• Show
Clear All
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

First project from the new shop.

The first project from the new shop is for the new shop. 23'6" of base cabinets to dramatically increase storage and to be my miter station. I finished 8 of the cabinets over the weekend on got the last one assembled last night. I'll level and secure them tonight and then I can start on the doors and drawers.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2290.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	475.3 KB ID:	844418

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2291.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	433.0 KB ID:	844419

And a badly distorted panoramic shot since I was way too close.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2289.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	282.3 KB ID:	844420

As a side note, Drilling the holes for the feet on a drill press even with a large table is usually a pain. The flexible table configuration of my Shopsmith made this a breeze with room to spare

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2287.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	162.6 KB ID:	844421

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2288.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	136.6 KB ID:	844422
    Chr's
    Administrator
    • Aug 2015
    • BT3K

Looking good Chr's!
    just another brick in the wall...

Boycott McAfee. They placed an unresponsive popup on my pc.

Comment

• poolhound
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2006
      • Phoenix, AZ
      • BT3100

Thats going to be a lotta storage. I love the juxtaposition of the wall full of Festool tracks with the Shopsmith!
      Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
      techzibits.com

Comment

• twistsol
        twistsol commented
        Editing a comment
        The Shopsmith is much like the BT3000. It's a little weird and seems to inspire either either love or hated. I have 2 of them although one still needs restoration. It is parked under the stairs until then.
    • capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

I had to go back and look at the juxtaposition, whatever that is, why in the world are you taking up so much valuable real estate on the slat wall with Festool track saw tracks?

Comment

• twistsol
        twistsol commented
        Editing a comment
        That is a really good point, but they have to go somewhere and for now, that's their home. When I had 10' ceilings they hung vertically and took up very little space. I assumed 128 square feet of slatwall was plenty until I used up nearly a quarter of it with tracks, especially since my cutting table is in the opposite corner of the shop.
    • LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by capncarl
      I had to go back and look at the juxtaposition, whatever that is, why in the world are you taking up so much valuable real estate on the slat wall with Festool track saw tracks?
      Looks like the track saw tracks could go stacked horizontally on (maybe slightly inclined) shelves and free up a lot of wall space.

Or you could leave it that way, get some more and have the world's most expensive wallpaper.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

If I had that many Festool tracks I’d show them off too!

Comment

• jussi
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007

Great Job!
          I'm assuming the kapex goes in the middle position of the drawers? Are you still able to mount the miter saw station extensions on top of the drawers. IIRC they were designed to hook on to UG cart.

Love the ducting. Are you using nordfab connectors? I want to redo my ductwok and was thinking about using them but I can't justify the cost. 6" or 8" main lines?

Have you always stored your tracks in that position? YMMV but when I did that in the past the splinter guard would slowly peel off at the ends. I now store them at a 45 degree angle with the splinter guard facing up.

What's the black Festool part with the straps near the mitersaw extensions. Looks like a NAINA item.
          I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• twistsol
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002

Originally posted by jussi
            Great Job!
            I'm assuming the kapex goes in the middle position of the drawers? Are you still able to mount the miter saw station extensions on top of the drawers. IIRC they were designed to hook on to UG cart.

Love the ducting. Are you using nordfab connectors? I want to redo my ductwok and was thinking about using them but I can't justify the cost. 6" or 8" main lines?

Have you always stored your tracks in that position? YMMV but when I did that in the past the splinter guard would slowly peel off at the ends. I now store them at a 45 degree angle with the splinter guard facing up.

What's the black Festool part with the straps near the mitersaw extensions. Looks like a NAINA item.
            The Kapex will go in the center well and I'll be building my own fences for it. I have 24' of Kreg Top Track to use for the fences and have modified 4 Festool flip stops to work with the Kreg track because I didn't like the sloppiness of the Kreg stops.

Ducting is 24 gauge spiral pipe from Menards and connectors from Oneida-Air and Rockler (Spiral Manufacturing). I'm not impressed with the Oneida connectors as they are spot welded and "sealed" with caulk. The Rockler ones have fully welded seams and are a much heavier gauge ... and twice the price as Oneida. I still need to tape the seams on all the drops but I want to get them fully secured to prevent damage to the tape seal. Nordfab quick connect was out of my price range (maybe for the next shop ). The main trunk is 8" with 4 6" drops. I plan to add a dust trough behind the Kapex because the 80% dust collection on the port just isn't good enough. I hate vacuuming around the Kapex UG cart.

I've had my my tracks stored horizontally like this two shops ago and vertically in the last shop. I've had only one splinter guard fail in about 10 years total. As mentioned above, I need to rethink the storage of these because of the space they take up and they're on the wrong side of the shop from my cutting table. I just don't have the ceiling height to store them vertically and wall space is at a premium.

The black Festool parts are the carrying caps and strap for the UG Extenstions. These and the UG cart will be relegated to on site work, and won't be used in the shop. The extensions are pretty beat up. About two years ago I came home from my daughter's house and pulled this out of my truck in -30F degrees weather and the caps shattered and both extensions dropped on the concrete. I straightened them mostly, but one now has a crushed t-track so the stops don't have full range anymore.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2295.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	117.2 KB ID:	844434
            Last edited by twistsol; 06-16-2021, 10:25 AM.
            Chr's

Comment

• twistsol
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002

Managed to complete the second counter top, the mount for the miter saw, and the fences for the miter station this weekend. Doors drawers and toe kicks are still left on the to do list for this project. Dust collection works great when I remember to open the blast gate.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2326.jpeg
Views:	455
Size:	221.0 KB
ID:	844726 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2325.jpeg
Views:	458
Size:	227.8 KB
ID:	844727
              Chr's

Comment

• Black walnut
                Administrator
                • Aug 2015
                • BT3K

Looking great!
                just another brick in the wall...

Boycott McAfee. They placed an unresponsive popup on my pc.

Comment

• twistsol
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002

Here are the details of the functions of the miter station

First up, the mount for the miter saw is two layers of 3/16 hardboard sandwiching 5/8 particle board in between. That had it exactly flush with the counters on either side, so once the laminate was added, it is about 3/32 proud of the counters so stock slides easily onto the counters without catching. In my haste to glory, I put the laminate on the edge that had the cutout for the DC pipe so you can see the layers on the front, but the back edge is nicely laminated. Doh!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2330.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	203.8 KB ID:	844735
                  It's hard to get a decent picutre of this, but behind the saw is a slot at the bottom of a 45 degree trough to pick up the dust that blows past the dust collection of the saw. It still isn't perfect, but much better than cleaning up the floor around the saw every time I used it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2333.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	104.5 KB ID:	844736

Under the trough is just a box that the 6" pipe goes into. I experimentd with the size of the slot in the trough and about an inch wide and 36" long keeps air moving fast enough that the trough is remains empty of sawdust. It is just sitting on a couple of blocks so it can be slid out if anything gets dropped in that shouldn't be there. I would need to remove the kn obs and bolts that hold the saw in place to get it out.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2332.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	61.5 KB ID:	844732

The fence is just built up from damaged birch plywood that was in the shop. 6" base, 3" backer and 2.25" high fence. Glued and screwed with laminate on the face

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2334.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	109.2 KB ID:	844733
                  I used the domino with an 8mm bit set to wide to cut the mounting slots in the fence base. 1/4 bolts and star knobs hold it in place very securely. The slot gives 28mm or just over an inch of lateral movement.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2336.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	182.1 KB ID:	844734

Topped the whole thing off with Kreg Top track. The tape is just laying in place at the moment, I'll get that set and calibrated tonight. I was tired last night by the time I got to that point and figured I'd screw it up if I tried. I also figured out the issue with the Kreg flip stop slow so I'll be sticking with those. I'll post a review of Kreg top track and the stops along with details of the problem and how the user had to be fixed to solve it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2338.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	69.1 KB ID:	844731
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by twistsol; 07-26-2021, 10:33 AM.
                  Chr's

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

I see you have some nice bright shiny (treadplated) long power strips mounted above the table top... Did you consider putting all the duplex wall electrical outlets you have located in the back of the cabinets higher in the first place, at all?
                    Or did I mention this before and you said you wanted them in the traditional location for future owners.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• twistsol
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                      I see you have some nice bright shiny (treadplated) long power strips mounted above the table top... Did you consider putting all the duplex wall electrical outlets you have located in the back of the cabinets higher in the first place, at all?
                      Or did I mention this before and you said you wanted them in the traditional location for future owners.
                      Eventually we will want to sell since I'm basically a nomad. I put them at the traditional height so I don't have to move them later. Having a 240v 30 amp outlet in the "family Room" is weird enough.

Actually, I may replace or paint the power strips because I don't like the reflection from them. I keep thinking I'm seeing movement in places I shouldn't and it is distracting.
                      Chr's

Comment

Working...