway. And a separate cordless drill driver to set the screws.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-17-2023, 06:06 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
      commented
      Editing a comment
      This isn't my cordless stuff. It's the old blue corded 3/8 drill with a clutch / keyless chuck.
  • nicer20
    Established Member
    • Sep 2007
    • Dublin, CA
    • BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
    Some of those battery drills are not that fast. Should say max rpm on the label.

The other issue with PHD is that the drill speed should be more than 1800 RPM while you set the screw the driver should be torque limited to prevent stripping the hole and the drill driver should probably be lower than 300 RPM

What drills the hole properly will rip out the screw threads quickly. While I mentioned its nice that its easier to swap bits now, its also more dangerous!
    Yep. I also use corded drill when drilling pocket holes. I also make sure the drill has reached full speed before making contact with the material.

Kreg's drill bit is the best - but I have found that Milescraft drill bit isn't that bad as an alternative. (https://www.milescraft.com/product/pocketbit/)

Comment

• Dedpedal
      Established Member
      • Feb 2020
      • Palm Coast Florida
      • One BT3000 in use and one for parts. Plus a BT3100

I wonder if the sleeve/guide is getting wallered out some and letting the bit wander.

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
        commented
        Editing a comment
        Possible, but not highly likely, its not like it is a sloppy fit...
    • capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

I think expecting flawless holes with no tear out is expecting too much for a blunt drill bit plunging into the top of the wood at about 10 degrees. It does happen sometimes and is probably wood related but the bit dulls as is being shoved down the sleeve at speed. I always thought that the bit should be inserted before starting the drill motor. My old Kreg single hole unit is over 10 yrs.old with countless drillings and it still shows no wear on the bushing.

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
        commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm pretty sure it is the bit, it's, well not the sharpest tool in the toolbox...

• LCHIEN
        LCHIEN commented
        Editing a comment
        Dave, we all anxious to hear what the sharpest tool in your shop is? :-)
    • leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

I got two new ones from Rockler about 5 years ago, an 15° angle headed one and a flat headed step drill, both from Kreg.

They are available from Amazon also.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

I see on Amazon there are a lot of vendors selling Kreg-like replacement step PH drill bits.
        What's curious to me is that they sell either pairs (one full shank and one 1/4" Hex shank) or two pairs (2 of each).
        Why is that?
        If I was buying I would want the same type of shank for all of mine. Not one of each.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	110
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	854184
        Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	103
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	854185
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-18-2023, 07:39 PM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

Working...