Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Minor stuff I forget to do in the shop when working

1. Turn on the air cleaner
    2. Put on the ear muffs
    3. Pull the plug when working on/setting tools – MS, Router, BS, DP
    4. Change to a ZCTP when making TS vertical cuts and the vice versa: forgetting to change to the stock throat plate when making bevel cuts.
    5. Lock the DP table after changing the elevation. It doesn’t rotate usually using a bit once you’ve started the bit it won’t swing on you but the deal is that when the lock is loose the table sags a bit and the spot where the drill bit center hits the wood moves a few thousandths and the hole is no longer perpendicular.
    6. Set bandsaw upper guide height just above workpiece
    7. Start the vac or DC for the tool I’m using
    8. Change the RPM speed of the DP to the appropriate speed
    9. Put side shields on the safety glasses I wear
    10. Shut down the air compressor when I leave for the evening
    11. Turn off the laser on the Miter saw
    12. Release bandsaw tension after use (some people say this isn’t necessary). I don't have a quick release.

what stuff do you sometimes forget to do?
    OK sometimes you forget on purpose - too lazy.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-24-2014, 01:32 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • jdon
    Established Member
    • Feb 2010
    • Snoqualmie, Wash.
    • BT3100

Pretty good list- I'm thinking maybe you have a hidden camera in my garage! Although it only took one 4 am air compressor cycling (right below our BR) to remember that one.

One other one I often forget: releasing the spindle lock/index pin on my midi lathe after changing chuck or face plate.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

here's one I hear about but i've never actually done... leave the chuck key in the drill chuck and starting the drill! Exciting!
      Probably hard to find the errant chiuck, too, because it could choose to exit in any of 360 degrees (and then slide to the farthest place under something big and heavy.)
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-23-2014, 07:49 PM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

On several occasions I have forgotten to turn off the overhead IR heaters. Longest was just overnight, though.

Sometimes I forget to turn off the overhead lights. It will happen during the day so it's not obvious until I'm in the house and see the light on across the patio at night.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

I have my overhead air cleaner on a 00-15 hour variable Intermatic timer. I can set it for the several hours past when I plan to work and it clears the air after I'm done. And so I never forget to turn it off.
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-23-2014, 07:51 PM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2006
            • On the TARDIS
            • BT 3100

Originally posted by atgcpaul
            On several occasions I have forgotten to turn off the overhead IR heaters. Longest was just overnight, though.
            A couple of times I've forgot to shut down the heater but then it's in such a location that I see it glowing when I turn out the lights so I never get too far.
            From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Sawatzky
              Established Member
              • Apr 2005
              • CA
              • Ridgid TS3650

One thing I learned very early on was to never leave stain drenched rags wadded up. The oil can heat up and cause a fire. Fortunately this never happened, but after working in my dad's shop one day and leaving the rags in a pile, he told me of the fire danger. Since then I have never forgotten.

Comment

• leehljp
                Just me
                • Dec 2002
                • Tunica, MS
                • BT3000/3100

On rare occasion (but I do it) I leave the blade up on my TS without the Shark guard on.

I often forget to release the tension blade on the BS. I hate it when I discover that I forgot this!

And I often leave the lights on - until I notice it at bed time!
                Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Cochese
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 2010

I was always forgetting to plug the vac in or turn it on when using the table saw. I would then have to step over the hose to get to the vac, or navigate around the pieces to be cut.

I had the stop flap break off my router table switch, and decided to use it to control the vac. It's mounted on the door frame right where I stand to operate the table saw.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
                  I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• jussi
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007

Forget to take off my wixey angle cube off the mitersaw.
                    I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by jussi
                      Forget to take off my wixey angle cube off the mitersaw.
                      was it on the blade? eeeek!
                      that's the kind of thing you only forget to do once...
                      Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-24-2014, 01:30 AM.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• twistsol
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                        • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I forget to bring the tools back to the shop that I've taken up to the house. It's only a couple hundred feet round trip, but it usually takes 10 -15 minutes of searching before I remember where I left them last.

Heat is the big one for me. If I forget to turn off the heater, and I don't make it to the shop every weekend, I won't notice for a week or two or three, and the electric bill skyrockets. One three hundred dollar electric bill really messes with the budget.
                        Chr's

Comment

• dbhost
                          Slow and steady
                          • Apr 2008
                          • League City, Texas
                          • Ryobi BT3100

Hmmm. Good question. Let's see. What do I forget to do in the shop?

#1. Hearing protection. I am getting better about it, but I still don't put the earmuffs on before things get loud often enough.
                          #2. Remove the drill press chuck key before turning the drill press on. I got a Rockler magnetic key retractor that sort of fixes this. The return spring is strong enough it will yank the chuck key out of the chuck unless i hold it in place...
                          #3. Close blast gates. I rarely forget to open the right one, but I often forget to close them after use / before opening another one and starting work. Makes for lousy dust collection. I am getting into the habit of walking around and physically verifying the blast gate positions.
                          #4. Forgetting to unplug tools when I am done. Most notably the miter saw. Recent changes to the miter saw setup make this a LOT more difficult to do, which is a good thing.
                          #5. Put newspaper down on the bench before starting finishing work. My bench is nasty stained, painted, dripped and dribbled on. It is at the point of me not caring....
                          #6. Turning off the AC, or heater before leaving the shop for the day... Sometimes this is intentional. I run the heat on low next to the pipes when the temps dip below freezing for more than 4 hours. The AC however, doesn't need to keep running all the time!
                          #7. Putting all the tools back up at the end of the day. This has caused one wee little problem... I keep managing to lose small not so small tools. I currently have no clue where one of my HF 12" quick clamp clones is. I suspect it is behind the miter saw bench. Being a HF quick clamp clone, I don't care that much to look though!.
                          #8. This is the worst one I am thinking. Not having a space set aside for newly brought in materials and supplies... I am almost literally overrun by cans of latex paint and a dizzying array of aerosol cans...
                          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            Internet Fact Checker
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Katy, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by twistsol
                            Heat is the big one for me. If I forget to turn off the heater, and I don't make it to the shop every weekend, I won't notice for a week or two or three, and the electric bill skyrockets. One three hundred dollar electric bill really messes with the budget.
                            That would be worth putting a 0-12 hour control timer on. TImers like mine don't cost much but wouldn't be big enough to run a big heater. But it could control a contactor that control the heater.
                            Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• LCHIEN
                              Internet Fact Checker
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Katy, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by twistsol
                              I forget to bring the tools back to the shop that I've taken up to the house. It's only a couple hundred feet round trip, but it usually takes 10 -15 minutes of searching before I remember where I left them last.

that's a good excuse for another set of tools. You can keep the newer, better ones in the shop. Oh heck, they should both be equally good... Buy two new sets of upgraded tools, yeah, that's the ticket.
                              Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

Working...