• Show
Clear All
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Closing up shop for a while.

The house is finished which means it must be sold. Six years after it was finished, I'll be losing my 24 x 26 deicated shop in a few weeks and everything is going into storage for a year or so since we are most likely going to build a new house closer to the city. Shop space is a prime criteria for wherever we end up.

New shop building is complete
    Chr's
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007

Just means you get to look forward to a new shop 😁. You should document it
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• Jim Frye
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Maumee, OH, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Ah, did that three years ago. We built a new home and sold the one we'd been in for 30 years. While we designed and built the new home, I got to take 30 years of compiling what I'd do different if I had a shop larger than 12'x12' and wrap it into a new shop design. Oddly enough, after much thought, I ended up making a larger basement shop that is laid out for work much the way I worked in the old shop, just a lot more efficient. I finally had the space to keep all of my tools inside the shop and put them on mobile bases for quicker setup/breakdown. Hope you enjoy the build process.
      Jim Frye
      The Nut in the Cellar.
      ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

I am constantly telling my friends that are thinking about retiring or have already retired, and want to travel and see the sights in our great country. I say do .it before you get too old or too worn out. Don’t procrastinate until you get 75 years old and wonder where all the years went. Some of them say they want to build a nice shop but are waiting for they money to get right! I suppose they are hoping to win the lottery? They say they want to leave something for the kids..... I tell them to leave them a nice shop!
        Congrads on the new shop. Just remember to build it big enough the first time.

Comment

• twistsol
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002

Movers came yesterday morning and everything went to storage. We close on the old house on the 16th. I still need to take down the air cleaner from the ceiling. The woman who bought the house repairs and refinishes furniture so the shop space won't be used just be to store someone's toys.

Empty shop
          Chr's

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

Are you leaving the ductwork? If she is a refinisher she needs dust collection, whether she knows it or not.

Comment

• twistsol
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002

I am leaving the ductork behind mainly because I reveted it together rather than using screws so taking it down would be a nightmare.
              Chr's

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

Sorry to see you are losing your shop, and best of luck getting the new one set up!
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...