X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mikepwagner
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2022

Miter fence end caps

I have sawn through my miter fence end caps frequently enough that I would like to replace one. I see lots of miter fences for sale, but not just end caps.

Does anyone know where I can find some?
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

You know.... this is a common enough issue. I know I saw someone that made up replacement rail ends for both the BT3000 and BT3100, I'm not advenurous enough yet, but I might just try to make my own. Mine are bobbed off as well... It just hasn't been important enough to worry about yet.

Just wondering, did you "Paint The Red Line" on your saw yet? The recess of the ribs immediately in line with your blade should be painted, or in the case of mine, sharpied with red sharpie or paint. That is a sure indicator of the danger path... And if you pay attention to that you might end up with your miter fence tips not unintentionally shortened....
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• mikepwagner
      mikepwagner commented
      Editing a comment
      I am klutzy enough that I usually notice the red line as it emerged front the back of the newly sawn end plug.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

I have the Rod Kirby miter fence end caps he willed me after his famous Australian BT3 passed on. (to someone else, not away).

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200103_094315sm.jpg Views:	0 Size:	122.7 KB ID:	849217

Easy to make your own as he did. He just added a couple of threaded holes to the fence..

Click image for larger version  Name:	P3090891.JPG Views:	0 Size:	110.3 KB ID:	849218

Originals are out of production now. 3D printing is a possible solution if they have to look like the originals. I always disliked the fact that the originals were a hair out of alignment with the face of the extrusion, which is why I like Rods so much.

You can see also that I painted the red line... marking the groove where anything on the miter fence is "in the line of fire".
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-14-2022, 09:12 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• nicer20
      nicer20 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello Loring - what is this new contraption in the second photo? Must be another of your ingenious idea.

• LCHIEN
      LCHIEN commented
      Editing a comment
      That's the bottom of the 45°Miter jig for my BT3. The slot is being cut for the bolt that clamps the jig to the SMT using the same slot as the knob on the Miter fence. Top view of slot pre-cut here: https://www.sawdustzone.org/filedata...953&type=small
      and post cut https://www.sawdustzone.org/filedata...014&type=small
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 05-13-2022, 09:49 AM.

• nicer20
      nicer20 commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh I see. So it is a workpiece held against the Kirby Fence. Thought it was another of your clever contraption. Thanks.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Here's a third suggestion for making some miter fence ends.
    The T-slots in the top of the fence, the bottom and the back side are all a hair over 1 inch wide and a hair over 1/8th in thick.
    You can pick up some 1" x 1/8" flat bar aluminum extrusion and cut about 2-3 inches pieces that will slip into the back T-slot or if you prefer the top or bottom.

Drill and thread a small set screw or even a machine screw into the bar to secure the bar to the fence. Leaving an inch or so extending out.
    You just then need to secure a block of wood, beveled if you want, to the space between the end of the fence and in front of the bar.
    I measured 1.9 something inches high and 1.5 something inches wide.
    You can even laminate some stuff together if you don't have any scraps that wide.
    This involve cutting no holes in your fence if you are squeamish about that.

this is not the miter fence but it shows how the flat bar fits into the rail system and is set with a set screw.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P8210406.JPG Views:	0 Size:	78.2 KB ID:	849220

Lowes has 1/8" x 1 " x 3 ft. aluminum bar:

Shop Hillman
    Hillman 1-in x 3-ft Interior/Exterior Mill Finished Aluminum Solid
    Item #27814Model #11292
    $7.75
    $7.75

Home Depot, too

Everbilt 1 in. x 48 in. Aluminum Flat Bar with 1/8 in. Thick

Internet #204274000

Model #801927

Store SKU #482552

Store SO SKU #1000240305

$10.98

And Amazon has 6 piece 14" long for $18.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ace hardware
    Boltmaster 0.125 in. T X 1 in. W X 4 ft. L Weldable Aluminum Flat Bar 1 pk
    Item #5117981| Mfr #11293
    $12.99
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-15-2022, 09:51 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• ehubbell
      Handtools only
      • May 2022

I designed and 3d printed some for my saw. If you know someone with a 3d printer, they should be able to make some for you. I posted my design on Printables - Not sure if I can post a link or not, so here goes: https://www.printables.com/model/203...iter-end-block

Anyone who has a 3d printer should know what to do based on that link. Each block takes about 2 hours to print and uses less than a dollar worth of PLA.

miter endblock
      It took a few iterations to get the sizing right, but I'm really happy with mine. So happy that I threw my old chipped ones out. Printed in safety orange. For safety. Plus a little cap to make up for the overhangs that would be a pain to 3d print.

~Ed

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
        commented
        Editing a comment
        If you've got the filament and patience, you might want to make a run of those and put them up on Ebay, Etsy, or wherever. They'd sell. The 3D printed SMT slides are selling...

• dbhost

dbhost
        commented
        Editing a comment
        You are a BAD influence. I happened to get a bonus at work and aside from other than paying some debt off, had some scratch to play. And Amazon had a lightning deal on a small basic 3D printer to learn on. I've been considering one since they first came out but the price is stupid high. They are down now into the realm of almost disposable so I will give it a shot. First things first, Safety orange end caps for the miter fence. Thought about doing the red ones but I love the look of the safety Orange. Next I have some custom component mounts for some home automation / security pieces that need to be made (Picked up some used Iris keypads missing the mounts and am tired of using Alien tape...)

Wish me luck!

• dbhost

dbhost
        commented
        Editing a comment
        printing in progress as I type, Your printer must be faster than my Aquila as it is supposed to take 3hrs 20 min...
    • ehubbell
      Handtools only
      • May 2022

I thought about selling them on ebay, but there's already someone doing it - https://www.ebay.com/itm/30442216718...oAAOSwQUNiRjYi - I have no desire to compete with $10 per shipment.

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

I mentioned on another post that our local public library has a technology dept? and will print items such as this for a nominal fee. It would be worth a visit to see if your local library offers the same.

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Folks, my cheap basic 3D printer should be here tomorrow. A Voxelab Aquila, as basic as they get but if the rumors are true, a good way to get my toes wet trying out 3D printing.

I will be printing out a set of miter fence ends for my BT3100 as a break in for the printer, and I will design and print some mounts for my home security system keypads as I bought them used and the mounts were missing.

I think I will also look for better color / more sedate color filament and desgn / print out some floral vases for my in laws mausoleum vault. The original one has failed in the elements and needs to be replaced...

Any other ideas what can be done within 220mm x 220mm x 250mm ?
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by ehubbell
            I designed and 3d printed some for my saw. If you know someone with a 3d printer, they should be able to make some for you. I posted my design on Printables - Not sure if I can post a link or not, so here goes: https://www.printables.com/model/203...iter-end-block

Anyone who has a 3d printer should know what to do based on that link. Each block takes about 2 hours to print and uses less than a dollar worth of PLA.

miter endblock
            It took a few iterations to get the sizing right, but I'm really happy with mine. So happy that I threw my old chipped ones out. Printed in safety orange. For safety. Plus a little cap to make up for the overhangs that would be a pain to 3d print.

~Ed
            For those seeking to 3D print this design, I have done mine without hte upper tab pieces as I still need to print those (the left and right specific pieces.

Simply put those pieces did not print out properly. Nor did my first block although it was salvageable. The iddue is too long of a span to be printed without supports. So heads up, IF you are going to print these out, do it with supports!

Attached Files

Comment

Working...