• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Flip top tool stand project underway!

As you know I am working on optimizing my workshop, while minimizing the need for lifting and twisting as my back is aging badly and I want to keep going witht he craft for decades to come God willing.

So to keep my benchtop tools effectively on their benches, and maximize my floor space efficiency, I am moving off of the tool stacker and onto flip top tool stands. I took the needed measurements, double checked, and whipped up a quick design in Sketchup.

Now mind you I moitted something imortant here, and that is the blocks for the casters. I want to reinforce the mount points for them. Just small cutoffs of plywood is all...

Well I got started on the project today.

I cut the 2x4 pieces to length and the 2x6 corner braces as well. Just basic triangles...

I played with the idea of setting up the table saw to make the cuts for the half laps, and even considered hand cutting them, but in a fit of either stupidity or inspiration I went with the bandsaw. I need to follow up with a sharp chisel and a sander to get the glue line as best I can get it, and I WILL be trusting screws here...

Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?photoid=847663.jpg Views:	0 Size:	67.3 KB ID:	847665

I've got a lot more work to do, but I imagine I will have these side panel frames screwed and glued up tonight, and by tomorrow I should be moving forward with the rabbeting of the inside edges and squaring the rabbets up...

More to come, but if you recall my sharpening station / grinder stand, I will when it is all said and done, be finishing this in Rustoleum Hunter Green, mostly because I like the color...

Last edited by dbhost; 01-20-2022, 04:51 PM.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

No pic, but the side panels are in glue. Need to let the glue set. Freeze overnight so heater turned on...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

And a standstill. Mystery tote must be where I stuffed the box of 3" coated deck screws that I need for attaching the L braces. So a trip to Harbor Freight, and a trip to Home Depot is in order. Good thing they are close to each other.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

To quote Homer Simpson. D'Oh! Look up at the shelf where the fasteners are kept and realize I have taken the screws out of the falling apart box and put them in a smallish clear plastic container.

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

The "sandwich" panels for the base are sized up. I have opted to stay with the 18x24 mount panels and will just build a new flip top stand if / when I upgrade to the Wahuda 10" jointer. I may never go that way, and would rather have the floor space now.

The bolts are glued in place using a mix of sawdust and glue. , I picked the chunky bits for this and went ahead with it. My thinking is this will provide me more suface area for the glue to bond to. The whole idea is to keep the bolt heads from moving.

So once this cures, I will sand it smooth, and get on with the planer side mount board, and get the planer taken off, glued in bolt heads, get the PVC bushing for the 1/2" all thread sized up and installed. I need some epoxy to attach the PVC and fill the gap. Then assemble the "sandwhich".

Once the sandwich is cured up hit it with paint, and then get after sizing up the base plate and support braces for the casters/ Basically a 1.5" wide piece of 3/4" ply crosswise across the base to give additional side to side rigidity.

Once all that is installed, sides installed etc... hit it all with paint, then I can add the casters... and re-mount the jointer and planer.

Comment

• capncarl
            capncarl commented
            Editing a comment
            Rigidity shouldn’t be a problem with all of your shiplast joints! Lots of simular projects online use 1/2” plywood box cabinet building techniques and report no problems. Heck, you may even be able to run get under that flip flop stand when the Tornado horn blows!

• dbhost

dbhost
            commented
            Editing a comment
            Oddly enough, the garage workshop, the guest bathroom, and the laundry room are the only rooms without windows in the house... Go figure...

You are probably right, but better safe than sorry
        • dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

The flip top stand sandwich is in progress. Due to me using reclaimed materials I am having to use short cutoffs at the ends. The pivot is not 100% centered, but within 1/8", however the working time of Gorilla Glue wood glue is apparently considerably shorter than Titebond II.

I am going to trim it out using my router once set up.

Flip top stand sandwich

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

So I sanded down the PVC using hte belt sander to make quick work of it, and glued up the second half before trimming the excess from the middle. The bolts are glued in and I might just have to CAREFULLY trim the sides and ends with the pull saw...

So it's all in clamps, but the temp in the garage isn't where it should be for a good glue up. Turned the heater in there on...

Left to do?

Caster mounts / spreaders. Base plate, Trimming, Assembly of main section, paint, and then final assembly.

I am not 100% certain I am going to mask the bolts off for painting, I might, but probably not...

With the extended cure times due to the low temps, I probably won't have this 100% done until the weekend. VERY MUCH looking forward to having this completed. In the mean time, move the Rigid sander up to where the planer was and remove the lower shelf bracket supports. The 5" duct kind of needs to go through the space the jointer used to live in...

I could be wrong, but setting it up easier to pull out and use, might just encourage me to, well set it up and use it more often...

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Not going to piddle around with pics right now. But trimmed the sides, not going to bother with trimming the ends of the sandwich. I need to clear the sides but the ends are open after all. Ended up using the pull saw and freshly sharpened chisels to trim it up. Not perfect, but not bad...

Waiting for it to cure.

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

Got the funky hangout bits flush trimmed with the router. I wasn't super steady with the router though, The workpiece standing on 4 bolts and all... so there are spots where the edge waves / dips a bit, just don't care due to its function, As long as it works is my motto at this point...

Ready to slap paint on the first side. Will do shortly. Need to find paint splattered pants...

Also need to cut the base.

My intent for the day is to paint the one side of the flip mount board part, and the parts of the sides that aren't going to have glue touch them. Let that all dry, and prep the base including the braces for the casters. I may not go fully accross with the caster braces, but rather just make them, well, mount blocks. I don't need more support than the 3/4 ply wil provide, but I do want more bite area for the caster mounting screws as then are 1/4 x 1". I'd rather not poke through...
                Last edited by dbhost; 01-27-2022, 12:09 PM.

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
                  commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Okay you got me on that one. What, and I am almost afraid to ask. Is a rat nut? I do have machine thread inserts but again, those go deeper than 3/4". It's a matter of depth. And a matter of trying to utilize up stuff already in my shop that has been hogging up space. This is after all part and parcel of the cleanup efforts.
                  Last edited by dbhost; 01-27-2022, 02:26 PM.

• LCHIEN
                  LCHIEN commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Back up the caster with a piece of 3"x3" piece of 1/8" plywood glued to base. Then use T-nuts (with the spikes) and your 1" bolts.

• capncarl
                  capncarl commented
                  Editing a comment
                  T nuts…. That’s the proper name for rat nuts. I’m thinking they got their name by their use by earlier skate boarders,
              • dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

Aaaand the first / top coat of paint is on.

Fishing through my stocks, and I have found I don't have sufficient dowel stock, but I do have plenty of 5/16 x 2.5" carriage bolts. That'll do the trick!

I know not everyones cup of tea, but I am trying to use up stocks of bits and pieces.

The plywood is all cutoffs from prior projects, as is the 2x4 stock minus one stick that I had to get new.

The casters are half new, half old stock that has been living in my toolbox for the last 10 years waiting for a project. And honestly I SHOULD have had the non locking casters as well no clue where they went...

The paint is paint I bought for a prior project (grinder / sharpening station).

The glue, well we are NOT going to go into the glue as I am NOT happy with Gorilla Glue wood glue. I mean it works, but the working time is WAY too short, and it is much harder to spread than Titebond 2... I went through probably twice as much GG as I would have TB 2 for this one project so far... And I still have to assemble the bases / caster feet...

I DO plan on using this paint up, and getting color match done using some probably Glidden gloss latex instead of this oil based stuff for future projects.

Is it perfect? Nope. Did I intend it to be perfect? Nope. Am I on target? You betcha!

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Okay I went ahead with the stretchers anyway. Assembly is done, I need to finish paint and install the tools, but overall done.

My main issue with it is things did not end up lining up quite as square as they ought to be. But it IS usable which is all I care about. Hopefully that point has been made painfully clearly.

Comment

Working...