Simple DIY Shop Made items for use in the shop - what have you made?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Stop block for repetitive Cross cuts using the miter fence.
    Of course we all know you can't use the rip fence as a stop as the cutoff will jam between the blade and rip fence, possibly causing a major kickback.
    Having a block on the rip fence in front of the blade allows cutoffs to lay peacefully and safely once cut.
    In this case I made it to work with the really nice Rockler Fence clamps (see separate article) and I made it exactly one inch wide so my rip scale would indicate the length of the cutoff + one inch.
    I have the T-nuts that fit the slot in the front of the fence but the Rockler Fence Clamp is so much easier to use and doesn't interfere with operations.

Another five minute project you can use many times. Click image for larger version

Name:	P8020014_sm.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	826795
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-03-2016, 11:52 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• JimD
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Lexington, SC.

OK, I will post some stuff, mostly these are things I haven't posted about anywhere but some may be repeats. I recently finished what I consider to be my most important wall in my shop. It is 14x24 and one of the long walls has two windows which makes it less usefull The other long wall, with no windows or doors, is my most important wall. It has wood storage on short pieces of conduit set in holes in the doubled 2x4s of the wall on the top of most of the wall. Most of the lower length is two benches for a total of 12 feet where I have my CMS and RAS. I recently finished a Paulk style surface (two layers with holes) for about 7 feet of this length and that part has flip stops I really like. They require no fence so it leaves the surface flat. I have my router table, a flip top with my Jet mortise and old AP-10 planner on it and my shop vac with dust deputy setup also along this wall as you can see. There is also my paper towel holder that also has glue bottles on top. My home made parallel guides for my DeWalt track saw are on this wall as are my track setting guides (my invention). There are also several sets of bars that go into the holes of the Paulk worksurfaces to create a fixed right angle for assembling things (they have wing nuts in 3/4 dowels which are a loose fit in the 20mm holes of the workbench).

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

For my next trick, a drill press vacuum device. I was inspired by Rod Kirby for this.

A multi-section articulated arm holding a shop-vac slim nozzle attachment makes a good drill press dust collection. I use an auto-trigger relay to turn on the Vac when the drill press is on.
        Works with twist bits, brad point bits and forstners. Keeps the workpiece clean and the hole visible without having to bend over and blow, haha.
        Some stuff gets away with really large forstners and high RPMs - probably have to put suckers on both sides! Some large forstners also have large shavings that can clog up this particular nozzle.But mostly it works quite well.

I cut/bevelled away a little of the underside of the vac nozzle - it lets in bigger shavings you get from forstners and allows pickup from under the noozle.
        Short 10-second video if you click the link. You have to click on it to download it and likely open it to play it on your PC. Older version of Windows media player (win 7) won't play that version of MP4 but Win 10 Media player will. I use VLC media player it works for MP4 in all versions of windows.

short vac video.mp4
        Attached Files
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-09-2016, 01:48 AM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Low Bandsaw rip fence

I keep this next to my Bandsaw. Its a L-fence, I use it when ripping or making skinny fence guided cuts on low height items where the blade guide-blocks and blade guard keep me from getting the blade too close to the fence because the blocks and guard protrude to the side when the top blade guide assy is lowered.

A small 4-inch F-clamp or two holds it in place.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	P8060037_sm.jpg Views:	164 Size:	138.6 KB ID:	826885
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 10-18-2021, 01:35 AM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• LCHIEN
            LCHIEN commented
            Editing a comment
            Spring 2022... You know, I just learned that the Duginske/Kreg fence I have is L-shaped and if you swap ends and rotate it and clamp it back to the mount, it serves as a low fence. But, still, the wood one I made is quickly and easily used.
        • capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

I like the drill press vacuum. I think I will fab one of these up for my band saw and hook it up to the dust collector. It's got such crappy dust collection as it is.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2007
            • Buena Park, CA
            • CM 21829

Storage shelf for sandpaper disks which I use for sanding bowls. Has a clear hinged door to keep out shavings, and a HF magnetic strip on the back, so I can orient it vertically, or horizontally.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	sanding disk1sm.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	274.4 KB
ID:	826917 Click image for larger version

Name:	sanding disk2sm.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	319.9 KB
ID:	826918
            Last edited by Bill in Buena Park; 08-07-2016, 11:24 PM.
            Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• LCHIEN
              LCHIEN commented
              Editing a comment
              Cool execution!
          • Bill in Buena Park
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2007
            • Buena Park, CA
            • CM 21829

I made this table saw sled out of shop scraps (except for the t-slot track) based on a magazine article. It is adjustable from zero clearance to dado widths. I also added the left-side extension to carry longer boards. Click image for larger version

Name:	ts sled1sm.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	336.3 KB
ID:	826920 Click image for larger version

Name:	ts sled2sm.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	260.3 KB
ID:	826921 Click image for larger version

Name:	ts sled3sm.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	269.3 KB
ID:	826922
            Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2007
              • Buena Park, CA
              • CM 21829

I made a stand-alone router table with a tall fence that has adjustable cheeks (but really, who hasn't?)

Name:	routertablesm.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	826925
              Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2007
                • Buena Park, CA
                • CM 21829

I made a mobile lumber storage cart that can store half-sheets in a rearward area, boards/offcuts up front, and then I added clamp storage to the back.

Name:	lumbercart1sm.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	327.2 KB
ID:	826927 Click image for larger version

Name:	lumbercart2sm.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	358.8 KB
ID:	826928
                Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2007
                  • Buena Park, CA
                  • CM 21829

I made some fences for my 21829 (BT3 clone) - one is a tall fence for the saw, with slot for finger board, and the other is a simple router fence for the router side. Both mount onto the rip fence.

Name:	tallfencesm.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	304.6 KB
ID:	826930 Click image for larger version

Name:	routerfencesm.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	249.2 KB
ID:	826931
                  Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2007
                    • Buena Park, CA
                    • CM 21829

Here's a simple coping sled I made for my router table, I made this back when I built my first frame&panel blanket chest, still working fine.

Name:	copingjigsm.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	247.4 KB
ID:	826933
                    Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2007
                      • Buena Park, CA
                      • CM 21829

I made this "pen press" out of a pipe clamp embedded in a small frame, simple but effective. Has assembled hundreds of pens.

Name:	penpresssm.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	826936
                      Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2007
                        • Buena Park, CA
                        • CM 21829

I wanted to add a face vise and sliding deadman to my HF workbench, so I built this frame to attach to the front to carry two wood vises that can be conjoined to work as one long face vise. (I had to lower the drawer assembly from its stock position in order to accommodate the vise hardware.)

Name:	benchfrontsm.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	370.2 KB
ID:	826938
                        Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2007
                          • Buena Park, CA
                          • CM 21829

I made this frame on which to mount the components of my HF DC to a better airflow configuration. I also made the Thien baffle that sits on the trashcan separator.

Name:	DCModsm.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	226.9 KB
ID:	826940
                          Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• poolhound
                            Veteran Member
                            • Mar 2006
                            • Phoenix, AZ
                            • BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                            For my next trick, a drill press vacuum device. I was inspired by Rod Kirby for this.

A multi-section articulated arm holding a shop-vac slim nozzle attachment makes a good drill press dust collection. I use an auto-trigger relay to turn on the Vac when the drill press is on.
                            Works with twist bits, brad point bits and forstners. Keeps the workpiece clean and the hole visible without having to bend over and blow, haha.
                            Some stuff gets away with really large forstners and high RPMs - probably have to put suckers on both sides! Some large forstners also have large shavings that can clog up this particular nozzle.But mostly it works quite well.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_22856_1470496955461_90[/ATTACH]

stay posted...technical difficulties with video upload
                            I look forward to seeing your pic/video as I have been searching for a good DC option of my DP.
                            Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                            techzibits.com

Comment

• LCHIEN
                              LCHIEN commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I have now uploaded the video as an attachment. You have to click on it to download it and likely open it to play it on your PC. Older version of Windows media player (win 7) won't play that version of MP4 but Win 10 Media player will. I use VLC media player it works for MP4 in all versions of windows.
                              Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-09-2016, 01:47 AM.
                          Working...