• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Tips for using hole saw

If you don't know this tip for using hole saws, you should.
    Hole saws are an effective way to cut large holes... won't do flat bottom closed holes but will do through holes and also make circles and cylinders with the cut off part, unlike a Forstner which basically eats the inside. And larger holes than Forstners.

The problem with hole saws is they make a narrow slot kerf with no escape or flutes for cuttings to be ejected, unlike a Forstner which has flutes to allow cuttings to come out the center. With the hole saw the cuttings are reground by the teeth and literally load up the gullets with tightly compacted sawdust which in turn heats up with friction and burns and prevents cutting. You have to very frequently lift the cutter saw clear and use a stiff brush to clean out the compacted cuttings. This is slow and aggravating, it doesn't take much cutting to completely load up the gullets between the teeth.

The secret to fast hole saw cutting is a relief hole. Depending on whether your objective is the circle cut out or the hole, you put the relief hole intersecting the saw kerf and on the inside if you want a hole, or on the outside if you need a wheel.

I generally make a first shallow cut with the hole saw so put the kerf into the wood. Then I remove the hole saw and put in a 1/2" brad point, and position the drill so that it overlaps the kerf. I drill all the way through the piece and then remove the drill and replace the hole saw, repositioning is easy with the hole saw pilot bit.
    Now drill the saw though at least halfway. You'll find that drilling goes much better because now the sawdust falls out of the kerf groove into the 1/2" hole you drilled. I still flip the work over and drill the remaining depth from the other side... pilot hole again lines this up perfectly. You may still need to clear the bit periodically but the drilling will go way faster and not load up nearly so fast. Here i wanted the finished hole rather than the plug so I drilled the relief on the inside.

Click image for larger version  Name:	block - hole saw.JPG Views:	0 Size:	98.2 KB ID:	840290

If you need both the hole and the wheel in the end, then this won't work as you see it leaves a rather obvious hole behind.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-28-2020, 12:18 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • Carlos
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

That's interesting, thanks. I wonder if it would help when using hole saws in metal too? I almost never use them on wood.

Comment

• cwsmith
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
      • BT3100-1

Good tip! I rarely use hole saws, but they are certainly nice to have available when you need them. Years ago I bought one of those "300-piece" sets that were manufactured by some company in Australia. My locals Lowe's had them on sale around the holidays for $75. It was great for keeping at the drill press and I've yet to have any of those bits break. It contained four hole-saw blades. A few months ago, I bought a carbide set of seven from Lee-Valley. They're metric and came in a nice aluminum case. Some time in the not too distance future I've got to drill a few holes in the side of my work shed to accommodate dust collection and smaller services. I figured I should take advantage of the L-V offering when they made it.

Your post of a "relief hole" was well received and I'll give it a try.

Thanks,

CWS
      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

There is no reason this method wouldn’t work on metal. Usually you will not be cutting that thick of metal, but you still have to raise the saw to relieve the shavings.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

I have a nice Lennox set of hole saws.

They work pretty well, but the first times using them I had the problem with the gullets loading up and starting to burn while not cutting any more.

Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Pappy
            The Full Monte
            • Dec 2002
            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 (x2)

Good tip, Loring. Thanks for posting.
            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
            Fools because they have to say something.
            Plato

Comment

Working...