Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Little different picture frame

I made a picture frame (actually two) for a triple 4"x6" pictures
    Nothing suitable in the shop, so I just picked up a piece of red oak at Lowes.
    Decided to be a little different.
    No 45-degree mitered corners. Because of the three windows I thought it easier to butt joint four cross pieces to two verticals.
    That had the interesting consequence that you don't put in a rabbet for the pictures before you join the frame, but have to put the rabbet in after the frame is assembled. Then you get rounded corners. At first I was going to use my universal rabbeting bit with 8 bearings but then I realized the dia. of the main cutter was 1.375" which would leave a huge radius corner. I finally ordered a flush cut bit of 3/4" diameter and a 3/8" bearing (very small) to make 3/16" rabbets which was what I designed for but failed to look and see that I actually had a rabbet bit combo that fit, Anyway I had to use my trusty old HF corner chisel to square up the inside 3/8" radius corners.
    Another new thing I tried is using an edge beading bit. This I feel is an underrated bit with an interesting profile. It does require two passes on two sides of an edge - one with the workpiece flat and another with it on edge, but it gives a cool profile on vertical edges of things. A bit 3-D with depth because of the cut on two sides.
    In this case I did them both directions so you get a little square thingey where it crosses.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200229_235010_resized.jpg Views:	0 Size:	58.9 KB ID:	838803
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image_25306.jpg Views:	4 Size:	77.2 KB ID:	838805

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200301_012502_resized.jpg Views:	0 Size:	59.0 KB ID:	838804
    I'm thinking of routing a very small 45-degree chamfer on the inside of the three windows. to soften it a little. The resulting corners would be slightly rounded.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-01-2020, 04:14 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • Jim Frye
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Maumee, OH, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Very nicely done! If you do rout the chamfers, they should be easy to "square" up with paring chisel since all of the cuts would be with the grain.
    Jim Frye
    The Nut in the Cellar.
    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• LCHIEN
      LCHIEN commented
      Editing a comment
      good point about the corner cleanup being mostly with the grain.
  • BadeMillsap
    • Dec 2005
    • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
    • Grizzly G1023SL

Nicely executed! Unique look.
    "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
    Bade Millsap
    Bulverde, Texas
    => Bade's Personal Web Log
    => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• LCHIEN
      LCHIEN commented
      Editing a comment
      thank you!!
  • Black walnut
    Administrator
    • Aug 2015
    • BT3K

Looks good Loring. Funny how the corner detail looks better from afar, to me it looks more pointed. How are you going to finish it?
    just another brick in the wall...

Boycott McAfee. They placed an unresponsive popup on my pc.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      LCHIEN commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks. Wipe on tung oil compound
  • cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

They are really quite nice, and I love the corner detail.

Although I think the framing of the pictures is very excellent, I do agree with your thinking of adding a chamfer would be an enhancement and perhaps lessen the shadow that is cast on the pictures.

I greatly appreciate the details you have described in this project too.

Thanks for the post,

CWS
    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• LCHIEN
      LCHIEN commented
      Editing a comment
      thank you!!!
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

You did and excellent job with routing. It is not hard to knock one of those corner accents with a router, but you got all four perfect. And I like the looks of them too!

Edit: It is not hard to make those router cuts WITH the grain, but when it is cross grain, I run into trouble with small chunks taken out.
    Last edited by leehljp; 03-02-2020, 05:52 AM.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Just a little followup on the edge beading bit.

Here's a profile, actually two - one with the single pass and the second with two passes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	edge beading bit profile.JPG
Views:	258
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	838822
      One pass results in a half round bead, a second pass with the workpiece at 90 degrees gives another quarter round for a total of 270° bead.

I think they look great in vertical edges of projects. The diameter of the resulting bead is the usual specification. I used 1/4", I think.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Carlos
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

I made a weird one yesterday also. Oil is drying now, hoping to spray tonight and install the picture tomorrow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6160.jpeg
Views:	253
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	838828

Comment

Working...