• Show
Clear All
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

Hanging/Storing nailers

I am just wrapping up a shop re-org and have been working on making better use of storage and ease of access to tools. I just installed a new air hose reel and have it running to my compressor that is in my outside attached enclosure along with my DC. I had been just keeping my nail guns in a bag in a cupboard but that wasnt great. I would like to hang them on the wall by the hose reel and wondered how others may have done this or maybe there is a better idea out there.

If any of you do have something like this would appreciate a picture or 2 and a description if construction isnt obvious. Thanks!
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Pegboard may be ugly, but it's simple and it works ... These are my construction nailers. The finish nailers are hung the same way in the other shop but I didn't feel like walking down there for a photo.

Construction Nailers

Click image for larger version

Name:	Nailer Hanging.jpg
Views:	2877
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	825634
    Chr's

Comment

• JimD
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Lexington, SC.

I haven't built it yet but I plan a cabinet I think I saw on New Yankee Workshop and had in my last shop. It is a foot deep with 3/4 shelves, fixed, with 1/4 dados about 2 inches apart. Dividers go into the dados (luan plywood) to create spaces for tools you want readily available. One of the tools that go in this ate my nailers and staplers. And my cordless tools.

Comment

• poolhound
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2006
        • Phoenix, AZ
        • BT3100

Well I went with the easy and quick approach. had some pieces of peg board lying around so thats it for a while at least.

Name:	image_22619.jpg
Views:	1573
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	825642
        Last edited by poolhound; 06-03-2016, 08:35 PM.
        Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
        techzibits.com

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n825645[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]n825646[/ATTACH]
          Last edited by capncarl; 06-03-2016, 09:37 PM. Reason: It is screwed up and needs fixin

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

Just for laughs I'll try to attach the photo again. The long nail gun in the lower corner is an old Stephens 12 ga single barrel break action with plastic stocks. It shoots well and kicks like a mule. I like to keep it handy just in case something nasty comes up.

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1320
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	825649

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Mine, mostly in the original blow mold case or cardboard box or a wood case made for it.
              Lined up on a shelf on edge next to each other, a P-touch label on the visible side so I can identify it quickly.
              offhand,
              18 ga x 2" Craftsman
              18 ga 2" HF
              18 ga 1.25" Bostich
              16 ga.x 2.5" Craftsman
              16 Ga. Bostich
              1/2" crown stapler - Craftsman
              1/2" crown stapler, HF
              1/4" crown stapler - HF
              23 ga x 1"pin nailer

Yes, there seems to be some duplications - I have too many nailers.
              Last edited by LCHIEN; 06-06-2016, 07:57 PM.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

I don't have a photo handy but... I hang mine on the pegboard of my shop cabinet doors, head up so as to minimize the leverage put against the peg board and hopefully keep it from ripping out. I have one that doesn't hang from the pegboard, simply because it is too large, the framing nailer. It hangs on a long nail driven into the stud below the cabinet and behind the lathe.

My nailers are..

#1. HF 21 degree Framing nailer.
                #2. HF 3 in 1 nailer / stapler.
                #3. HF 23 gauge pin nailer.
                #4. HF 16 gauge finish nailer A.K.A. the leaker. It had an air leak when I bought it, but I waited too long to get a replacement, so I fixed it with a thin film of black RTV. It won't want to come apart easily if it needs fixed down the road, but replacing it should be dirt cheap...

FWIW, my framing nailer has spent more time out of my shop on loan seeing HEAVY use than it has in my shop or in my use. I have no intention of buying a roofing nailer as the guy that uses the snot out of my framing nailer has a roofing gun I can borrow when I need it...

I do want a HF 18 ga brad nailer, and have the space for it...
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by twistsol
                  Pegboard may be ugly, but it's simple and it works ... These are my construction nailers. The finish nailers are hung the same way in the other shop but I didn't feel like walking down there for a photo.

Construction Nailers

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n825634[/ATTACH]

That's the method I tried at first. You are going to want to use at least 2 hooks per nailer. At least I did. My pegboard ripped out when I only had one peg per nailer...
                  Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• twistsol
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Originally posted by dbhost

That's the method I tried at first. You are going to want to use at least 2 hooks per nailer. At least I did. My pegboard ripped out when I only had one peg per nailer...
                    I've probably just been lucky, but they've been hanging that way for about a decade with no issues. As part of the remodel, we need to take down the ceiling in the garage and I plan on installing slatwall instead of the pegboard in the garage when we put it back together.
                    Chr's

Comment

• capncarl
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • Leesburg Georgia USA
                      • SawStop CTS

Its a woodworking site, right? Ditch the pegboard hooks and make fitted hangers that hold the tool like a snap on tool box fitted insert!

Comment

• twistsol
                        twistsol commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Until I have more time, I'll have to live with the shame of using pegboard
                    • dbhost
                      Slow and steady
                      • Apr 2008
                      • League City, Texas
                      • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by twistsol

I've probably just been lucky, but they've been hanging that way for about a decade with no issues. As part of the remodel, we need to take down the ceiling in the garage and I plan on installing slatwall instead of the pegboard in the garage when we put it back together.
                      Maybe the older pegboard isn't quite as awful as the stuff I am using... I just know my little 23 ga pin nailer ripped it out...

Maybe I have shop gnomes running around in there. Might make some things make sense, like where the heck are my hole saws?

Comment

• leehljp
                        Just me
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Tunica, MS
                        • BT3000/3100

Maybe the older pegboard isn't quite as awful as the stuff I am using...
                        You live in the HUMID 365-6 DAYS a year Houston TX area, twistsol lives in the sometimes months long FREEZE DRIED area of Minn. Might that have anything to do with it?
                        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
                          Internet Fact Checker
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Katy, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 vintage 1999

There's two grades of pegboard and two grades of pegboard hooks. The hole size and spacing is the same but the heavy duty pegboard are twice as thick and needs really to have the heavy duty hooks which have longer peg hooks to anchor properly in the HD pegboard. The light duty hooks in HD pegboard don't allow the bottom stop to lie against the pegboard face and the tool hooks usually point obscenely towards the ceiling.

The heavy duty hooks are also made of metal that is about 33% thicker and a lot more bend resistant.

Oh, I found this: (see next post)
                          Last edited by LCHIEN; 06-12-2016, 09:43 PM.
                          Loring in Katy, TX USA
                          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            Internet Fact Checker
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Katy, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Pegboard specifications (from the wikipedia article on pegboard)
                            For the B type its recommended to get heavy duty hooks.

Name:	pegboard specs.JPG
Views:	1226
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	825854
                            Last edited by LCHIEN; 06-13-2016, 01:34 AM.
                            Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

Working...