• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Choice of Wood Glue - Poll

Poll: What is you choice(s) of woodworking glue? One of the traditional PVA-type glues or Polyurethane or a Cyanoacrylate (CA or Superglue)? You can select more than one.

Post a reply:
    Why do you use the one you use the most?

How much do you buy at one time? 4 Oz, 8 oz, 16 Oz, 32 Oz, Gallon?

Where do you store them (temperature issues)?
    Titebond (Interior) PVA
    13.33%
    Titebond II (Interior/Exterior) PVA
    66.67%
    Titebond III (Internal/Exterior) PVA
    46.67%
    Elmer's Carpenters Wood Glue (interior) PVA
    0%
    Elmer's Carpenters Wood Glue Max (Interior/Exterior) PVA
    0%
    Gorilla Wood Glue PVA
    6.67%
    Gorilla Glue (Polyurethane) PU
    13.33%
    Cyanoacrylate Glue (Super Glue or CA glue) CA
    40.00%
    Epoxy 2-part
    20.00%
    Other Glue
    20.00%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-05-2022, 12:44 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • mpc
    • Feb 2005
    • Cypress, CA, USA.
    • BT3000 orig 13amp model

Is this a "which do you use MOST OFTEN?" poll - i.e. vote for just one... or is it a "select all that apply" poll? I voted "select all that apply" with three votes: Titebond II, Titebond III and "other" for Titebond's liquid hide glue. I have System Three T-88 epoxy in the shop as well. Titebond II and III are purchased in the 16oz bottles, hide glue in the smaller 8oz bottle, and T-88 in the 4oz bottles (half pint kit) I think.

Most commonly used: Titebond II, with Titebond III a close second... often it boils down to whichever bottle I grab first. Hide glue and T-88 are for special purposes.

mpc

Comment

• LCHIEN
      LCHIEN commented
      Editing a comment
      multiple choice votes allowed.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

I use mostly Titebond III. Easy cleanup, strong wood bond, Waterproof (important for outdoor furniture), good working time vs setup time, and reasonable shelf life.
    I currently have 16 Oz... I have bought larger but my woodworking ebbs up and down... Some days you can use a whole lot laminating boards. Try to keep my WW glues in the house and carry to the garage when I use it, so it won't be subjected to extreme temperatures (Texas: some winter days below freezing and many days in the summer over 99 even in the evening)

I like Gorilla Glue PU for some things but I can't keep a bottle. Even in the airconditioned house in a dark cabinet, the thing turned solid in the unopened bottle way too soon.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-05-2022, 03:05 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Titebond II for all the reasons Loring listed. Purchase amount depends on planned projects. I have bought it by the gallon in the past because Woodcraft had a sale and it was cheaper than the quart. I typically buy 16oz bottles.
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• duramen
        Forum Newbie
        • Jan 2022

These are the glues that I currently have on hand:
        • Wood Glues:
          • Titebond (I)
          • Titebond III.
          • Titebond Liquid Hide Glue.
        • Polyurethane: Gorilla Glue Original.
        • Epoxy:
          • "5 Minute Epoxy" (any brand) in the double syringe, for light use.
          • West Systems G/Flex 650 for regular woodworking projects.
        • CA:
          • Mercury Adhesives CA Thin and Medium for regular woodworking and woodturning projects.
          • GluBoost - Used as finish for small woodturning projects.
        • Silane-based: Gorilla Clear Glue

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

I haven't made any outdoor projects that needed gluing, and while I have tried TB3, I prefer TB2. TB3 seems too thick for my liking and TB2 has better shelf life for me. The only time I really prefer TB3 over TB2 is when I glue up walnut because TB3 is close in color.

I veneered a large office desk many years ago and while I have used DAP Weldwood resin for bent laminations and veneered projects, I just "stuck" with regular old Elmer's white school glue. I bought a gallon of it at HD. Worked well, easy to spread, pretty easy cleanup, and if I had a bubble, easy to iron down and stick.

Down here I haven't seen Titebond, and while I can get it through Amazon, I decided to buy local. I've tried two different brands here. It seems to be PVA. It's white. There're pictures of wood on the label. It's sold in gallons and it's probably 1/2 the price of TB. What more could you want? I've used it to laminate sheets of plywood to make desktops for my kids and benchtops for me. I've also glued teak boards edge to edge with it and they seem to be holding up fine. I may pack a gallon or two with me when I move back.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Why do you use Titebond II instead of III?

Click image for larger version

Name:	titebond.JPG
Views:	354
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	847179
            Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Bumping this up in the recent thread list

And, no one wants to say why they prefer Titebond II over III? Looks to be more popular here.

Someone said it's thinner

I note from the chart it has shorter working time.
              Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-10-2022, 07:34 PM.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• capncarl
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Leesburg Georgia USA
                • SawStop CTS

I use Titebond Ii because that was all that was available when I needed glue! My next purchase will be Titebond III. it’s longer open time will be a great aide when assembling my TinyTables. I had been pushing the open time limits with II.

Comment

• Jim Frye
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Maumee, OH, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Went to the local independent hardware store today to pickup a bottle of TBII. All they had on the shelf was a 4 oz. bottle. Lady said they had to order Elmers wood glue as their distributor can't get TB. Going to Lowes or Woodcraft tomorrow to see if they have any.
                  Jim Frye
                  The Nut in the Cellar.
                  ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Jim Frye
                    Went to the local independent hardware store today to pickup a bottle of TBII. All they had on the shelf was a 4 oz. bottle. Lady said they had to order Elmers wood glue as their distributor can't get TB. Going to Lowes or Woodcraft tomorrow to see if they have any.
                    And that my friends is how I ended up with a bottle of Gorrilla Glue wood glue in my shop. I thought it was just my local Home Depot and Lowes that couldn't get Titebond II....
                    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• duramen
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Jan 2022

Titebond Original ("Titebond I"), II, and III are all in stock in various sizes at the big box stores and local woodworking stores in my area. I prefer Titebond wood glues over Gorilla Wood Glue. Based on my experience, Gorilla Wood Glue takes longer to reach the tack point than the Titebond glues.

Comment

• Jim Frye
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Maumee, OH, USA.
                        • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Went to the nearest Lowes today. Dozens of TBII in 8 oz. Two gallon jugs and nothing else in any TB formulation. Wanted a 16 oz. and settled for two 8 oz.
                        Jim Frye
                        The Nut in the Cellar.
                        ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• dbhost
                          Slow and steady
                          • Apr 2008
                          • League City, Texas
                          • Ryobi BT3100

I guess the trucks just aren't reaching Galveston County with TB II... I REALLY want some...

FWIW, I have a 16oz bottle that is labelled TB III but is filled with TB II from the gallon that froze up and went bad last winter. Not a lot left, REALLY want TB instead of Gorilla. GG wood glue is, funky I guess for me.

It spreads easier yes, but it is, uh... slippery I guess is the word I am looking for. Clamping pressure tends to cause pieces to slide around. Open time is WAY too high for my uses.

Oh, and TB II is one of the compnents I need for the PMF formula for my camper build. (Poor man's fiberglass, google Foamie camper if you are unfamiliar with PMF).

Comment

• capncarl
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2007
                            • Leesburg Georgia USA
                            • SawStop CTS

Where did I see that you could add vinegar to Titebond II that is thickening up in the jug?

Comment

• LCHIEN
                              LCHIEN commented
                              Editing a comment
                              lots of internet articles about softening and dissolving Titebond with vinegar solutions but none about extending its viscosity.

• Lowell
                              Lowell commented
                              Editing a comment
                              As it happens, yesterday I came across an anecdote on the Family Handyman site about doing that with Elmer's wood glue, on a recommendation from Borden:

The text references Elmer's but the picture includes a bottle of Titebond III.

• LCHIEN
                              LCHIEN commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Titebond picture, that's funny!
                          Working...