• Show
Clear All
  • Jim Frye
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Maumee, OH, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

How Long Does A Glue Join Last?

How long will your glued project last before the glue join fails? Modern wood glues are incredibly strong and moisture resistant and the documentation I've seen really doesn't say much due to environmental conditions that may arise during the lifespan of the piece. Titebond says their original formula was developed in the early '50s, but no statement on how long it will hold up. I've seen hide glue from the '50s fail and I have pieces done with TBII back in the early '90s still solid. So, it appears to be something of a crap shoot on how long our work will be around in the future. Anybody have an opinion?
    Jim Frye
    The Nut in the Cellar.
    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

It depends on things. You know, things! Type of wood, is this wood porus so the glue really absorbed into the pores, how much does the wood move. How high temperature is the wood stored in. Is it subject or moisture, these types of things.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

The line I've often heard is that long grain to long grain PVA wood glue joints are stronger than the wood itself.
      Taking or more aptly, breaking apart old joints seems to back this up. The wood splits at various grain lines rather than failing at the glued joint line.

What age are you talking about? if it's only 50 years old then its going to be hard to find examples older than 50 years!
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-27-2022, 01:04 PM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

This begs the question. When was "modern" wood glue first commonly used. In my Lifetime its always been there...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• twistsol
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
          • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

It also depends on what type of joint you are talking about and what stresses are on the joint.
          I had an antique dresser with hide glue split along a glue joint on the top. I doubt the repaired PVA joint will ever fail again.
          Dovetail joints have lasted hundreds of years with no failure.
          Stretchers on some chair legs seem to last about 6 months regardless of glue.
          Whatever modern glue from 1978 was used on the kitchen cabinet doors in my parents old house failed after about 35 years ... right about the time I bought the house.
          Chr's

Comment

• capncarl
            capncarl commented
            Editing a comment
            I suppose that in joints that we intend to last forever should have biscuits, dominos, dowels or tongue and groove.
        • dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by twistsol
          It also depends on what type of joint you are talking about and what stresses are on the joint.
          I had an antique dresser with hide glue split along a glue joint on the top. I doubt the repaired PVA joint will ever fail again.
          Dovetail joints have lasted hundreds of years with no failure.
          Stretchers on some chair legs seem to last about 6 months regardless of glue.
          Whatever modern glue from 1978 was used on the kitchen cabinet doors in my parents old house failed after about 35 years ... right about the time I bought the house.
          I have a I guess you could call it an antique record / liquor cabinet one of my neighbrs fathers had made as a newlywed in 1957. When I got it the top panel was unglued and literally pin nailed in place.

To repair it, I drilled and filled the nail holes, and the 2 board panels that had separated (edge grain) were biscuited and reglued No idea what the original glue was, but I suspect it was hide glue. Per the neighbor the top had been nailed shut for at least 5 years at that time. So figure...

1957 to 2015? Not quite 60 years.

Mind you, if my repair lasts another 60 years, it will no longer be my problem.

Oh and for what it's worth, it made a wonderful cat food cabinet. Although my wife is now collecting enough vinyl to possibly need to press it back into that service...
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

I’ve never heard if the freshness of the glue has anything to do with its service life when used fresh vrs used after it starts thickening. It’s not just about it being thin and absorbing into the wood as the chemicals might not do their magic when out of date!

Comment

Working...