• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bill_306090
    Handtools only
    • Mar 2021

Greetings

Hello to the forum.
    First question How do ya get rid of spinters?
    That's how new I am.
  • Black walnut
    Administrator
    • Aug 2015
    • BT3K

Hi Bill and welcome! Which splinters are you asking about? The pesky ones in your hand or splintering of the work-piece after a cut or router operation.
    just another brick in the wall...

Boycott McAfee. They placed an unresponsive popup on my pc.

Comment

• Bill_306090
      Handtools only
      • Mar 2021

Pesky ones in my hand. I haven't actually got to splinter any work yet.

Comment

• Black walnut
        Administrator
        • Aug 2015
        • BT3K

Note the direction of the splinter, cover with a thin coat of wood glue. Allow to dry then peel off the wood glue in the direction to pull out the splinter. Otherwise a sharp knife or needle and tweezers.
        just another brick in the wall...

Boycott McAfee. They placed an unresponsive popup on my pc.

Comment

• twistsol
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
          • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I married a nurse which has come in handy more times than I can count.

If any of it is exposed, I've used duct tape to pull it out otherwise I get under the exposed portion with the tip of a a packing knife and use tweezers to pull it out.
          Chr's

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

the bad ones are the ones that stick you and you can pull out the big part, but the tip left little tiny slivers under the skin you can see as a dark spot but are a bit of the way away from the entry point.

If you wait they'll work their way out maybe with some pus but sometimes they hurt like the dickens.

In that case, I use a needle or a pair of really sharp tweezers sterilized with alcohol. Then you have to pick around the entry point and enlarge the channel so you can lift the end of the sliver with the point. I have some really sharp tweezers, with tweezers you can grab a hold of the end of the sliver and pull it out. A magnifying glass (one mounted to a stand because usually you have two hands involved) and one of those LED head lights you wear around your head to point helps a lot

I have this set of tweezers and man, its got some super sharp ones in the set, 6 very fine work tweezers for like $6. Great for electronics, too.
            https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yeah I hate splinters = occupational hazard.
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-19-2021, 04:46 PM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Bill_306090
              Handtools only
              • Mar 2021

Yes it broke off right at the 1st joint on my thumb. I picked at with a knife until it came out with a little bit of puss. Never thought to sterilize the knife. duh live and learn. I'll try the glue trick next time.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Bill_306090
                Yes it broke off right at the 1st joint on my thumb. I picked at with a knife until it came out with a little bit of puss. Never thought to sterilize the knife. duh live and learn. I'll try the glue trick next time.
                Yeah, sterilize... well I always think about it, seldom do it.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Slik Geek
                  • Dec 2006
                  • Lake County, Illinois
                  • Ryobi BT-3000

Wife got a wood splinter a few days ago. I heard her get it in another room. (I could tell by her expression of dissatisfaction and pain). A few moments later she appeared with tweezers and asked my help in removing it. There was barely anything exposed. It looked to be small in diameter and short in length, but I couldn't pull it out. I started thinking that it was actually a little flap of skin and the splinter was already out. I felt bad digging deeper.

She grabbed the tweezers from me and had me hold her finger and pinch it to aid the removal. A short time later she pulled out a small diameter but long splinter. It must have gone 2/3 of the way through her finger. I got light headed - it grossed me out so much. Never had a splinter bother me as much as that one.

Comment

• leehljp
                    Just me
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Tunica, MS
                    • BT3000/3100

Welcome Bill.

Splinters are a pain, but I have learned to live with them! I am not one those he-men who sew themselves up in the movies, but I have learned to cut the skin on my hands, or anywhere I can reach and still see - to get those splinters out - both wood and metal. I am often going into the house or into the hardware store bleeding and totally unaware of it. Mild form of neuropathy sure helps!
                    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Carlos
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

I was working with Wenge, and if you've ever used it, you know the ridiculously long and hard splinters it makes. I forget exactly how, but I had a splinter enter at the heel of my palm and exit by my wrist. I made up new four-letter words that day. I thought I got it all out, then a year later had irritation and swelling in the area. Then a piece of wenge starting coming out.

Comment

Working...