Hitachi PU air hose fails; Hybrid air hoses?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Hitachi PU air hose fails; Hybrid air hoses?

We've had discussions on polyurethane air hoses before, they have advantages and disadvantages,

I'm here today to specifically advise against the Hitachi/Metabo polyurethane air hose. They are bright green.
    I just had a second Hitachi hose fail with a hole; this one I have documented failed in 4 years. the First one had the same problem and failed in a similar timeframe, the failures are midway in the hose, not at the ends. I have not left these exposed to sunlight/UV, nor have I abused them running over them with heavy loads nor exposed to tight or abrasive corners. Just I think the PolyUrethane compound Hitachi uses is breaking down with short age.
    Maybe every four or five months I drag it out on my driveway to air the car tires, but its not severely abraded on the skin.

I recall having tried to repair the first Hitachi hose with a splice but it failed again soon after.

By contrast I have another hose which I bought in 2008 (12 years) in the same garage environment and its still fine. So polyurethane hoses can last.

Thus I dis-recommend the Hitachi green polyurethane air hoses. A case where a name brand is not necessarily better.

I just ordered and received the "same item" purchase again hose from Amazon I bought in 2008, but it looks different. So we'll see.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-10-2022, 01:47 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • Jim Frye
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Maumee, OH, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Have you tried a Flexzilla hose? I have a friend that installs hardwood floors that swears by them in daily use. For tire inflation on the cars and lawn mower, I use this. It stays in the garage so it's always handy. Runs forever on a 6 ahr. pack.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	B9A8CD14-5C0A-4E57-8810-539AE2DA7395.jpg Views:	0 Size:	33.4 KB ID:	849905
    Jim Frye
    The Nut in the Cellar.
    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• leehljp
      leehljp commented
      Editing a comment
      I have one of those. It is a huge time saver for me. Lawn Tractor, 2 cars, 4X8 HF Trailer, 2 lawn carts with air wheels, 2 bicycles. I use the 18V power inflator for those. I also take it with me on trips out of town. I have helped several people over the years out on the road and in need of air; and twice in our vehicles when the low air lights came on. It is a huge help for me. AS mentioned in helping others - Every time I saw someone with a flat, they were putting the temporary donut tire on, but the temp donut tire was under inflated. I used the Ryobi inflator and each time the people were amazed and thankful.
      Last edited by leehljp; 04-10-2022, 09:36 AM.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

I'm confused by what they call hybrid hoses. I guess its a fairly recent product since I haven't really shopped for hoses for more than 10 years.
    From what I read on the Internet, Apparently some manufacturers make a hybrid PVC/Rubber hose and some people make a hybrid PVC-Rubber-PU hose.
    So in all practicality unlike a 100% rubber or 100% PVC or 100% PU hose, the amount of each can vary quite a bit from nearly zero to nearly 100% making a whole range of characteristics of each.

I wish they would tell you the percent content of each material and that would help predict how the product will behave and also what the relative cost should be. Like a hose that was 80% PVC and 10% rubber and 10% PU would probably behave mostly like PVC and have crappy cold flexibility. But it should be cheap since PVC is the cheapest material of the three.
    Whereas a 80% rubber product would be mostly like a rubber hose - heavy but flexible and more costly and a hose 80% PU would be much more lightweight but grabby and doesn't like axial twist..
    One that was 33/33/33 might have the combined character of all three to a certain extent.

And just out of curiosity I ordered a 1/4" to 1/4" hose coupling splice for $5 to repair the bad hose to see how long it lasts.https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-10-2022, 01:46 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

I have the Flexzilla green coiled hose, have had it about 18 months and will see how long it lasts. I have it added onto the end of my rewind hose with red connectors. Very little air loss, but I do cut the line off and air compressor off after use, so it does not leak out from a full tank. The coiled Flexzilla added onto the end of the overhead re-wind hose really adds to the convenience of using it. Before the Flexzilla, I had to pull the hose out beyond where I knew I would have to use it. Now, I just pull it close and the Flexzilla does the rest. Very Helpful!

As to how long it lasts, I don't yet know. But I know that I got tired of buying the cheap coiled hoses from HF. They never lasted 3 years for me before breaking or developing a leak in the hose itself, not at a fitting.

I kept them with my portable air tanks in a shed, unheated and uncooled. Temps inside in the 100's in the summer and down to mid teens in the winter.
      Last edited by leehljp; 04-10-2022, 04:24 PM.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
        commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm 10 years on my HF yellow coiled hoses. I have 2 of them, no issues. Not saying they are great as they have stretched, lost their coil more or less... But no air leaks, yet. I am probably due...
    • dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
      I'm confused by what they call hybrid hoses. I guess its a fairly recent product since I haven't really shopped for hoses for more than 10 years.
      From what I read on the Internet, Apparently some manufacturers make a hybrid PVC/Rubber hose and some people make a hybrid PVC-Rubber-PU hose.
      So in all practicality unlike a 100% rubber or 100% PVC or 100% PU hose, the amount of each can vary quite a bit from nearly zero to nearly 100% making a whole range of characteristics of each.

I wish they would tell you the percent content of each material and that would help predict how the product will behave and also what the relative cost should be. Like a hose that was 80% PVC and 10% rubber and 10% PU would probably behave mostly like PVC and have crappy cold flexibility. But it should be cheap since PVC is the cheapest material of the three.
      Whereas a 80% rubber product would be mostly like a rubber hose - heavy but flexible and more costly and a hose 80% PU would be much more lightweight but grabby and doesn't like axial twist..
      One that was 33/33/33 might have the combined character of all three to a certain extent.

And just out of curiosity I ordered a 1/4" to 1/4" hose coupling splice for $5 to repair the bad hose to see how long it lasts.https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
      I have the green hybrid hose from Home Depot. Probably the Husky brand. Major do not recommend. Started leaking within 2 years, and kinks if you so much as deign to look in its direction.

I have not had the same results you have with the Hitach hoses, but mine, and it is only one, NEVER leaves the shop, and is honestly rarely used.

I have found that in the shop I tend to use the cheap nylon coil hoses I got from Harbor Freight for nailers and such, and a 3/8" ID PU hose I got off of Amazon, brand unknown for sanders and spray guns.

I never take anything but drag the rubber air hose from the reel out to the driveway, especially since I moved the reel to just inside the shop door.

Part of me wants ot move the reel so I can just poke the end out the shop wall and grab it from the outside as that is the only way I ever use it anyway...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Tom Slick
        Veteran Member
        • May 2005
        • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
        • sears BT3 clone

I've never had issues with polyurethane hoses and some of mine are over a decade old. I do like Blubird hoses, which are not polyurethane, and seem to last awhile in the welding shop at work.
        https://www.amazon.com/stores/BLUBIR...C?ref_=ast_bln
        Last edited by Tom Slick; 04-10-2022, 04:00 PM.
        Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• LCHIEN
          LCHIEN commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow, hello old member. Haven't seen your name here in many years. Or your blog/website?
      • LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

for a few bucks, I got a hose coupler to repair the hose even though I got a new one.

The hole - the tiny white slit in the center.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	P4110966.jpg Views:	0 Size:	104.5 KB ID:	849931

Curious as to how long it will last before it pops another leak.
        The repair make sure to put the nuts on first. A little dish soap makes it easy to get the hose over the barbs.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	1-4 inch hose repair kit.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	849950

Click image for larger version  Name:	P4110962.jpg Views:	0 Size:	90.7 KB ID:	849927 Click image for larger version  Name:	P4110963.jpg Views:	0 Size:	171.8 KB ID:	849930 Click image for larger version  Name:	P4110964.jpg Views:	0 Size:	116.6 KB ID:	849929 Click image for larger version  Name:	P4110965.jpg Views:	0 Size:	67.4 KB ID:	849926
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-12-2022, 12:48 AM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• LCHIEN
          LCHIEN commented
          Editing a comment
          That lasted a long time - until the next time I pressured the hose. Developed a 1" long split elsewhere in the hose after 5 minutes of use indicating the general and not localized deterioration of the PU. Again, not a high stress area. Guess I'll save the splice and maybe the ends and toss the rest of the hose.
      • leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

While we talk/write about our hoses (and often other items) and how they last a long time or do not last long at all, even for the same make or model, there are a lot of differences in "use environments" that make a hose or other item work or not work.

Recently in another thread, I mentioned how my big tool boxes were not conducive to the way I work, but a couple of people replied that they work in their shop with their tools; but for me (and one other) we had similar tools but the most of our usage was NOT in the shop, but on the road, at relatives houses etc.

That said, Some probably keep their hoses in a mild temp environment, while some may be exposed to sunlight for a few hours each day. Mine are in a shed that has the southwest sun baking it. That can makes a huge difference in the materials durability. I now keep mine in the shade under a shop porch.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by leehljp
          While we talk/write about our hoses (and often other items) and how they last a long time or do not last long at all, even for the same make or model, there are a lot of differences in "use environments" that make a hose or other item work or not work.

Recently in another thread, I mentioned how my big tool boxes were not conducive to the way I work, but a couple of people replied that they work in their shop with their tools; but for me (and one other) we had similar tools but the most of our usage was NOT in the shop, but on the road, at relatives houses etc.

That said, Some probably keep their hoses in a mild temp environment, while some may be exposed to sunlight for a few hours each day. Mine are in a shed that has the southwest sun baking it. That can makes a huge difference in the materials durability. I now keep mine in the shade under a shop porch.
          You are probably right. For what it's worth I KNOW my garage workshop is steadier temp wise than most due to the insulation and radiatn barrier. If I recall from Loring's pics, he has open stud walls with no insulation etc... so most likely going to get and stay MUCH hotter in his garage workshop. Now is that going to take a hit to the hoses? Not sure. And honestly That would be a concern is a difference by maybe 10 to 15 deg F while stored would reduce the life of the hose that much...

Could it perhaps be chemical exposure?

FWIW, my first Hitachi hose blew out in 10 days and Lowes replaced it over the counter with the one I currently have....
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• twistsol
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
            • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I have a Legacy Air hose reel with a PVC hose that I bought from Northern Tool 12 years ago. It has always been in the garage which varies from about freezing up to the mid 80's and never had a problem with it. It's been used in temps from -20 to 100. If environment is a factor, my tools live in luxury and often work in extreme conditions.

I also have a Flexzilla hose that I use as an extension when I need more than 75' which I really like, but it is only about 4 years old, so no data on its eventual longevity. It remains amazingly flexible even in sub zero temperatures.
            Chr's

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

While being in the garage environment may not be good for it, having one PU brand since 2008 (14 years) and still good and having two Hitachi PU hoses go bad in less time (as short as four years each) says that Hitachi's PU formulation is not good at all.
              Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-18-2022, 02:57 AM.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

Is this your regular go to hose? In my shop my primary hose is the cheap yellow coiled hoses, in the driveway it is the red rubber hose. I wonder if it is repeated pressure on / off cycles causing this... I have been through something like 4 or 5 coil hoses, and I am on my 2nd 50' rubber hose since I got my 8 gallon compressor. And the 2nd Hitachi hose. First one failed almost instantly and like I said, was echanged over the counter at Lowes it was that quick. This one I have had since maybe 2008, but have used it less than a dozen times in that time frame...

I actually got it on your recommendation but don't recall why I stopped using it. I just never grew to like it enough to make it my regular hose...

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

DBHost, this is how I used the Hitachi hose.

Cleaning the shop I found this naked air hose reel I rescued from work many years back. Blew off the cobwebs, oiled the very squeaky reel and fashioned a wood crank handle for it. Put some air fittings on it and pressure/leak tested. A quick base from scrap wood. Works great! I've been keeping my driveway PU hose on one of

Carried it outside and unreeled it when working on the car tires, mostly. And maybe once every other month. Not much wear and tear.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Maybe not much, but certainly a lot more than mine got / gets/ I know I won't likely get replaced when it dies.

And I know the Hybrid hoses I have tried kink way too easily. I may try a different brand PU hose, but I REALLY would prefer one with a 3/8" ID, Amazon has several that seem to be reasonably well rated, but I would expect shorter life out of a PU hose than a rubber one, but that is kind of hte cost of having a lighter weight hose I guess. Maybe?

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

I kind of expect PU to have a long life but I imagine there are all sorts of variations of formulation.
                      I just know one PU hose I have kept in the garage and pressured up everytime I use the compressor is 14 years old and has no issues. So I know that PU CAN last a long time.
                      This discussion for some reason keeps dialing in on PU issues in general but I really think its the fault of the particular PU that Hitachi uses as I have pointed out several times.
                      In general I am satisfied with Polyurethane hoses:
                      On the plus side
                      Very small, very light, very flexible, no temperature problems stiffening at 50 degrees and under.
                      On the minus side
                      Popular 1/4" ID size may not be enough flow for high flow tools. It sticks to itself, and it does not like twisting. Pull it off the side of a coil and it will take a terrible coil. But unroll it off a reel either stationary or hand held electric extension cord reel, it is just great lying in a straight flat line. Wind it up the same way.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P4200979.jpg Views:	0 Size:	163.8 KB ID:	850199 Click image for larger version  Name:	P4200980.jpg Views:	0 Size:	382.9 KB ID:	850198
                      Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-21-2022, 04:58 PM.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

Working...