• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Black walnut
    Administrator
    • Aug 2015
    • BT3K

Kindness and Empathy

My day job is dispatching truck drivers for a small company that deals with ocean cargo container import and export. In a trucking career I have spent half the time driving and the other half in dispatch. I have this one employee that reminded me how important empathy and kindness is today. He has been dealing with end of life issues with his girlfriend. She was having some terminal issues, the nature of which I do not really know. I'm not the type that asks about such things. Anyway, today I needed him to do three regional runs, loading one container, then deliver two. On his second mission he seemed to be taking an extra long time. I called the third customer and between us we decided that he would have arrived too late.

When this driver got back to my yard after the second mission I told him that he didn't need to worry about the third mission since it was so late. To which he replied "good because girlfriend passed away!" At that moment I was reminded that we often make judgements about others without any idea what they are going through at the time. I can only imagine the emotional pain and sense of loss he is feeling now.

What a way to be reminded on Good Friday the importance of kindness and empathy.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-30-2024, 12:56 AM.
    just another brick in the wall...

Boycott McAfee. They placed an unresponsive popup on my pc.
  • Slik Geek
    • Dec 2006
    • Lake County, Illinois
    • Ryobi BT-3000

It's a good reminder you have given to withhold judgment and inquire first. We often don't know what people are dealing with.

Comment

• tibiaearnings
      Handtools only
      • May 2024

We cannot know what happens. So let's ask questions and pay more attention to each other.
      dinosaur game

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

I never saw this post until just now. As you know I lost my wife during COVID, and that spun me sideways so badly I am still not quite right, but getting there... I am NOT the same guy that I was when she was alive, in some ways I am more of an a--hole. I just don't put up with people taking others for granted any more. And I am loud about it. On the other hand, I am much more empathetic to the real life struggles those around me are enduring.

To that driver that lost his girlfriend, I know it is late but I offer my truest, and sincerest, been there, done that condolences. Your life has by now already massively changed. I hope you have the support you need to get yourself back together, and those around you realize this is going to take time, and a lot of it.
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...