• Show
Clear All
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

I'd hate to have to sharpen that blade.

You could have done it yourself with picks and chisels. Might have taken a couple years, and a few more doctors visits for your back.
    Erik

Comment

• chopnhack
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2006
      • Florida
      • Ryobi BT3100

Now that's a saw blade ;-)
      I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• JSUPreston
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • Montgomery, AL.
        • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Originally posted by chopnhack
        Now that's a saw blade ;-)
        Think Lee could make a Shark Guard for that one?
        "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• Tom Clark
          Forum Newbie
          • Jul 2007
          • Deming, NM
          • Powermatic 66 w/48" sliding table

Nice building. You will love it. My last two shops have been steel buildings, so thought I would throw in a couple of ideas. The first was in north FL, and had the typical R11 insulation. It was way too hot in the summer, and hard to heat in the winter.

The second building is in the NM desert, so I wanted it better insulated! They built it will R19 ceiling, but only R11 walls - all they offered. After 15 years in the first building with only the insulation for walls, this time I wanted solid walls that I could mount things on. When the building was finished I added studs on 24" centers, screwed the top rail right to the metal beam, and used Tapcons to screw the bottom to the floor. Then put 50 sheets of 2" thick x 4' x 8' foam insulation behind the studs.

The foam sheets was cheap insulation. I was going to use the inexpensive paneling for walls I remembered from years ago. Hah! Try to find some! $20 and up for the really cheap stuff. This time 7/16 OSB was used. It cost $7.20 per sheet and makes for solid walls. It looked like a dungeon until painted white.

The new shop is far nicer than the old one. We are at 5000', so it cools off at night, so the shop hardly ever goes over 82 degrees even on 100 degree days.

This is just throwing out an idea. Worked for me…
          Attached Files

Comment

• BadeMillsap
            • Dec 2005
            • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
            • Grizzly G1023SL

Tom

Thank you for the notes and pics !! I really like the idea of the studs and will definitely use that going forward. As far as insulation I am sure you are correct that more is better I just have to get to an acceptable cost vs comfort happy medium.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2
            "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
            Bade Millsap
            Bulverde, Texas
            => Bade's Personal Web Log
            => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• twistsol
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
              • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

The shop looks great. It's a little depressing that I started mine a year ago and you're now ahead of me. You're going to have a great space when it's completed.
              Chr's

Comment

• BadeMillsap
                • Dec 2005
                • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
                • Grizzly G1023SL

Pretty much complete with the addition of counter top and cabinets ...

Well it's been a long haul but other than a few "todo" items like getting the DC like I want it ... the shop is mostly complete and fully functional ...

I finished the countertop and cabinets this evening ... first time I ever built cabinets ... can't say I liked the chore and I definitely don't like painting them!!

The cabinets above the counter top were purchased along with a couple of others not pictured on craigslist for $25/each ...

The counter top is a double layer of 3/4" MDF sealed with polyurethane (which it turns out I AM old enough to purchase ... ) ... I'll add another pegboard over the middle (there are already two 4x8 PBs not pictured)... counter top is 19.5' long and 24" deep ... very comfortable to work at.

I'm REALLY glad to have the cabinets and counter top finished ... it was getting very tiresome having things scattered between two shops and all over the floor...
                Attached Files
                "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
                Bade Millsap
                Bulverde, Texas
                => Bade's Personal Web Log
                => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

Working...