• Show
Clear All
  • cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Lil Ripper/Stripper

I don't know how much electrical work some of you members do, but I just discovered a new tool and thought it well worth bringing to your attention, if you don't already know about it.

I'm getting ready to start the wiring in the new shop, although I'm presently waiting for my local electrical permit to be granted. I've done a bit of electrical work over the years, including putting in a new service at an older home a few years ago. Nothing that almost anyone can do, if you're a bit handy, knowledgeable, and up to date on the NEC rules as well as any particulars that your local zoning codes require.

Here in NY, a home owner can do their own work, permit granted, as long as you stay away from the main electric panel... going in there requires a Master Electrician! BUT, any electrical work a home owner does, must have a permit and it must be properly inspected... twice; once for the 'rough-in' and a second time for the final, before it's hooked into the panel (that requires a Master Electrician).

So, I'm getting my tools in order and in doing so I'm reminded of how much I hate slicing the sheathing on Romex (NM cable and the like). Probably just me, but those folded-steel tools are a bear to use and it seems like a lot more effort than it should be.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cr-100.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	801030

So I'm thinking there ought to be a better way by now (my Dad used those rippers, and taught me in my teen years back in the late 50's). So a little bit of browsing and I discovered this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	fde6a445-aa17-48c6-b8cc-6cbde91f9dab_1000.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	801032

It's made by Ideal and is named the Lil' Ripper/Stripper (#45-025). Did some checking and found Home Depot has them (but Lowes doesn't, not yet anyway) for about $5, which isn't much more than the traditional ripper. Here's a YouTube video produced by Ideal:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Klp2kFyYgFA

I bought this tool yesterday and I am very impressed. The job is so simple and easy that even my wife can do it. In addition to ripping the sheathing with far less effort, the tool also has a cutter to remove the loosened sheathing, strip the wires, and can even perfectly form the hook for fastening to the fixture screw. In addition, it can also be used to give you a bit more leverage when tightening wire nuts.

- rips NM sheathing
    - slices off the split
    - strips the wire
    - loops the copper for the terminal screw
    - twists the wire nut

Many of you may already know of this (then why haven't I seen a post? ), but in case you don't, I thought it well worth the posting... even though it's not exactly woodworking.

CWS

ps No affiliation whatsoever... just thought it a neat tool
    Attached Files
    Last edited by cwsmith; 01-31-2016, 07:25 PM. Reason: additional info
    Think it Through Before You Do!
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

That is a "gotta have" tool for me. I don't do electrical regularly but often enough. That was an informative video. Thanks.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• cwsmith
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
      • BT3100-1

Lee,

Glad you too thought it was a neat tool. I've actually found it pretty handy, considering before I'd have to first use the Romex Slicer, then the side cutters, then the wire strippers and finally the needle nose pliers to bend the hook in the wire. Now I just use this tool which you can stick in your shirt pocket.

I wonder why they didn't find a way to incorporate a screwdriver too... to tighten the terminal screws?

Thanks,

CWS

Comment

• poolhound
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2006
        • Phoenix, AZ
        • BT3100

Nice to know. I have one of those sheet metal versions. It does the job and is certainly a step up from the pair of cutters and Strippers and pliers. Having rewired my first house 30 years ago I have done a few wiring jobs since then. Not sure if there are any more in my future bit if there are I will look out for this new tool.
        Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
        techzibits.com

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

OK, now I gotta' have one! Many times I rip the sheathing off with a utility knife with the blade just barely protruding and I end up knicking the insulation inside. Looks really handy compared to switching back and forth between various tools.

Thanks!

Comment

• tfischer
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2003
            • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
            • BT3100

That's a cool tool I didn't know about. I have the original silver sheath remover but in practice I tend to just slit the end of the romex with a knife then use the ground conductor like a zip cord which works pretty well (then cut of the outer sheath with a box cutter. I have a standard stripping tool (by Ideal also) that does all the other stuff, although I prefer using a pliers for the wire twists.

In Minnesota homeowners can do their own electrical (even in the main panel) but are supposed to pull a permit.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

$14-21 bucks at Amazon. $5 is a bargain at HD. Here: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ideal-Lil...-025/202276237
              Ideal ripper stripper #45-025
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• os1kne
                • Jan 2003
                • Atlanta, GA
                • BT3100

I've never noticed that tool before. I've done a fair amount of wiring the past few years, and always used either the sheet metal version or a utility knife. I'm going to be doing a lot of wiring (finishing my basement) this summer, and it looks like a time-saver. I'll be picking one up on my next trip to HD. Thanks for sharing!
                Bill

Comment

• os1kne
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Atlanta, GA
                  • BT3100

Over this past weekend, I was helping my FIL wire a few outlets in his basement. I never really noticed how much "tool-switching" I normally do (cut off the excess romex, strip the sheath, cut the stripped sheath, strip the insulation, make hooks on the ends, loosen/tighten the screws to the receptacle, screw the receptacle to the box). If the tool works well, it could eliminate/minimize the tool changes in the middle.
                  Bill

Comment

• os1kne
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Atlanta, GA
                    • BT3100

Here's a follow-up review, after using the tool a bit. If you need to remove a lot of romex sheathing, this thing is great. But, for the majority of electrical work I found myself sticking with my other tools.
                    Bill

Comment

• twistsol
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                      • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I either missed this or it wasn't relevant at the time, but with the remodel coming up, this looks like it could be a time saver.
                      Chr's

Comment

• cwsmith
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2005
                        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                        • BT3100-1

Originally posted by os1kne
                        Here's a follow-up review, after using the tool a bit. If you need to remove a lot of romex sheathing, this thing is great. But, for the majority of electrical work I found myself sticking with my other tools.
                        While it is definitely the tool of choice for stripping the sheathing on Romex, I too find my auto-strippers and needle nose pliers quicker and more familiar when stripping the wire ends and bending to fit the screw. But even then, there are a few times when I just go ahead with the "Ripper/Stripper" as it's already in my hand.

For the $15 or $20 that it might sell for on Amazon, I don't think I would ever have given it a try; but, finding this little tool for $5 at my local HD was well worth it. Basically, I hate those sheet-metal strippers. Probably just me, as I don't do electrical work for a living or even on a monthly basis, but I find those sheet-metal stripper hard to use with any finesse. Always seems to pull too hard and most of the time I find it tears off to the side... perhaps poor technique on my part. With this stripper, its far easier and the slice is flawless.

CWS

Comment

• capncarl
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2007
                          • Leesburg Georgia USA
                          • SawStop CTS

CWS.... Double check your code, it may be like Ga. The homeowner can do his own wiring and can also install breakers and terminate his wiring in the panel.... Before the electrician pulls in the service wire and makes it hot. I have a real problem with the way most electricians wire a house panel by the code. In a 200 amp panel They may not use but 3-4 breakers for a whole house receptacles and lights. I want them in zones. In my shop I want breakers for specific receptacles and switches for individual ceiling lights. Good luck getting what you want if your already have the wire pulled to the panel and expect the electrician to figure out how you want the panel laid out.

Comment

• cwsmith
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2005
                            • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                            • BT3100-1

Carl,

Thanks for the points, but I've been doing my own wiring for at least three or four decades. Please don't read that as my being an expert or that I do it for anyone else. Subsequently, one doesn't have an awful lot of need like monthly or anything even close. And, I don't recommend anyone just jump into this kind of thing as if it was something that doesn't take thought and study... it's definitely not anything that should be done without a thorough knowledge.

However, it is something that can be done by someone with such knowledge and in many cases your local electrical and building code enforcement will allow the homeowner to proceed with such as long as they follow the municipal/county code requirements, get a permit, and have the necessary inspections. Pretty much universal is that a home owner is not allowed to do anything in the central load panel.

In 1987, I was forced to do my most serious job.. putting in my own service, which required a new weather head, meter box, main cable, ground rods and main service (load) panel. I was having my house vinyl sided and at the point they reached the old service entry point they could go no further. That entry was too low, not meeting the current code of the time. Subsequently I contracted with a local electrician and was told to also make an appointment for county inspector, so that the power interruption to our home would be minimal. So the electrician was supposed to show up on Monday morning and the inspector due on Wednesday afternoon. By noon on Monday the electrician was no where to be found and I was told that one simply did not change or miss the inspector's schedule unless you wanted several week's delay. Confronted with that, I called a friend and we put in the service ourselves, picking up the meter box from the local electric company, and all the supplies from the local electrical supply house (no HD or Lowes in are area back then.).

Biggest problem we had was actually sinking those long ground rods (two were required), as our soil is more rock than dirt. But we got'er done. The inspector showed up as sceduled and walked around looking sternly at everything. He than sat down at the kitchen table, pulled out some form and then looking rather sternly at me, demanded to know who exactly did that job? I asked him if something was wrond and he repeated..."Who did that job, I want to know!?" When I told him that my friend and I had done it, he wanted to know if either of us were licensed electricians and I told him no, he laughed and said he thought so... it was too dam*d neat. With that he handed me the approved paperwork (I still have it somewhere) and told me that if I ever wanted a job, let him know.

So, over the years I've completely rewired the Painted Post house, it's always passed inspection. Here in Binghamton things are more stringent. But even here, if you follow the rules there should be no problem. Here I had the new service put in by a licensed master and had him reture to run a 100 amp service to the garage. I've run a few new circuits here, ripped out and replace some nasty looking stuff (old cloth-covered brittle wire) and even found some really poor practices. I have a permit for re-wiriing the new shed which is my current 'on and off project'.

I too "zone" my work. This old 1887-built house of ours is electrically ridiculous in that some circuits stretch all over the house, multiple floors and corners. I'm gradually cleaning those up.as I replace old wire and sectionalize (zone) the circuits. I also map the circuits and mark every box with the circuit breaker number. I'm not an electrician, but I'm well read, try to keep up to date, and I keep things neat and organized. (BTW, when I bought an NEC code book back in 1987, it was only a few bucks... I tried to buy one a few years ago and they wanted a fortune for it; so much so that I guess you had to be in the business to justify it. I do occasionally buy commercially-available wiring books, like Black & Decker's and a handful of others. When in doubt I check further. Point is that if you are going to approach electrical wiring, one needs to ensure that they are doing everything correctly.

CWS

Comment

Working...