Do you reduce tension on BS blade when not in use?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RayintheUK
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2003
    • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
    • Ryobi BT3000

I have always de-tensioned my bandsaw ever since I've had it. My method of reminding myself is to drape a piece of red rag through the tension wheel so that it hangs down on the table. Little chance of missing that, even at my advancing years!

Ray.
    Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• wassaw998
      • Jul 2004
      • Atlanta, GA, USA.

I detension after use, but, regarding the blade cooling, I am not that quick. On a normal BS session I make a lot of cuts, and do a lot of tinkering around in between cuts, by the time I detension (for the day) the blade has heated and cooled many times. I just do not detension after each cut before the blade has cooled. If that's the main reason for detensioning, then, maybe I am wasting my time detensioning? I always thought the main reason was to release stress on the BS, and to relieve the tires from potential flat spots?

Also, of note, I always thought it odd that when my BS came out of the box, it had a blade on it, fully tensioned...
      Chris

Comment

• Thom2
        Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
        • Jan 2003
        • Stevens, PA, USA.
        • Craftsman 22124

Originally posted by wassaw998
        I detension after use, but, regarding the blade cooling, I am not that quick. On a normal BS session I make a lot of cuts, and do a lot of tinkering around in between cuts, by the time I detension (for the day) the blade has heated and cooled many times. I just do not detension after each cut before the blade has cooled. If that's the main reason for detensioning, then, maybe I am wasting my time detensioning? I always thought the main reason was to release stress on the BS, and to relieve the tires from potential flat spots?
        I never meant to imply that blade stretch was the ONLY reason to detension the BS, there are many reasons to do so. My point was directed at a question of 'how often'
        If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
        **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• Ken Weaver
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2004
          • Clemson, SC, USA
          • Rigid TS3650

Originally posted by wassaw998
          Also, of note, I always thought it odd that when my BS came out of the box, it had a blade on it, fully tensioned...
          That's the way my Rdigid came.
          Ken Weaver
          Clemson, SC

"A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

Comment

• RonT
            Forum Newbie
            • Jun 2006
            • Florida
            • Old Craftsman

Blade tensioning! I’m reading concerns with frame bending, wheels out of round, blades stretching and flattened tires as a result of tensioning.

I’m a mechanical engineer; rest assured if you are bending the frame and causing wheels to go out of round, you have purchased the wrong saw. If that were the case, you would not be able to make a straight cut or keep the blade in place. True, some saws are stiffer than others but, blade tensioning will not cause that to happen without serious problems elsewhere.

As for blade stretch as a result of heat; the heat generated might cause a miniscule length change. The blade will cool before you can ever release tension.

The only reason to release tension would be to keep tires from going flat. Even at that, if the tire was made from an elastic polymer with no memory, it to would get its shape back as soon as the saw was started. I don’t know if such a rubber is available for this application.

My two cents!

Comment

• Ken Massingale
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Liberty, SC, USA.
              • Ridgid TS3650

Originally posted by RonT
              Blade tensioning! I’m reading concerns with frame bending, wheels out of round, blades stretching and flattened tires as a result of tensioning.

I’m a mechanical engineer; rest assured if you are bending the frame and causing wheels to go out of round, you have purchased the wrong saw. If that were the case, you would not be able to make a straight cut or keep the blade in place. True, some saws are stiffer than others but, blade tensioning will not cause that to happen without serious problems elsewhere.

As for blade stretch as a result of heat; the heat generated might cause a miniscule length change. The blade will cool before you can ever release tension.

The only reason to release tension would be to keep tires from going flat. Even at that, if the tire was made from an elastic polymer with no memory, it to would get its shape back as soon as the saw was started. I don’t know if such a rubber is available for this application.

My two cents!
              I'm not an engineer in anything, Ron. But my gut says you are absolutely correct.
              ken

Comment

• Tom Miller
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2003
                • Twin Cities, MN
                • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Originally posted by Jeffrey Schronce
                ...She promptly advised "Hims put tater tots in hims pocket and the boy kicks them".
                That's about as a good a synopsis as any! I'm sure, if given a little more time, she'd have mentioned the "steak throwing" scene.

RonT -- I'm guessing most of us agree that the major concern is tire flattening. But, now that you mention it, I even wonder how much of a concern that really is with newer materials being used for tires, or if it's just a holdover from the old days.

Regards,
                Tom

Comment

• LarryG
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2004
                  • Off The Back
                  • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

I'm not going to directly disagree with Ron, or anyone else, on the need to detension; I honestly don't know. What I do know is that this is not just an advisory that's handed down from one woodworker to another, but rather something the manufacturers of the tools include in their manuals.

My Grizzly G0555 manual says:
                  "NOTICE
                  "All bandsaw blades will stretch. To reduce this stretching, remove the tension from the blade when not in use."

The Delta 14" bandsaw manual says:
                  "IMPORTANT: OVER-STRAINING IS A COMMON CAUSE OF BLADE BREAKAGE AND OTHER UNSATISFACTORY BLADE PERFORMANCE. RELEASE THE TENSION WHEN THE TOOL IS NOT IN USE."

Those are the only two manuals I've checked, but they essentially say the same thing. And I want to say that both Duginske and Bird advise that the blade be detensioned when the saw isn't being used, and I know for certain Scott Phillips once said to do it on an episode of "The American Woodshop." All this, and the few seconds it takes to do it, is reason enough for me to always detension my saw's blade. YMMV, etc.
                  Larry

Comment

• Thom2
                    Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Stevens, PA, USA.
                    • Craftsman 22124

I'm no engineer either, but this is straight from Suffolk's site:

ALWAYS DETENSION YOUR BANDS
                    • When you are done cutting for the day, take the tension off your blade. Band saw blades, when warmed up from cutting, always stretch; and upon cooling shrink by tens of thousandths of an inch each cooling period. Therefore, blades, when left on the saw over tension themselves and leave the memory of the two wheels in the steel of the band, which will cause cracking in the gullet. When you leave the band on your saw under tension, not only do you distort the crown and flatten out the tires (which makes them very hard), but you also place undue stress on your bearings and shafts. Believe it or not; you can, and will damage your wheel geometry sooner or later and considerably shorten bearing life. You are also crushing your tires or V-belts.
                    TENSION
                    "The minimum amount of STRETCH you must apply to the body of the band to make it stable."
                    Always DETENSION the band immediately after use.
                    If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
                    **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

My Delta BS manual says:

When the band saw is not in use, it is good practice to
                      release tension to prolong the life of the blade.

Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Liberty, SC, USA.
                        • Ridgid TS3650

o.k., o.k., if it will make you guys sleep better, I'll detension my blade! ;-D

Comment

• paynea
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Jun 2006
                          • Massachusetts, USA
                          • Ryobi BT3100

As a proponent of the "free insurance" and "belt-and-suspenders" doctrines, I always throw the lever on my Grizz G0555 after I'm done cutting for more than 5 or 10 minutes. I do the same with the lever on my little Delta scroll saw.

Even if it has no material impact, I figure there's really no upside to not detensioning.

Adam

Comment

• sacherjj
                            Not Your Average Joe
                            • Dec 2005
                            • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
                            • BT3100-1

When I had the Sears 10", I often forgot to detension. It was also a pain. Now, with the Carter QR, on my 14" saw there is no reason not to.
                            Joe Sacher

Comment

• cwsmith
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2005
                              • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                              • BT3100-1

I've always understood that detentioning was best for three reasons:flattening of the tire, blade stretch, and relief of the compression forces on the tensioning spring.

I do agree that any heating and cooling of the blade itself should have neglible effects on blade stretch. Leaving the blade under tension may have negligible effects on the tensioning spring as well. I'm not so sure about the stretch of the blade or leaving a depression on the tire.

On my little Ryobi BS902 there is a quick release lever, but when you use it, the blade falls off the wheel. I still use it though, but open the door and hold the blade in place with a couple of clips first. I only do this at the end of a work period though. Removal of the switch key to a safe place is my reminder to fix everything before the next operation.

CWS
                              Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Tom Miller
                                Veteran Member
                                • Mar 2003
                                • Twin Cities, MN
                                • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Originally posted by cwsmith
                                On my little Ryobi BS902 there is a quick release lever, but when you use it, the blade falls off the wheel.
                                I wonder if there's some way you could limit the travel of the QR lever in the "released" position, to keep the blade from coming off....

Regards,
                                Tom

Comment

Working...