• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Roller tool stands.

So I have a pair of old Harbor Freight roller outfeed stands that work great, but are fixed tripods, not the newer folding units, and they suck up a TON of space that, well don't need to be sucked up...

I probably need to just go to Harbor Freight and buy a pair of the folding ones and just offload these. The issue is they take up too much storage space when not in use.

Is there a way to easily convert the current fixed base tripod stands to some sort of folding arrangement?
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Picture?
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

There you go...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Well lunch made this moot.

The taco truck the wife loves to go to is just downt he street from the Webster TX Harbor Freight.

She was feeling bad that I spoiled her on V day and, well... her extended family kind of messed the day up for us... Long story but I digress...

She knew I have been wanting folding roller stands for a while, and urged me to drop by HF and grab a pair, so I did, and they are already assembled, in my home office waiting to go to the shop.

Build quality on these folders is WAY better than the old ones,

Not sure if / how I can repurpose the old ones, or if anyone in Houston metro could use a pair of the old style. I no longer want them...

Comment

• capncarl
          capncarl commented
          Editing a comment
          Yard sale?
      • LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

well, didn't know you solved the issue but here's how my stand(s) get stored... on the ceiling.

They were light enough and tall enough I could just grab one leg and lift it off the hooks without using a stool or ladder..
        It is off the floor and mostly over the bandsaw.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P2200861.JPG Views:	0 Size:	128.3 KB ID:	848607
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-20-2022, 04:29 AM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

Wow! Yours must be real old. I have had the folding kind for as long as I can remember, at least back to 2000, IIRC.
          The ones I have are like this: https://www.harborfreight.com/132-lb...and-68898.html
          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
            commented
            Editing a comment
            They probably go back and forth between models. I think mine were bought between 2008 - 2010 when I initially built out the shop. When I bought,HF didn't offer folding stands. Oddly enough, folding roller stands ARE one of those items that have gone down in price considering the ones I bought were $17.99 each, when I looked at the ones at Home Depot and Amazon before I bought my HF stands, folderswere something like $50.00 each...
        • LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

I have both the fixed three legged ones and the folding ones.
          The three legged ones have one good feature and one bad feature, well, they are the same feature, that they are lightweight.
          That is both an advantage and a disadvantage depending on how heavy the item is you are rolling across it. Easy to move, but easy to knock over and lose control.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

I have 2 fold up with roller tops but no casters that I use quite often and 3 heavy duty 3 legged adjustable with only a bar for the tops. The 3 are clumsy and have been sentence for a life in the wood shed and are only used for saw horses and painting stands. They are useful so if you don’t have saw horses you might keep them hid away somewhere.

Comment

• cwsmith
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2005
              • NY Southern Tier, USA.
              • BT3100-1

I have two folding stands that I bought a decade or so ago. I used them to support the infeed and/or outfeed of my BT when it was here in the basement. Since moving the shop out to the shed I haven't had much need. I liked the Craftsman as it had a couple of nice features, like a built in leg leveler, and a flip up guide at the ends of the roller so you're board wouldn't slip off. Our Sears closed a few years ago, so I don't know if these are still available.

CWS

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2270r.JPG Views:	5 Size:	113.0 KB ID:	848636
              Last edited by cwsmith; 02-21-2022, 07:53 PM. Reason: Changed end of first line from "have" to "haven't".... typo!
              Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
                commented
                Editing a comment
                That's more or less what my new folding Harbor Freight stands look like. Mind you, outfeed support from the BT is on my workbench. I really only need the roller stands for planer / jointer / bandsaw work support. So not a ton of use, but enough to actually need them.

• cwsmith
                cwsmith commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, now that the saw is located in the shed, I have a HF wooden top cabinet located to act as 'outfeed'. The two roller stands now are stored to the side of the shop; nice that they don't take up a lot of room.
            • LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

I use roller stands for miter saw, drill press, and thickness planer support of long items infeed or outfeed.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• cwsmith
                cwsmith commented
                Editing a comment
                I've got my RAS and Drill Press located adjacent to each other so one supports the other; and the miter saw, when used has it's own folding stand with integral and adjustable supports which extend from each end. The stand is a Ryobi, which at the time was only $99. It's heavy and unfortunately without wheels. Okay to carry a short distance, but otherwise having a two-wheel dolly helps. The roller stands still come in handy on occasion. I certainly am glad that I have them.
            • Carlos
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

I made a lower cabinet for the DP, and mounted a roller to it. No floor space used. Because I "nested" my miter station next to the DP, the one roller works for both. I put the OEM outfeed roller table on the drum sander, that's been great. I have an outfeed table for the TS. So I just realized I should get rid of my folding roller stand, haven't touched it in years I think.

Comment

Working...