• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Sanding belts keep blowing up!

So yeah, it's been a while since I have replaced the sanding belts on both my Rigid oscillating belt / spindle sander, AND my Chicago Electric 4x24 belt sanders.

I had some Harbor Freight 4x24 80 grit belts in my spares, threw them on, and almost instantly they came separate at the glue joint. I no longer see these on the HF website BTW.

FWIW, sanding curves into a panel and having the belt come undone on you stings a bit...

I am taking a shot at a 10 pack of Powertec 40 grit belts.

Will keep you posted on how well these do.

FWIW, I have used Powertec sanding media over the years with good results.

WIsh me luck!

Oh and FWIW, I kind of need these soon / now. I am making some custom items for camping (support stand for on demand hot water heater / shower).
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

I can’t remember the title of a previous post when all of my belts turned into long skinny sheets. My research showed that the tape strip used to splice sanding belts is time sensitive and has a limited shelf life. You never know how long a belt has set in someone’s warehouse.
    I am using HF 6x48 belts with really good results. A 5 pack for $15 vrs 1 belt from Lowe’s for $35.

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

I have bought sanding belts from Online Industrial Supply with good results and fast shipping.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

probably too old. Glue only good for a year they claim.
        Could not find a tape that would hold despite trying for two whole days to reassemble them.
        PVA wood glue bonds really well to the belts but finding a thin filament fabric that would stand up was not possible - I tried pieces of Tyvek envelopes/
        Keep your space belts in air conditioned house, not garage.
        Check out this thread
        https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...-power-sanders

and

https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...plice-breaking
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-11-2021, 03:41 AM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Oh yeah. I go through maybe 2 belts a year. So theese were well over a year old...

Why the heck do they make them with more or less a timer built into the glue? They really sting when they let go!
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Jim Frye
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Maumee, OH, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

I agree that the tape join on sanding belts have a shelf life. I bought a bunch of 3x21 belts at the local tool store because they were on sale. After a few years, they all separated at the splice when first used. My basement shop has a consistent 62-66 degree temperature and the humidity is regulated by a dehumidifier, so the environment is not a factor. Now I only buy them when needed.
            Jim Frye
            The Nut in the Cellar.
            ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

Working...