• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Charity beds.

I will be building some bed frames for donation to families in section 8 housing in Houston. I sourced up surface mount bed rail connector hardware from Amazon. https://amzn.to/46LjLSb
    The kits come with brackets and screws to do 2 bed frames.

I have decided I am going to go with 2x6s for the rails. I will try out my idea of roller stand for the jointer and face / edge joint then plane and rip to 1x5. A simple cleat, glued and screwed will support the slats, each slat will pin into the cleat using a 1/4" dowel to keep from sliding off of the cleat.

Headboard / footboard will be 2x4s jointed, planed and glued up / doubled up to make a sturdy post. 2x4 top and bottom rails, and pine plywood beadboard filler panels floated in a groove. .

I know its a basic design and easy to accomplish, but it will get them off the floor and give the recipient kid a solid piece of furniture to take with them when the go to college or get their own apartment...

Now the biggest issue, sourcing up straight 2x4 and 2x6 lumber... I think I need to go to Sutherlands and steer clear of the BORG.....

For anyone interested in the Houston Metro area, if you want to support a charity that can use our skills with woodworking, look up https://www.facebook.com/gabriela.elizondo.gonzales.
    Last edited by dbhost; 10-28-2023, 09:41 AM.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

I made a full size bed frame. I used 2x2 for the corner posts, 1x6 for the rails (3/4" thickness is just enough to hide the 5/8" hardware) and 1x6 fir the cross members in the head and footboards.
    It was plenty strong. I think 2x6 on edge will hold an elephant! Seriously!

For Slats I think I used 1x3 or 1x4, rounded over 3/8" with 50% coverage... Screwed subrails to the rails and then put 2 permanent blocks head end (spliting the 1st two slats) and 2 permanent blocks foot end to split the last two slats. Placed the rest of the slats using temporary spacers then stapled 2 nylon strap to the slats to keep them from sliding around.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	54
Size:	311.2 KB
ID:	856633

The only comment I have is that rolling up a full beds worth of slats is very heavy and hard to handle! If I was to do it again, I would make two sets of slats rather than one large one.

https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...ge2#post632526

see attached pictures
    Attached Files
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 10-28-2023, 12:39 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

The bed I am designing is for an boy about to enter his teens. I doubt 2x2 corner posts would cut the mustard, OR offer a substantial enough "look". 2x6 rails

If you missed it, the 2x6 stock will be jointed and planed down to 1" thick x 5" tall.Close to 1x6 but a hair thicker offering a beefier look that I am going for...

I haven't checked in a while, but #2 2x6 USED to be considerably less expensive than clear 1x6.and as long as they are tight, I am actually going for the knots look...

For perspective, I need to build a frame for the bed in my front bedroom as it has been on a roller frame for years and is driving me nuts, and I would do it the same with knotty pine. I just love the look...

I like your rail retainer system, definately going to shift to that design as it looks less trouble prone and eaier to build.

1x3 should suffice as slats. That is what our king bed in the master suite is made with...

The corner brackets I will be using for this build are surface mount. I hung up the mortised ones for speed of build reasons. I want to knock this thing out and get the kid in it as a gift for Christmas. I admit I work slow and have too much going on. Especially with shop projects and the camper project.

I wanted a design I could bang out and have the kid sleeping in it before new years...

Here is the best pic Amazon has of the setup for the bracket...
      Last edited by dbhost; 10-28-2023, 09:36 AM.
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• gsmittle
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2004
        • St. Louis, MO, USA.
        • BT 3100

Originally posted by dbhost
        The bed I am designing is for an boy about to enter his teens. I doubt 2x2 corner posts would cut the mustard, OR offer a substantial enough "look".
        For a young man just entering his teens, you might want to consider 4x or 6x lumber. My two dudes were rough on equipment. As my dad used to say, "They could tear up an iron ball."

Seriously, though, it sounds like a good, sturdy, and quick project. The guy receiving it will be thrilled.

Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
        Bill & Ted

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
          commented
          Editing a comment
          Depending on what I can source up, I will either use SYP 4x4 OR doubled up SYP 2x4 for the posts. I am going with beefy as teen boys tend to be hard on furniture...
      Working...