Do you like those slinky type air hoses?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Santa Clarita Len
    Established Member
    • Feb 2006
    • Santa Clarita Calif.
    • Bt3000 and Dewalt radial arm saw

I sometimes use a 25' 1/4" coiled hose attached to a 50' polyurethane hose and it is really great. It worked so well that I bought a 25' 3/8 coiled hose to get more air for my HVLP spray gun. This was a huge mistake as it is way too stiff and wants to pull itself back when in use.

Comment

• cork58
      Established Member
      • Jan 2006
      • Wasilla, AK, USA.
      • BT3000

They are a great addition to airplane saftey. If you'er ever going down just jump out of the airplane with one. Its bound to hang up on something!
      Cork,

Dare to dream and dare to fail.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

I worked in an upholstery shop in college, and the slinky hoses worked great for VERY limited functions. Particularly running a pneumatic stapler at a workstation where there wasn't a whole lot of moving the tool around. If you need to move around with them though, they tangle a LOT and are a general pain in the tail...

I have a Polyurethane non coiled hose that I love. It tangles a bit as well, but is very light, and easy to move around. Untangling it is as simple as just jiggling the hose. It is far less fatiguing to use this than a rubber hose...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by LCHIEN
          I'm going to have to check out the PU hose. I have a blue hose in my shop
          that looks just like Loring's but it seems to have none of the properties Loring
          described earlier. It doesn't kink but when it's cold, it's stiff as a board. I'll
          have to look for some kind of material label or something on it. If the hose is
          PU, then I'm not sold on PU.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

so here's a PVC hose on the bottom and a PU hose on top...
            Blue doesn't mean anything.
            FWIW the PU hoses seem to be 1/4" ID vs. 3/8" ID for PU and rubber hoses... if you have high flow requirements that may make a difference.
            For air nailers and small tools and blow nozzles it doesn't make much difference.
            Attached Files
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Chris_B
              Established Member
              • Apr 2006
              • Cupertino, CA

+1 for PU hoses. *Huge* improvement over rubber or (especially) PVC.

Originally posted by LCHIEN
              FWIW the PU hoses seem to be 1/4" ID vs. 3/8" ID for PU and rubber hoses... if you have high flow requirements that may make a difference.
              For air nailers and small tools and blow nozzles it doesn't make much difference.
              3/8" PU hoses are available online, but I have never seen them at Lowes or HD.

See: Link

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2007
                • Buena Park, CA
                • CM 21829

I keep a small slinky hose on my little 2gal CH compressor, which I keep under my workbench and use in-shop with my brad/pin nailers, or in-house for same (moldings, etc.) For big work, I'm still using rubber hoses on my 26g compressor... and tired of the weight, so will also have to check out the PU at some point.
                Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• jdon
                  Established Member
                  • Feb 2010
                  • Snoqualmie, Wash.
                  • BT3100

Just to add my .02- I have the short 1/4" yellow "slinkie" and a blue PVC 3/8"from HD- agree with all comments already posted.

I also have a 3/8" polyurethane hose fro HD- neon green, and doesn't have braiding that Loring's blue PU hose does. My PU hose is definitely lighter than PVC, and the slippery surface makes it easier to pull around corners and obstacles.

However, I've found that my PU hose is definitely stiffer than PVC, and also has considerable "memory": it has a persistent tendency to coil, despite attempts to straighten, e.g. stretching out on the yard on a hot sunny day.

IMHO it's a tossup- PVC flexibility but greater weight vs PU lightness but stiffness. Caveat- other PU hoses may be more flexible than mine- as I recall, it was pretty cheap at HD. If a PU hose has the same flexibility as a PVC, it wins hands down.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by jdon
                    Just to add my .02- I have the short 1/4" yellow "slinkie" and a blue PVC 3/8"from HD- agree with all comments already posted.

I also have a 3/8" polyurethane hose fro HD- neon green, and doesn't have braiding that Loring's blue PU hose does. My PU hose is definitely lighter than PVC, and the slippery surface makes it easier to pull around corners and obstacles.

However, I've found that my PU hose is definitely stiffer than PVC, and also has considerable "memory": it has a persistent tendency to coil, despite attempts to straighten, e.g. stretching out on the yard on a hot sunny day.

IMHO it's a tossup- PVC flexibility but greater weight vs PU lightness but stiffness. Caveat- other PU hoses may be more flexible than mine- as I recall, it was pretty cheap at HD. If a PU hose has the same flexibility as a PVC, it wins hands down.

PU has a different kind of stiffness. It is very stiff in twist (maybe because of the reinforcement). If its laying out straight and flat, and you take one end and twist it 360 degrees, the other free end will probably turn 359 degrees. So when you roll it up, it will have one twist per loop. If you pull the loops off the side of the roll then you will have a big slinky. If you untwist it as you take it off the roll (or use a rotating reel) then the sucker will lay flat and straight with no memory. Because its so light and thin, its really not much of an issue to untwist it when I need to lay it out straight and flat. And then retwist it to roll it up. I imagione it would work great on a reel. It's very flexible as opposed to stiff - I can bend it into a tight loop:

PVC has a lot of memory esp when cold. If stored rolled up, and its 50 degrees temperaure, you will never get that thing to lay flat and straight to save your life. Its still very difficult when its warm.
                    Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-19-2011, 01:18 AM.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• os1kne
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Atlanta, GA
                      • BT3100

This is interesting. I picked up a couple of PU air hoses for running the roofing nailer when I replaced my roof last summer. I bought them primarily for the light weight. I dislike PVC air hoses and rubber is much too heavy for that type of work. I've never thought of replacing the rubber hose that I use in the shop with PU, but I could probably fit 50% more hose on the reel with PU.

Back on topic - yes, I do use a couple of slinky-type PVC airhoses for quick tasks or portable use.
                      Last edited by os1kne; 01-19-2011, 10:27 AM.
                      Bill

Comment

Working...