If you had the money, and had to replace your BT3x00...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Originally posted by dbhost
    I think for me the safety features of the SS are more than just a little compelling. The biggest thing keeping a SS out of my shop is the steep price tag on them. For the price of one SS 3HP PCS 52" fence I can have 2 Grizzly G0691s in my shop... Not saying the SS tech isn't worth extra money, but WOW that thing is EXPENSIVE...

Having said that, I wonder how long it will take me to jam $3,300.00 (roughly after taxes) in change into the piggy bank as it were...
    What's the loss of a finger or three worth...or will cost you in dollars or grief?

Comment

• chopnhack
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2006
      • Florida
      • Ryobi BT3100

In my fantasies I can regrow body parts at will

All kidding aside, even the sawstop can fail so as we learn our craft we need to research cuts we have never done before and use the vast resources at our fingertips to find safe ways of making those cuts. Whether that be jigs, sleds, using a different tool or even buying a SS, whatever gets the job done safely. I think we can use non SS saws safely just by planning ahead and using the appropriate safety devices.
      I have had three kickback incidents since owning my saw - roughly 7 years and all have occurred without the blade guard - trying to resaw lumber or thickness thin or tall parts. Had I been using a different tool or correct fences there would have been no incidents. Luckily no severe injuries, just a broken push block... and mind you the bt is powerful, the push block had a 2x4 handle that the saw cracked in half when it sent it flying.
      I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Irv Lee
        Forum Newbie
        • Dec 2011

Regrow body parts at will? see this
        Can humans regrow fingers? Fetuses can regrow almost anything that gets damaged while in the womb. But can adult humans can regrow fingers?

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Great post Irv! Thanks!
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

Chop,

I totally agree, and mind you, I am in no hurry to replace my BT. I will grab a full on cyclone and replumb the whole shop before I upgrade to a SS. And while I have not heard of it happening yet, I am sure the SawStop tech CAN fail, and it should not be relied upon, like air bags in a car. (I also wish those weren't mandatory either, my wife and most of my in laws are short, and air bags are dangerous for them...).

And you have a perfectly valid point, use the proper safety equipment you have, use the proper safe techniques, and keep your head about you and all is well. It's those momentary lapses in judgement we should all have a respectful fear about...
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• chopnhack
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2006
              • Florida
              • Ryobi BT3100

Absolutely. Since your researching a SS, do you have any idea if the actuation of the safety mechanism does any damage to the machine? I would think with the amount of inertia that the machine has to redirect, there must be some wear occurring somewhere.
              I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

A perfectly valid question, and one I don't have a good answer for. I know the brake cartridge and blade both get substantially deformed when the brake is used. I don't know about the rest of the saw. Might be a good question to direct to the SawStop people...

Any SS owners know the answer?

Comment

• big tim
                  • Mar 2006
                  • Scarborough, Toronto,Canada
                  • SawStop PCS

Originally posted by dbhost
                  A perfectly valid question, and one I don't have a good answer for. I know the brake cartridge and blade both get substantially deformed when the brake is used. I don't know about the rest of the saw. Might be a good question to direct to the SawStop people...

Any SS owners know the answer?
                  It is a valid question. However one would think that after having sold thousands of saws, any potential problem as a result of the brake cartridge firing would be ready knowledge by now. I don't know how significant this is but they claim that the arbor bearing on their saw is larger (62MM) than the bearing on any other make saw.

Tim
                  Sometimes my mind wanders. It's always come back though......sofar!

Comment

• cabinetman
                    • Jun 2006
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

If I had a BT, and were to replace it, I would consider a SS, but might go with another Unisaw. I've had a few, and like them. SWMBO might be making up my mind.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

I think if i remember correctly the brake mechanism in the SawStop is a honeycomb aluminum piece that's designed especially be fired into the rim and teeth of the blade and dissipate the rotational energy quickly by deforming the metal brake. So the brake absorbs the energy but gets destroyed (along with the blade - probably the carbide teeth are damaged beyond economical repair) in the process. The replacement parts after an "activation incident" include a new brake and a new firing cartridge. Plus a blade of course. Figure on an activation costing you $250 but if it saved a serious cut/finger amputation it probably saved you $10,000/50,000 or more in medical bills. plus possible disfigurement.

I've not seen it mentioned anywhere reports of false activations that have occurred.

Brake position vis a vis the blade

Unfired brake cartridge

Brake and blade after activation

Note the honeycomb of small holes allows blade penetration of the brake for to stop rotation. The two large holes near the brake pivot is probably there for shock absorption when the brake and blade grab, transferring energy to the brake and supported by the pivot. See how the hourglass-shaped hole nearest the pivot is completely collapsed. My guess is that any arbor damage is limited. Because the coupling to the arbor is with the nut and arbor washers which may slip under serious duress, and the belts which probably give way before the arbor washers slip, and finally the torque transferred to the arbor in an activation is no worse than locking up your blade on some pinch or knot that you would encounter in working.
                      Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-02-2012, 09:08 AM.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Cochese
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jun 2010

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                        I think if i remember correctly the brake mechanism in the SawStop is a honeycomb aluminum piece that's designed especially be fired into the rim and teeth of the blade and dissipate the rotational energy quickly by deforming the metal brake. So the brake absorbs the energy but gets destroyed (along with the blade - probably the carbide teeth are damaged beyond economical repair) in the process. The replacement parts after an "activation incident" include a new brake and a new firing cartridge. Plus a blade of course. Figure on an activation costing you $250 but if it saved a serious cut/finger amputation it probably saved you $10,000/50,000 or more in medical bills. plus possible disfigurement.

I've not seen it mentioned anywhere reports of false activations that have occurred.

Brake position vis a vis the blade

Unfired brake cartridge

Brake and blade after activation

Note the honeycomb of small holes allows blade penetration of the brake for to stop rotation. The two large holes near the brake pivot is probably there for shock absorption when the brake and blade grab, transferring energy to the brake and supported by the pivot. See how the hourglass-shaped hole nearest the pivot is completely collapsed. My guess is that any arbor damage is limited. Because the coupling to the arbor is with the nut and arbor washers which may slip under serious duress, and the belts which probably give way before the arbor washers slip, and finally the torque transferred to the arbor in an activation is no worse than locking up your blade on some pinch or knot that you would encounter in working.
                        Good work there. That's the best description and visual clues I've seen about the displacement of force. Calms my concerns a bit, but there still has to be some residual force being transferred to the rest of the saw. This design seems to minimize it fairly well. I'd be interested to see in twenty years of use how the structure is holding up.

I'd hold my nose while doing it, but I might get one one day.
                        I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• cabinetman
                          • Jun 2006
                          • So. Florida
                          • Delta

An activation fee (whatever it is) is definitely worth what it costs, especially if it saves you from injury. As for the cost of the saw, whatever the differential is IMO, justifies the benefits it provides. To disregard the possibilities of purchasing the saw because of it's founder doesn't make sense.

Comment

• tommitytomtom
                            Handtools only
                            • Oct 2012
                            • Wichita Falls, Tx
                            • Rockwell Unisaw and 2 Ryobi BT3000

I own a 31 year old Unisaw with 52" Beisemeyer fence. It's my go-to saw at home. I have 2 BT3x00 as well. One is a parts machine. The other BT is in my smaller shop at work. If that BT goes, I'll just take work home.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                              Internet Fact Checker
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Katy, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by CocheseUGA
                              Good work there. That's the best description and visual clues I've seen about the displacement of force. Calms my concerns a bit, but there still has to be some residual force being transferred to the rest of the saw. This design seems to minimize it fairly well. I'd be interested to see in twenty years of use how the structure is holding up.

I'd hold my nose while doing it, but I might get one one day.
                              Like I said, the force transferred to the arbor is probably no more than if you locked up the blade while cutting something that closed up around the blade.
                              Loring in Katy, TX USA
                              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Cochese
                                Veteran Member
                                • Jun 2010

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                                Like I said, the force transferred to the arbor is probably no more than if you locked up the blade while cutting something that closed up around the blade.
                                Perhaps. I do find it interesting that their website has no mention of durability studies.
                                I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

Working...