• Show
Clear All
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Bandsaw Tires

I was using my bandsaw last week and the blade came off the pulleys, at least I thought. On inspection I found the upper pulley tire was out of the groove and was walking off the pulley. I put it back in place, reset the blade and started the saw. In less than a minute the tire had started off the pulley again. I had replaced the tires a while back and still had the old tires. I put them back on and the saw is running fine now. In all fairness the problem was my fault. I had put the saw away with the blade under tension.

The old tires are cracked and need to be replaced. No problem. Just go to the Grizzly website and order a set of tires. $32.00 for the pair. Not bad but when I went to check out I get hit with $15.00 for shipping. Ain't no way I'm going to pay 50% more in shipping for an item that small.

Amazon has multiple listings for 14" tires ranging from $15.00 to $45.00, most with free next day or 2 day shipping. The problem I am seeing is all of the Amazon listings show the tires to be 1" wide. Grizzly states the original rubber tires on their 14" saw are 15/16" wide. Anyone tried any of the tires other than those from Grizzly on a Grizzly bandsaw?
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

I thought I had bought a set from Amazon but could not find it. My daughter lives in the Springfield MO area so I bought a set from them when I was there about 2 years ago. I agree with you that Grizzly's shipping is outrageous compared to almost every other company that ships things out - large or small.

I did buy a set of orange urethane tires back around 2014 or so and replaced them in 2019 with Grizzly tires. I am sure I bought those orange ones from Amazon though. I personally don't think the 1/16 inch will make a difference in this case.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Considering the blade runs on the center of the tire and the overhang will be no more than 1/32" (.0312") and you are probably using blades under than an inch wide, I think it would be OK.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

Have you tried putting the tire that was walking off the wheel in a pot of hot ( tap water hot) and let it set and soften and relax. Put it back on and let it sit before putting a blade on it and try it. Urethane does funny things, I’ve had 0 rings completely come out of a pipe connection when overtighened. Don’t forget to relax the tension!

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

Thanks for the responses. I'll try Carl's suggestion first along with a thorough cleaning of the pulleys before I put them on. If that doesn't work I'll buy a set off Amazon based on the best reviews and customer comments.
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

The Amazon tires are listed as compatible with Grizzly specifically. I would think they would work. I ordered a set to replace the aging tires on my Central Machinery bandsaw, so I will be doing the same project here shortly...
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...