Do you reduce tension on BS blade when not in use?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Do you reduce tension on BS blade when not in use?

Do you reduce the tension on your BS blade when you're done using it? Or do you just set it and forget it?

I guess I'm asking what you're supposed to do, not what you actually do. :-)

Thanks,
    Phil
  • Tom Miller
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Twin Cities, MN
    • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

If I use the BS, I tighten the blade then, and leave it tightened for that period in the shop. If I'm leaving the shop long enough to turn out the light, I detension the blade. Who knows when I might be back.

As a reminder, when I tension the blade I turn on the task light that I have connected to the BS. I leave the light on as long as the blade is tensioned. When I turn out the shop lights, it's easy to see if I've forgotten anything.

Regards,
    Tom

Comment

• gjbivin
      Established Member
      • Jan 2005
      • Gilbert, AZ, USA.
      • BT3100

I always try to remember to loosen the tension by seven or eight turns of the knob when done with the bandsaw. It prevents flat spots from forming on the bandsaw tires, as well as preventing stretching and deformation of the blade.

Be sure to leave a "reminder" that the blade is loose to prevent nasty surprises when you use the saw the next time . My saw has one of those yellow "keys" in the power switch; I pull that and put it on the saw table next to the blade. Some people have little signs or put a spring clamp on the blade as reminders.
      Gary J. Bivin
      Gilbert, AZ

Comment

• LarryG
        The Full Monte
        • May 2004
        • Off The Back
        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by Tom Miller
        If I use the BS, I tighten the blade then, and leave it tightened for that period in the shop. If I'm leaving the shop long enough to turn out the light, I detension the blade. Who knows when I might be back.
        This is precisely what I do. My BS is the popular Grizzly G0555, which comes stock with a QR tensioning lever, so tensioning/detensioning the blade is dead easy to do.

EDIT: And BTW this is not only what I do, but also what I'm supposed to do. I think most if not all the BS mfrs recommend the blade be detensioned when not in use.

EDIT2: Tom's light trick is a good one; gotta remember that, make it an excuse to buy myself a light. In the meantime, my reminder that the blade is detensioned is to drop the guide post assembly all the way down onto the table.
        Last edited by LarryG; 06-28-2006, 09:57 AM.
        Larry

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

I always know that the BS was supposed to be detensioned.
          The wider blades are the worst offenders - they put more tension on the saw. I think the dangers are that
          1) the wheels may deform and go out of round - they're just spoked hubs and are a compromise of weight vs strength.
          2) The tires may develop flat spots causing vibration
          3) the blade may take a permanent set being wrapped tightly around the wheels leading to more vibration and damage to the welds.

the saw body may deflect under load but being steel or cast iron I guess it won't hurt being under continuous load.

I did pick up some good ideas here on reminders - While I know I'm supposed to I don't always remember. Right now I have a label above the switch that says "check tension".

I like the clamp idea and the light idea.
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 06-28-2006, 10:25 AM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• rickd
            Established Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Cowichan Bay, 30 mi. north of Victoria, B.C., Canada.
            • Ryobi BT3100

i take the tension off every time i finish using my bandsaw. the ryobi 10" bandsaw has a tension lever so it's simple and fast.
            rick doyle

Rick's Woodworking Website

Comment

• Tequila
              • Aug 2004
              • King of Prussia, PA, USA.

When I'm using the bandsaw, I'll leave the blade tensioned for the whole day's worth of shop time. But at the end of the day, I always relieve the tension on the blade.
              -Joe

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Liberty, SC, USA.
                • Ridgid TS3650

I don't detension, but probably should. I have not seen any ill effects yet and I check the tires regularly. I do normally use Timberwolf low tension blades, tho, except for resawing.
                k

Comment

• maxparot
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
                  • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

I installed a Carter QR tensioner on my HF BS makes it so easy that there is no reason not to detension.
                  Opinions are like gas;
                  I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• Wood_workur
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2005
                    • Ohio
                    • Ryobi bt3100-1

I detension, and I really don't have a method of reminding myself- I alway spin the wheels a couple times by hand before plugging it in/turning it on. I can always tell when I realeased tension.
                    Alex

Comment

• Luckbox
                      Established Member
                      • Nov 2003
                      • Holly Springs, NC

I do my best to detension the blade. Need to try the light trick.
                      I love lamp.

Comment

• Tom Miller
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 2003
                        • Twin Cities, MN
                        • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Originally posted by LarryG
                        My BS is the popular Grizzly G0555, which comes stock with a QR tensioning lever....
                        Lucky! Ever take it off any sweet jumps?

[To those of you who don't get the reference: my apologies. To everyone else: my apologies.]

Since I'm not as lucky as Larry, I made a little contraption to indicate how many turns I detensioned the blade (different # for different size blades). It's just a little wooden knob dial attached to a piece of wood that has markings from 6 to 12. I turn the knob to point to the # of turns, and then place it in front of the blade. (Had a little time on my hands one day....)

Regards,
                        Tom

Comment

• LarryG
                          The Full Monte
                          • May 2004
                          • Off The Back
                          • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by Tom Miller
                          Lucky! Ever take it off any sweet jumps?

[To those of you who don't get the reference: my apologies. To everyone else: my apologies.]
                          Okay, it's been at least forty-two seconds. I give up. Ummmm ... wut?
                          Larry

Comment

• Ken Weaver
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2004
                            • Clemson, SC, USA
                            • Rigid TS3650

I haven't so far, but I turn it on usually at least once a day. I've seen some things said about detensioning, but nothing says for how long. In other words if you use the machine every 24-48 hours, should it be detensioned?
                            Ken Weaver
                            Clemson, SC

"A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

Comment

• Thom2
                              Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
                              • Jan 2003
                              • Stevens, PA, USA.
                              • Craftsman 22124

Originally posted by Ken Weaver
                              I haven't so far, but I turn it on usually at least once a day. I've seen some things said about detensioning, but nothing says for how long. In other words if you use the machine every 24-48 hours, should it be detensioned?
                              Technically the blade should be detensioned RIGHT after use and before it has a chance to cool. The blade stretches more during use when it's hot, then tries to ever so slightly shrink as it cools. With tension on the blade during the cooling cycle, the blade ends up being slightly stretched even after it has cooled, repeatedly doing this is what actually stretches a blade to the point of breakage.
                              If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
                              **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

Working...