• Show
Clear All
  • Woodboy
    Forum Newbie
    • Jul 2004
    • Lakewood, Colorado.
    • BT3100

Cutting Marine Ply Patterns

Building a stitch and glue kayak from plans which requires cutting a lot of 4 mm marine ply section pieces. I have a great Bosch jig saw which is not quite working as well as I would like, too hard to keep from minor wandering. Thought about a small electric skill saw, Makita, but you cannot see the actual blade where it contacts the wood - you have to trust the little mark at the leading edge, plus I have some mild curves to cut also. Actually, I am cutting 2 identical 4 mm each sections at once, plus a thin piece of Masonite on top, I hope to use as a future form. My actual size paper plans are glued to the Masonite.

Has anyone ever done really precise cutting with a Japanese thin kerf push saw for a job like this?

Any suggestions?
    "Life is tough, where a cup"
    Dennis Miller
  • Carlos
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Rip fence or long clamp-on guide? I use both with my 20v Dewalt circular for perfect cuts.

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

I’ve cut plywood sections for boat building projects using a band saw and following up with the stationary belt sander to finish the edges down to the line. Inside the panel cuts were made with a jig saw with a fine blade and finished with the oscillating drum sander. Most saws won’t cut as smooth as I want for the finished joint so I go the extra step and sand down to my patern line. Sanding doesn’t add any more ttime to the job than you have already fretted away looking for the perfect cut.
      capncarl

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

I wonder how Woodboys marine plywood Kayak turned out?

Comment

• Black walnut
          Administrator
          • Aug 2015
          • BT3K

Yeah, wonder how? Thanks Carlos, good catch!
          just another brick in the wall...

Boycott McAfee. They placed an unresponsive popup on my pc.

Comment

Working...