• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

What is a Quality Drill Bit set

What is a quality drill bit set for mild steel 1/16 to 1/2 by 32nds or 64th?

I am tired of the HF and even HD drill sets that break even on soft/mild metal. I have enough bit sets for general work and wood, but every once in a while I need to drill some precision holes that look smooth. I have punches to center and get started; I'm Just tired of bits that drill 3 or 4 holes and get dull or break. Maybe I need an oiler too.

I know about Norse and I saw Walter brands on Amazon. I do not anything about the Walter brand but they look good. Other brands? I probably won't get them any time soon but I sure could use a good set by the summer time.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • Jim Frye
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Maumee, OH, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

I've always considered drill bits for metal to be pretty much sacrificial. Probably because I don't do that sort of work on a weekly basis. I have a set of B&D bits for general metal drilling and a bunch of General tap bits for drilling holes to be threaded. I know, none of these are "quality" drill bits, but they've lasted for years. I do use a PTFE oil as a drill lube when these are used. Looking forward to see what brands are recommended.
    Jim Frye
    The Nut in the Cellar.
    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• cwsmith
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
      • BT3100-1

Hank,

For the life of me, I couldn't remember what we used at the Rand, where all drilling is in cast and heavy steel sheet stock. Probably well beyond what any of us would want to pay, but I'll ask the next time I'm out there. My first thoughts would be Milwaukee or Bosch, as I know they highly rated for their tools and their cutting consumables, even Irwin. Milwaukee makes a pretty decent "impact-rated" bit set, which I would think offer superior duty against breakage (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...E&gclsrc=aw.ds).

So I did a Google search for "quality drill bits and got this link to an article in Popular Mechanics (https://www.popularmechanics.com/hom...rill-bit-sets/), maybe it will be helpful.

I've got several drill bit sets from HF, decent enough for wood, but I don't do a lot of metal work. Several years ago (like maybe two decades) I bought a Craftsman "Electrician's Tap & Drill Set", came in a small yellow folding case with the number 9-5208 on it. six bits and six taps with a T-handle; no idea who made that and I've used them more times than I can remember to drill and tap soft steel, brass, and copper and the only bit I've had to replace was the 1/16th. That set was made in the U.S.A. so doubt that it's still available today. I also have a large set of bits my wife bought me several Christmas's ago. It's made by an Australian company I believer, GMC. I haven't used on steel more than a couple times though. I haven't broken any of those, but then they are almost exclusively for use with my drill press. The set was in a large plastic container, with two drawers and a storage lid, I think she paid about $100 for the set of around a 100 bits for wood and metal. I believe I've read mixed ratings on those.

Hope this is helpful and Merry Christmas to you and your family,

CWS
      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• LCHIEN
        LCHIEN commented
        Editing a comment
        I still have that Craftsman Electricians drill and tap set, too. with the yellow plastic case, from the mid 70's.
    • leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

Thanks CWS. That was a good PM article. I will look at the Milwaukee set, but open to see what others suggest.

I have a bunch of 3/4 and 1 inch square steel tubing from disassembled clothes racks that was used in department stores years ago. Great for framing and reinforcement for utility tables. I used a couple of tubes under the table top for the router table so that in the long run the weight of the two routers would not make it sag . The tubings are not too hard to drill but the HF Ti coated bits world fare but they need sharpening now and I only made 8 sets of holes.
      Hank Lee

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

I’d recommend purchasing drill bits for metal from a jobber like Fastenal or a welding supply co. They sell to metal workers and fabricators. I use Tap Magic on drill bits and taps. I have drill bits that I’ve used on metal for years that I still frequently use. A quick sharpening on my hard stone grinder and they are good as new. Note... I’ve always worked with stainless steel and learned early how to drill and tap metal.

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

As far as recommending a quality set of drill bits for metal I would counter with just buying a couple each of the popular sizes that you possibly use, maybe one over and under size. I have a number of full fractional size drill indexes with 80% of the bits that have never been used, and number and letter bit indexes that probably have 99% of the bits unused. With a little planning you can choose bits for tapping and drilling in metric and fractional sizes, get spares for the popular sizes in case you ruin some, and have a good working set of bits for lot less than a nice index full of bits that won’t ever be used.
          capncarl

Comment

• Slik Geek
            • Dec 2006
            • Lake County, Illinois
            • Ryobi BT-3000

The first time I used quality drill bits I was shocked how much better they were than the cheap ones I had been using previously. It was a set made by Hansen in the USA shortly before they gave in and moved production to you know where. I agree with capncarl that a good source for quality bits is the companies that sell to professionals. (I personally have used McMaster Carr for drill bits). Triumph may be a good source. You can special order the Triumph bits from BORG. Be prepared for the shock of spending over $100 for a 29 piece set (1/16" to 1/2" in 1/64" increments) given that you may be used to bargain-priced cheap bits.

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

WOW! I just checked McMaster Carr and they are $220 - $240 for 1/16 to 1/2 in 64th increments for the "Long Life" sets. I was expecting $100 - $130/$140 range. They have Standard ones, which are in the $120-$130 range though.

Carl, I want a good set and after getting that, I will probably buy individuals to replace often used. It looks like, if they do like I expect, it will be a while before needing replacements. The more I look at the "long lasting" bits at Mcmaster-Carr in the $200 range - that might solve things for a long time.

I remember back as a kid in the 50's on our farm, drill bits that bore through cast iron and hardened steel and all kinds of things and they lasted. I wondered what happed to that kind of bits but I realize that my dad bought at a different place than the hardware store. He did buy from welding supply places.
              Last edited by leehljp; 12-23-2018, 07:53 AM.
              Hank Lee

Comment

• Slik Geek
                Slik Geek commented
                Editing a comment
                Not only last longer, but are more pleasurable to use. That was my discovery with quality drill bits. They cut so much better than the cheap ones.
            • capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

I have a collection of cobalt drill bits that I use for more precise work. NOT BE CONFUSED WITH THE BOX STORE BRAND KOBALT. If I am just going to drill a hole in a run of the mill project with my hand drill or milling machine where I’m not that concern about dead on accuracy I use a jobber bit because I have a lot of jobber bits. If I really desire accuracy then I use a cobalt drill bit in the milling machine. Google cobalt twist drill bit sets, they can be found in smaller combination sets that don’t contain as many of the seldom used sizes for less than $200. I have had good luck with Drill Hog cobalt bits that I purchase at car show swap meets. If I had to choose one bit set for metal work it would be the cobalt set.

???? WHATS A JOBBER DRILL BIT ???? A ½ inch diameter jobber drill will be able to drill a hole 4 ½ inches deep because it is9 times the diameter in length, for example. Basically, jobber bits are the most common type of drill size available today and the term is used to generally refer to drills that are between 9 to 14 times the diameter in length.

capncarl

Comment

• capncarl
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Leesburg Georgia USA
                • SawStop CTS

The secret to successfully using a metal drilling bit is the cooling/ cutting fluid. I use Tap magic. Just a drop or two changes a cutting operation from is this bit cutting to dang what a curl of metal. It’s 100 times better than just a drop of oil.

Comment

• Black walnut
                  Administrator
                  • Aug 2015
                  • BT3K

If there is an independent industrial supply business you might check there. Often their prices are competitive with the larger stores and due to their need for repeat business they carry quality goods.

One of my brothers works at such a place and I buy my bits from him. Generally buy screw length bits, shorter and less likely to break.
                  just another brick in the wall...

Boycott McAfee. They placed an unresponsive popup on my pc.

Comment

• mpc
                    • Feb 2005
                    • Cypress, CA, USA.
                    • BT3000 orig 13amp model

I haven't done tons of metal drilling nor have I tried many brands of drill bits. Somewhere along the line though I purchased a small set of Dewalt cobalt bits and used one to drill metal after getting nothing but "a burnished pit" with my regular drill bits before it was dull. Comparing drill bit types and materials at the Borg - reading the packages to see what each thought it was "best" for and knowing price and quality tend to go hand-in-hand - led me to gamble on the Dewalt cobalts. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! That set is now my go-to bits for any/all metal drilling. So another vote for cobalt bits. Is Dewalt the best? I can't say - they're the only cobalt bits I've tried.

I've never used regular cutting oil either; I typically use a drop or two of plain Mobil 1 engine oil as that's what I have nearby. I'll have to see if I can find "Tap Magic" and give that a test.

mpc

Comment

• durango dude
                      • Mar 2011
                      • a thousand or so feet above insanity
                      • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

I like my cobalt set from Grizzly.

Comment

• Carlos
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2004
                        • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

I've been very pleased with DeWalt Cobalt bits with the pilot points. The pilot grabs a center punch divot really well, and they seem to last "forever" even when I do some dumb things on metal. I have stopped buying any other bits.

+100 on the Tap Magic fluid.

Comment

• leehljp
                          Just me
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Tunica, MS
                          • BT3000/3100

I ordered some Tap Magic and look forward to using it. I almost bought some cobalt bits through Amazon but will wait until my birthday in a couple of weeks.

This has been an informative thread. I hadn't realized how much I have been missing in this area, especially since I do mostly wood working.
                          Hank Lee

Comment

Working...