• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

The projects queue. What's yours?

I have some projects in mind, I am sure my wife has others for me, but the woodworking and related projects in my queue are...
    1. Proper kitchen and bathroom cabinets. This will consume a good amount of rather pricey plywood, but is MUCH better than the 1984 paritcleboard junkers in there now.
    2. Moms memento box. She wants a letter box made with the State wood from each state that her boys settled in. Pecan for me, Eastern Redbud, yeah like that is easy to get, for my oldest brother, and Oregon Myrtle for my middle brother. How to get the material? Anyone willing to ship me some state woods from Oklahoma and Oregon? Neither brother knows much about sourcing odd lumber...
    3. Dads cobblers bench. When I grew up, our living room coffee table was a cobblers bench my Dad made from a 1950s magazine plan. I have that very same plan and even though Dads actual bench is long gone thanks to the middle brother, I want to build a replica of that bench.
    4. Matching, sort of cut down cobblers benches but not, end tables / lamp tables. Basically lose the seat area, just build the box with the drawers, perhaps turn a lamp column and attach / build in lamps, integrate some Ikea Tradfri smart outlets and call it good. The idea is to LOOK like Dads 1950s work, not BE Dads 1950s work.
    5. Refinish the well worn front door.
    6. Live edge pecan coaster set. Easy right? Not when every time I get Pecan limbs the right size they end up in the BBQ pit... Need to take them to the miter saw first!
    7. Truck camper. Not sure this is a woodworking project, but it INVOLVES woodworking. Planning a M&T skeleton frame with PMF / Foamie construction. Look up foamie teardrop trailer and apply the same concepts to a pickup camper shell with a Thyroid issue and you get the idea. Cabinet doors, shelving etc... are going to be faced with T&G cedar, which I may have to mill up myself out of fence pickets to keep prices down.
    8. Wifes wedding memoriabilia shadow box. I am WAY overdue for building this, but I need to build a shadow box with some sort of UV filtering acrylic panel for my lovely wifes wedding doo dads like the bouquet yes it was silks, the garter etc...
    9. PS/4 controller / headset charging and storage stands. I've mentioned that we have relatives that do a bit of gaming as they are immuno compromised, and, well the safest way for them to visit family is online. So we get together in a group and do some gaming. Anyone want to do a mission in Los Santos, or join a party in Eorzea with us is welcome. It is sad that I know what those are..
    10. Cedar roll up campers shower mat. basically a mat to keep feet out of wet when using the shower tent in case water +dirt = mud... I try to capture, and / or set up for drainage but success is hit or miss.
    I am 100% certain I am missing like 90% of what I need / want to do. But there it is.

What's on your list?
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Here is the current list.
    • Build office cabinets and bookshelves - this is started and I've rough cut about half the parts for the lower cabinets, but I keep getting sidetricked by work, kids, grandkids, other parts of life in general.
    • Build Feature wall in foyer and Barn Door - I'm using reclaimed barn-wood on the back side of the bookshelves that will separate my office from the foyer in the house. Right now there is an 11' opening in the wall. The bookshelves will close off 8' of that opening and a sliding barn door will close off the rest. My office is technically the formal dining room on the house plan so I want to be able to restore it to its original purpose easily when the nomad in me strikes again.
    • Build office desk - I'm going to attempt to replicate a 1949 Carlo Mollino protractor desk. Replicas start at around $1500 and really good replicas can be upwards of $5k. An original can set you back well into five figures.
    • Build office media / printer stand - No design for this yet, and it depends on whether or not the desk is a success.
    • Build buffet in dining room with bookshelf and wine rack and/or beverage Fridge
    • Build little free library
    • Rocking horse by Christmas 2022 for granddaughter

Replica of 1949 Carlo Mollino Protractor Desk.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1949-Protractor-98_-Desk-oak.jpeg
Views:	209
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	849087
    Chr's

Comment

• LCHIEN
      LCHIEN commented
      Editing a comment
      That desk is very contemporary, esp. for 1949. Still looks spacey even for 2022.

• twistsol
      twistsol commented
      Editing a comment
      I love mid century modern furniture, and this designer was the best of the best.
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

DB
    what is your status on Pecan? Readily available? What size for your boxes?

Comment

• LCHIEN
      LCHIEN commented
      Editing a comment
      I see pecan wood for sale at wood shops along Hwy 71 going to Austin from Houston.
      Pecan is a fairly common tree in Texas.

• dbhost

dbhost
      commented
      Editing a comment
      My lumber rack is well stocked with Walnut, Maple, and Pecan....

• capncarl
      capncarl commented
      Editing a comment
      I knew pecan was a quite common tree in Texas, but didn’t know how available the wood was for woodworker’s. Within a 5 mile radius of my house there are thousands of pecan trees, they just pile up the limbs and burn them. Shipping would be high but I’d pack some up and send them if you needed it. Even with this much pecan here it is quite a daunting task to actually find pecan wood for sale unless it is in a large lumber outlet.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

looking for a fun project...
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...