Do you like those slinky type air hoses?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

I rarely need to use the air outside the confines of my shop so I have a
    retractable air hose mounted to the ceiling. However, when I do, I've got to
    lug out the stiff PVC hose.

Do you guys like the coiled air hoses that look like slinkies? I noticed their
    PSI rating is pretty low, though. I typically use the long hose to fill up my
    tires or HVLP spraying.
  • gsmittle
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • St. Louis, MO, USA.
    • BT 3100

No. I'm still using one, but not for much longer. It gets caught on everything and tangles with itself constantly.

g.
    Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
    Bill & Ted

Comment

• smorris
      • Apr 2003
      • Tampa, Florida, USA.

Originally posted by gsmittle
      No. I'm still using one, but not for much longer. It gets caught on everything and tangles with itself constantly.

g.
      Yea, verily. I tossed mine some time ago, it was always caught on something.
      --
      Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice

Comment

• sweensdv
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • WI
        • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

I have a short one, 10' I think, hooked up to my portable air tank. For that usage it works out very well. Although, I doubt if I would like one that is longer than that.

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

The only use I ever found for one was when I was running my drag bike. I had one hooked to a portable nitrogen tank that I used for tire inflation and to recharge the air shifter tank after each run.
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

I don't care too much for them. They can be a PITA if out to their length. They get hooked on themselves. If it gets knocked off a tool, can be wildly flying around.

Comment

• Stytooner
              Roll Tide RIP Lee
              • Dec 2002
              • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
              • BT3100

The only place I have found them useful is hanging over a workbench. They do get out of the way when you hang the tool back up.
              Otherwise, they are not very strong and I've had two fail. Don't use them any longer.
              Lee

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                Veteran Member
                • May 2003
                • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                • BT3100

I had something like that for use as a garden hose, scrapped it the second day.

I've been using a 25' RUBBER hose I got at Sears. Had it for years, it's great. Also have a 50' poly that was free at the time I got the compressor, I only use when I'm filling up the tires on the cars.

Bruce
                "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Try a Polyurethane (PU) hose.
                  PVC gets very stiff when below 50F,
                  Rubber hose is less stiff but heavy and not all that flexible.
                  A reinforced PU hose is 1/3 the weight and volume of the rubber hose and very flexible. Prices are down to about $25 (recently bought some by Hitachi at Lowes for that price) if you shop around. Had this discussion before, See this thread:

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...light=air+hose

I've got a couple of 50-footers that are easy to pick up and haul outside for nailing and tire filling jobs.
                  Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-16-2011, 06:32 PM.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cwsmith
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2005
                    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                    • BT3100-1

I've ended up with two of these, both as part of accessory kits that came with my Sears compressors (a 33-gal NL and a 2-gal lube which I use for my nailer). One of the "slinkies" I rarely use on the 33-gal with a blower nozzle for blowing out the tool motors, the second is still in it's shrink wrap.

I haven't seen a PU hose yet, so I'll have to pay closer attention. I do have a 50-ft PVC hose that I got from Sears several years ago when I purchased my 33-gal. I don't like it as it's just too still and a PIA to roll back up.

On my old I-R compresser I had a couple of 50-ft red-rubber hose which I bought for next to nothing at the local farm supply store. They were nice, but that was back in the late 70's and both the compressor and the hoses are long gone.

I do have a 50-ft Ridgid-brand gray rubber hose that is really nice, but I don't like the aluminum quick-connect on it. Other than that, it's a pretty nice hose. My favorite hose is the 25-ft Craftsman black rubber hose which I use with brass fittings. That hose is perfect for the nailer, coils quickly, lays flat, and it the obvious choice for carrying with my little 2-gal compresser.

CWS
                    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• parnelli
                      • Aug 2004
                      • bt3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                      Try a Polyurethane (PU) hose.
                      PVC gets very stiff when below 50F,
                      Rubber hose is less stiff but heavy and not all that flexible.
                      A reinforced PU hose is 1/3 the weight and volume of the rubber hose and very flexible. Prices are down to about $25 (recently bought some by Hitachi at Lowes for that price) if you shop around. Had this discussion before, See this thread:

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...light=air+hose

I've got a couple of 50-footers that are easy to pick up and haul outside for nailing and tire filling jobs.
                      +2 on the polyurethane. Rubber ones are fine in the shop where they can just lay there, but if you've got a portable compressor that you lug around the PU slinky ones are great.

Comment

• HauntedBranch
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Feb 2006

I have a cheap HF coiled hose that I like very much. Haven't tried the polyurethane ones but I much prefer the coiled hose to hauling my heavy (cheap HF) one around. To each his own.

Phil

Comment

• wardprobst
                          • Jan 2006
                          • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
                          • Craftsman 22811

I find the slinky to be great in the spray booth but that's the only place I use it. I like the rubber for general tasks though I will be trying the poly ones based on the recommendations here.
                          DP
                          www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            Internet Fact Checker
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Katy, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by wardprobst
                            I find the slinky to be great in the spray booth but that's the only place I use it. I like the rubber for general tasks though I will be trying the poly ones based on the recommendations here.
                            DP
                            make sure its Polyurethane (PU), not Poly Vinyl Chloride(PVC). Former is the very best and most expensive type latter is the worst and cheapest. When used by itself "poly" usually refers to the much more commonly available PVC.

here in my shop, the blue PU on top of a black rubber hose and a slinky coiled yellow PVC hose in the background.

Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-18-2011, 01:57 AM.
                            Loring in Katy, TX USA
                            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• gnal41
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Oct 2009
                              • central Indiana
                              • bt3000

I have limited space in the garage and the coiled "slinky type" air hose seem to have their place when deticated to a repative task in the same general area.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...