• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • softop41
    Established Member
    • Jul 2004
    • Plainfield, IL, USA.
    • BT3100-1

the BT3100 is overpriced! I only paid $300 new in the box and have it for sale for $125 ion great condition with the full accessory kit and more. However, since you don't list any location that may noot do you any good.
    I don't know anything about the Rockwell except that it is a contractor's saw and therefore will have little , if any, dust collection from under the table where a heck of a lot of mess accumlates. It is hard to beat the BT in many ways. Sure, it is not as heavy, etc., but it sure makes great cuts just the was it was built which includes a riving knife that the contractor saw probably doesn't have. It is a saw that is much easier to attach the various jigs and fixtures that you will need for projects to because of its built-in "T" nut and track system.
    Last edited by softop41; 12-13-2009, 01:47 PM. Reason: more thoughts
    Jerry
    Making High Quality Sawdust in Northeast Plainfield

Comment

• TrackDays

Hey guys, the advice is very much appreciated. I went to look at the BT3100 and was indeed brand new, but wouldn't budge off the $300. So I said no to that one, but left my contact details if he lowers the price.

Unfortunately, by that time the contractor saw was already sold. It happens. In the end the biesemeyer fence was a little beat up from pictures he sent, so not the saw for me anyways.

Next saw up is a craftsman 315.228390 contractor saw with a bunch of accessories (dados, joint clamp set, taper jig, etc etc) for $250. Nice cast iron left wing with router plate, and stamped right wing. The saga continues

Comment

• annunaki
        • Jan 2008
        • White Springs, Florida
        • 21829, BT3100, 2-BT3000(15amp)

What about the Sears updated version of the BT3100?

For about $35 more ($335+) ON SALE -you can get the Sears Version #21829 on wheels that folds up for easy storage or transport.
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fileodecahedron.gif

Comment

• Charlie
          Banned
          • Jul 2009

Originally posted by TrackDays
          Next saw up is a craftsman 315.228390 contractor saw with a bunch of accessories (dados, joint clamp set, taper jig, etc etc) for $250. Nice cast iron left wing with router plate, and stamped right wing. The saga continues
          Keep looking for a Delta with a good fence like a Biesemeyer, Unifence, Delta T2, Vega, they are out there. The Craftsman might be an ok saw, but you may have to replace the fence, a good fence is an important part of a good table saw, and makes useing one a joy. Also, the Craftsman's are usually a dime a dozen, they don't hold a resale value like a Delta does.
          Last edited by Charlie; 12-14-2009, 09:12 AM.

Comment

• Charlie
            Banned
            • Jul 2009

Pictures of the saws your considering at each time would be nice.
            Last edited by Charlie; 12-14-2009, 08:23 AM.

Comment

• TrackDays

Hey guys, thanks again. Okay, found a floor model clearance on this saw - think it is a keeper. I still need to find out about warranties, etc. but good deal.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...=Y&origin=prod

$470 - tax in, out the door.

Or this used one. Craftsman special edition 315.228390. Like this, only also has a lot of accesories - 2 dado blades, 0 zero clearance insert, extra miter gauge, et etc.

http://www.ohiotoolexchange.com/imag...nTblSawRtr.jpg

Comment

• Sawatzky
                Established Member
                • Apr 2005
                • CA
                • Ridgid TS3650

That Craftsman Pro table saw with the Bies fences is a great deal. While not a true "professional" cabinet saw, it does have cabinet mounted trunions, and will be a lot better for dust collection than a contractor saw would be. I would jump on it!

Comment

• Charlie
                  Banned
                  • Jul 2009

I believe that the saw that Sawatzky mentions is a fairly popular Hybrid saw. I would suggest though that you either bolt the saw to the floor, or bolt it to a mobile base that would give it a little wider foot print. To me the cabinets on most Hybrids look narrow and top heavy. And if you can, run the saw on 220V or put in a dedicated 110V circuit just for the saw. I think it's overlooked by alot of people not haveing a circuit that can adequetly feed the power of the higher amperage machines. It's easier on the motor too. Now to the it will be a lot better for dust collection than a contractor saw would be statement. I really get tired of hearing those comments. I worked on dust collection for my Contractors saw for about a year and finally came up with a design that I'm completely happy with, and other people are as well.
                  Last edited by Charlie; 12-14-2009, 10:12 PM.

Comment

• Sawatzky
                    Established Member
                    • Apr 2005
                    • CA
                    • Ridgid TS3650

"I really get tired of hearing those comments. I worked on dust collection for my Contractors saw for about a year and finally came up with a design that I'm completely happy with, and other people are as well."

So, what is your design for dust collection? I would like to modify my Ridgid contractor saw for the best dust colletion.

Comment

• Knottscott
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2004
                      • Rochester, NY.
                      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by TrackDays
                      Hey guys, thanks again. Okay, found a floor model clearance on this saw - think it is a keeper. I still need to find out about warranties, etc. but good deal.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...=Y&origin=prod

$470 - tax in, out the door.
                      That's a great deal on a very nice saw made by Steel City's Orion division. At 425# it's very stable, has an excellent fence, cabinet mounted trunnions, 44" wide cast iron surface, serpentine style drive belt, and even comes with a decent stock blade. The throat insert will accept standard Delta inserts. You can even easily slide the fence to the right 10" for a 40" rip capacity. It's got a very good track record and a large loyal following. It's a questionable bargain at $1200, but I would not pass on that deal for $470.

Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Charlie
                        Banned
                        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Sawatzky
                        So, what is your design for dust collection? I would like to modify my Ridgid contractor saw for the best dust colletion.
                        No longer availabe.
                        Last edited by Charlie; 01-10-2010, 05:02 PM.

Comment

• Russianwolf
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2004
                          • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                          • One of them there Toy saws

Charlie, Have you ever used a BT3xxx? I ask because in an earlier post you said you'd class it as a "portable jobsite saw". I think if you have used one for any period of time you would not think this as that kind of environment would knock the accuracy of the saw out of whack pretty easily. Yes, it's light weight, but once dialed in you don't want to be tossing it around in a truck bed.

I've had my BT for about 6 years and I have used a 40 year old Unisaw in my uncle's shop as well as a Laguna Euro-style saw in one of the Navy hobby shops (don't ask me how they got it, but it is nice) where I was stationed. And I can honestly say that the BT is every bit as accurate as either of those saws. When this saw dies, and hopefully it won't be for a long time yet, I'll be replacing it with a Euro-style saw only because I want to go to a 12 inch for taller cuts and I've fallen in love with the sliding table and riving knife that most contractors saws will simple never compete with.
                          Mike
                          Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• tkarlmann
                            Established Member
                            • Dec 2003
                            • Hoffman Estates, IL, USA.
                            • BT3100

Wow: so much negative waves for a BT saw?

I thought this was BT Central site? Has everyone turned into cast iron saw owners here?

I'm very very surprised at the responses here.

What has happened that everyone is so negative on the BT3100 saw? Has the BT3100 changed while I wasn't looking? Mine hasn't. Now you buy a saw because it has Biesmier fence on it over a BT3100? Really? Did everyone fall off the bandwagon just because Rod Kirby bought a non-BT saw?

What has happened to this forum?
                            Thom

Comment

• master53yoda
                              Established Member
                              • Oct 2008
                              • Spokane Washington
                              • bt 3000 2 of them and a shopsmith ( but not for the tablesaw part)

I have used my BT3000 for 12 years, my son has a the top line Ridgid saw from 2 years ago and it isn't one bit more accurate then my BT and doesn't have any more power unless ripping 3" thick oak. The miter table i have used for picture frames and its accuracy is far better then his without using the sliding table I built for it. /the fence is dead on and i can also put feather boards on it for down pressure. that isn't possible with most other saw fences. I have used a unisaw and don't find its accuracy any better.

Any one that can't get accuracy out of the BT3x00 saw is simply not taking the time to set them up. I have bought a spare saw off cragslist so that I won't need to go away from what I feel is the best saw purchaseable under 1000.00. everyone talks about hybrids. the bt saws where the first hybrids made. everyone else just copied them.
                              Art

If you don't want to know, Don't ask

If I could come back as anyone one in history, It would be the man I could have been and wasn't....

Comment

• Charlie
                                Banned
                                • Jul 2009

Originally posted by master53yoda
                                Everyone talks about hybrids. the bt saws where the first hybrids made. everyone else just copied them.
                                Oh comeon, first the BT is as accurate as industrial cabinet table saws, and now they are the original Hybrids ? I'm sure if I hang around here long enough someone will tell me that a Harbor Frieght wood lathe is as good, if not better then an Oliver wood lathe.

Comment

Working...