• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Lexington, SC.

Wiring Started

I had a contractor add a 14x24 garage last year plus a room over and some other things. The extra garage is for my shop. He had to finish the ceiling because there is finished space above the garage. So I had the electrician put in 4 boxes for lights and switches at both doors. There is a 15A circuit for the lights. I had one more 20A circuit run for my tools. I know that is too little for a lot of you but it worked in my last shop for me so I think it will work in this one.

I drilled all the holes this afternoon and wired the first three outlets. I am just hooking up the outlets as I go. The holes are the hard work. Hooking up outlets and running wire takes time but isn't hard. I will have 12 20A outlets. On one wall, they will be about 4 feet apart. On the other, it is closer to 6 feet apart.

After I get the 20A circuit run, I plan to add outlets on the 15A light circuit. My lights are fluorescent and only pull about an amp. So I can use that circuit for smaller tools.

My outlets will all be about 48 inches high. My counters will be 38 1/4 inches - a little higher than normal. The top of the 20 amp boxes will be at 48 inches. The bottom of the 15A boxes will be at 48 inches.

It will be nice to go from one outlet to around 20. Should finish it next weekend.
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

One caution about running outlets on your lighting circuit. I did this in my old shop and plugged in the shop vac to the lighting circuit and was running the planer off another circuit. When the breaker tripped on the vac and the lights, I was standing in absolute darkeness in front of the running planer groping for the power switch which is right next to the infeed.
    Chr's

Comment

• Stytooner
      Roll Tide RIP Lee
      • Dec 2002
      • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
      • BT3100

I have one of these.

You can get them cheaper without the exit sign, but I have no windows in the shop yet. I intend to put a small one in the doors.
      It works great. Had lightning put the lights out for a short time and it came on instantly. Not in total darkness.
      Lee

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

I have two separate lighting circuits because of the issues mentioned. One of the circuits has a ceiling mounted electric chord reel which I will occasionally use for my planer if I'm too lazy to reach for the wall outlet--which can get obscured with junk. The reel has its own trip breaker so if the item plugged into it trips, it trips that breaker and doesn't turn off the lights.

It's not the best practice, but even if that reel wasn't in use, I'd only lose half the lights and not all of them.

Comment

• Stytooner
          Roll Tide RIP Lee
          • Dec 2002
          • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
          • BT3100

It's usually not good practice to install receptacles in a lighting circuit for the reasons mentioned, but also because some tools and machines may cause lights to flicker. I do have one at the end of my lighting circuit, but it just gets two led flood lights plugged in that light my cnc mill enclosure. So still lighting.
          Lee

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

I know I overdrew my shop circuits, 2 total, for a lot of years and things weren't working great, table saw would trip off, same with miter saw... If you can upgrade a hair more, I can't strongly enough suggest you go with at least 3 20 amp circuits, 1 for tools, 1 for dust collection, and 1 for lighting...

My shop uses 1 shared 20 amp from the house for lighting, and 3 dedicated 20s in a sub panel, 1 for tools, 1 for HVAC, and 1 for dust collection / air compressor. It's made everything electrical related in the shop much safer and more reliable...
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• poolhound
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2006
              • Phoenix, AZ
              • BT3100

Jim,

First let me say - Yes I am one of those guys who like lots of circuits.

Did you have a sub panel installed in this new structure? If so running a couple of extra circuits doesnt seem any more hassle as you are already running lots of cable, making holes and wiring lots of outlets. The only extra cost would be a couple of extra breakers and some more cable.
              Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
              techzibits.com

Comment

• JimD
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2003
                • Lexington, SC.

Yes, running more circuits means cutting through finished space. There is no panel in the shop garage. I'm glad you guys like lots of circuits but, as I've mentioned before, I did this for 15 years in my last shop. It really has worked fine for me.

The main reason to use the light circuit is dust collection. While I have a 1 hp DC, I will start out with the shop vac (with it's dust deputy). I have run both it and my BT3100 on the 20 amp circuit but they are capable of pulling more than 20 amps at maximum load (shop vac about 8 and BT3100 15). I am thinking of adding an aftermarket switch that turns the shop vac on when the tool goes on. They claim to have circuitry in it to avoid an overload. Doesn't seem totally credible but the reviews are pretty favorable. I'm half expecting this to work fine for my track saw and other loads that are a bit less then the Ryobi but not for it or my CMS is they get loaded up in a deep cut. In that case, the shop vac or DC will go on the light circuit. Neither should result in tripping of the 15A breaker, even with the lights.

I know the lights could go out, however. I have two windows and windows in the garage door which is often open. Both the light and tool circuit are dedicated to the shop so I should control my own destiny.

Comment

• JimD
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2003
                  • Lexington, SC.

I was off today and finished my outlets. I have 12 on the 20A tool circuit and 5 on the lighting circuit. The latter will only be used for small tools occasionally unless I need it for a small DC - that is what I did in my last shop. But I am not sure I will install the DC in this shop. I will use my shop vac with dust deputy first and see how it goes.

Going from 1 to 17 outlets is a significant change for the better. Now if I had the insulation in, the walls up, cabinets made, new bench made etc... But for now I'll enjoy not having to plug and unplug tools from one extension cord.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

When I did my garage electrical upgrade I added 4 20A circuits to the existing one that also supplied the lights.

I figured
                    One for the TS, overhead dropped down using one of those $10.49 extension cords with four outlets and green LEDs spaced every 8 feet.
                    One for the DC (The DC is on a remote switch I posted about)
                    One for the Air compressor and also feeds a nearby corner with a cordless phone and sprinkler control that both needed something better than a long extension cord thrown up over the rafters.
                    One along the south wall for the air cleaner and a few tools there (DP, BS, Jointer etc).

I have added to the lights from the original two screw-in bulb fixtures to 6 dual 40-W fluorescent fixtures plus task lighting on the router table, BS, and Drill presses.

This forum is devoted to discussions about shop setup, layout and design. Topics here include wiring, wood and tool storage, floorplans, dust collection, and basically all the infrastructural stuff not directly related to specific projects and tools. Pictures of members' shops are welcome and encouraged.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• capncarl
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • Leesburg Georgia USA
                      • SawStop CTS

I had a 200 amp service run to my shop. I figured on 220 volt air conditioning needs, my 220 volt Mig and stick welder, 220 volt air compressor, 220 volt dust collector and future 220 volt table saw. You never have enough light in a shop so leave a couple of blanks in your box for future lighting, then there is exterior light needs for security lights. You also may need exterior 110v recepticals for outside jobs that require lights and saws. I didn't see much difference in the price from 100 amp to 200 amp service.

Comment

Working...