• Show
Clear All
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Completely lame project, but necessary

My paper shredder is 15 years old or so and a couple of years ago the plastic bin inside cracked. Since then, every time I pull it out, it seems that another small piece breaks off. It now has a crack all the way to the bottom

Broken Shredder bin

15 minutes in the shop with stuff from the scrap bin, glue, and a 23 gauge pinner and it's slightly less good as new.

Completely lame replacement bin.
    Chr's
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

$15-25 worth of plywood at todays prices. Would have been cheaper to buy a new shredder if you didn't have scrap.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-04-2024, 05:12 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• twistsol
      twistsol commented
      Editing a comment
      Contractually, I need to use a crosscut shredder for clients' financial data, and for my own sanity I need to shred 20-30 pages at a time. Shredders in that category start in the $600 range and I'd still end up with a plastic bin. I was disappointed that Fellowes doesn't supply parts for anything other than their large commercial shredders. Since this one doesn't need a room of its own, it isn't included in that category.
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Looks good! Better than the original plastic!
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Wow, the motors on your shredders last long enough for the bin plastic to break away? Impressive!
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

Must have a Dyson digital motor! ….. what is a digital motor?

Comment

• Jim Frye
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Maumee, OH, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Nice fix! We have a Fellows micro cross shredder with a plastic tub. I paid $80 for it at Target. I shred everything that comes in the mail. The tub has a stupid design "feature" with a smoked window in the side that is supposed to show when the tub is getting full. A smoked window in a black tub completely covered when in operation. Of course the window is completely opaque with the top on, covered in shred dust, and no interior light when the unit is in operation. The window could have been clear, but the designers went for stylish dark smoke. BTW, the shredded material composts incredibly fast.
          Last edited by Jim Frye; 02-04-2024, 10:36 PM.
          Jim Frye
          The Nut in the Cellar.
          ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Chr's, you really need to inset the shredder mechanism in your new desktop, then have a cabinet under that with a bin and bag that catches the confetti and you can bag and empty it as needed.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• daughterofgirl
              Forum Newbie
              • Feb 2021

I would first look for a trash can of the right size at Walmart and similar stores, I think it would be cheaper.
              And I would make a similar box in the case described by LCHIEN - if you are going to make a completely crafted structure.
              Last edited by daughterofgirl; 02-12-2024, 05:25 AM.

Comment

• capncarl
                capncarl commented
                Editing a comment
                Oh my, an air cleaner pleated filter with an internal wire expanded metal screen full of shredded paper shards would possibly be the end of that filter!
            • capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

I think incorporating the shredder into the new desk is a great idea! That gets one more thing off the floor, one less thing to accidentally kick over. While you are brainstorming it, make the shred catch container removable from the front or side of the desk with one side of it a pleated filter with a fan that runs when the shredder operates, IE, it’s own dust collection system.

Comment

• Dedpedal
                Established Member
                • Feb 2020
                • Palm Coast Florida
                • One BT3000 in use and one for parts. Plus a BT3100

Some of the most satisfying projects are the ones that keep you from spending a lot of money.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  LCHIEN commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The ones that are satisfying to me are the ones that solve a problem perfectly when you can't find something ready at a reasonable price, made to do that.
              • dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

Here's a thought. Connect the shredder to the dust collector...
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• twistsol
                  twistsol commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I've actually done that and found that the paper pieces don't separate out in the cyclone very well and about 1/4 of them end up in the filter. that was with a previous cyclone so maybe I'll try it again, but I'm not looking foward to cleaning out a pleated filter if it fails. My old one just had a felt bag.
              Working...