• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Christmas coming. What are some Xmas gifts for Woodworkers around $20 or so

Christmas is coming soon. What are some around $20 gifts for the woodworker with a lot of stuff, but still likes gadgets and tools?

My first suggestion is a set of Gimlets

Ever have a picture frame to hang and two small screw eyes to install? Perfect!

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	1 Size:	689.3 KB ID:	855785
    They are useful for making pilot and starter holes when you just have one or two to make and don't want to have to get out a cordless drill and a drill bit and carry all that stuff. The auger tip pulls them in and the fluted bit clears the hole.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-17-2023, 06:17 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Number 2. A Power monitor.
    Easily check AC voltage, current and frequency of tools. Min and Max and real time power. Calculates kWh if you leave it plugged in for a while.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	201.0 KB ID:	855787
    Shop around for best price; seen from 20 to 40 bucks.!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	166
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	855813
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-17-2023, 06:26 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Center finders. Mark center of disks, dowels, rods, even finds mid points of ends of pieces of lumber. Cheap one is probably fine for disks up to 3"
      Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	89.9 KB ID:	855789Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	53.6 KB ID:	855790Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	73.8 KB ID:	855791
      Lots of choices on Amazon
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-17-2023, 06:30 PM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Digital rechargeable dial indicator 0-1"

Views:	170
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	855793
        Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• twistsol
          twistsol commented
          Editing a comment
          I like this. I have to pull the battery out of mine every time I'm done using it otherwise it will need a new battery next time I pull it out of the drawer. I have the same issue with all of my digital calipers.

• LCHIEN
          LCHIEN commented
          Editing a comment
          Unlike most of the dial indicators sold in the past this is a DIN (metric) not AGD (ANSI/ASME).
          The stem is 6 mm not 3/8" and the tip is M2.5 not 4-48UNF So be warned.
      • LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Set of 7 pcs Brad point drill bit set. Fractional 1/8" - 1/2". Don't get metric in the USA.
        These are so useful for drilling accurately placed hole; the brad point in the center can be placed so accurately in the crosshairs of where you want the hole, drill press or hand-held.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	258.5 KB ID:	855798
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-17-2023, 06:14 PM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Veritas Saddle square from Lee Valley.com
          This is so useful for marking wrap around lines accurately and quickly. I have both the regular and large... the regular is for working with 1-by material and the large is for working with 2-by materials I use the regular most. But you can use either in either circumstance pretty easily. About $20 each.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	198.5 KB ID:	855809
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-17-2023, 06:39 PM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

LED worklight/task light. Extra long for the router table.

I love these. I have one on my drill press, one on my bandsaw and one on my router table. Great when you get older and need a little eyesight help!

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	182.8 KB ID:	855811
            Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	194.8 KB ID:	855812​​
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-17-2023, 06:39 PM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Small Japanese pull saw, just handy to have around to make quick cuts.

Views:	171
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	855815
              Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• leehljp
                Just me
                • Dec 2002
                • Tunica, MS
                • BT3000/3100

I have a couple of the Ryoba pull saws (naturally ) the Veritas Saddle square, 3 or 4 center finding devices including the Taytools, and a set of Gimlets somewhere. I use all of them at one time or another throughout the year. I don't have the LED light but do have two Ryobi 18V lights (https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ON...660B/316630704) I use them for lots of lighting situations.

Excellent ideas. My most used measuring tool that initially was $20 about 20+ years ago: https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...liding-squares Now $52! I have two and use them in many situations.
                Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  LCHIEN commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah I was going to put the LV sliding square on the list but it's a bit over the price range I specified.
                  Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-20-2023, 11:06 PM.
              • crystalsweet
                Handtools only
                • Aug 2023

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                Christmas is coming soon. What are some around $20 gifts for the woodworker with a lot of stuff, but still likes gadgets and tools?

My first suggestion is a set of Gimlets

Ever have a picture frame to hang and two small screw eyes to install? Perfect!

Click image for larger version Name:	image.png Views:	1 Size:	689.3 KB ID:	855785
                They are useful for making pilot and starter holes when you just have one or two to make and don't want to have to get out a cordless drill and a drill bit and carry all that stuff. The auger tip pulls them in and the fluted bit clears the hole.
                I consider gifting a set of specialty drill bits. For example, brad point drill bits are excellent for precise drilling in wood, or self-centering drill bits are handy for accurate hole placement.

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

This is ultra cheap, and I never think to buy one for myself, but a spring loaded center punch. $3.99 @ Harbor Freight.

Views:	127
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	856084

For a couple dollars more you can get 5 12" bar clamps to assist with the wood clamp addiction.

Views:	111
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	856085

​I need to replace mine now that the last 15 plus years have had their way with it, but a spreader / glue bottle. $12.00 I use the snot out of mine and eventually the plastic cracked but only after a good long time. I honestly wish the dispenser head just screwed onto a Titebond bottle...

Views:	106
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	856086
                  Card scraper / burnisher set. This is cheaper than the set I have, no idea if it is any good.l have the Fulton set which runs for $30.00

Views:	106
Size:	210.3 KB
ID:	856087
                  Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• capncarl
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Leesburg Georgia USA
                    • SawStop CTS

For the past few years HD and Lowes have had 2 packs of 10” saw blades for +- $20. Who doesn’t need a couple of new blades.

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
                      commented
                      Editing a comment
                      What kind of saw blades could they be selling at 2 for $20.00?

• capncarl
                      capncarl commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I believe the were Avanti Pro, 60 tooth
                  • leehljp
                    Just me
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Tunica, MS
                    • BT3000/3100

AN item pictured below that I had never seen before until the Bit Height Adjustment thread came up. It sure looks interesting and is more than $20. It is in the lower $30 dollar range and looks very usable. I could use it for router height adjustment. See the second picture below with the 4 part picts, bottom left corner. It can even be used in the center section of the device on the flat side of the red part. I have to get me one of those!

It was described as a drill bit depth tool but has multiple uses beyond drill bit lengths.

Click image for larger version  Name:	41h28OhVCTL._MCnd_AC_.jpg Views:	0 Size:	27.5 KB ID:	856102

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2023-09-12 at 1.13.38 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	275.6 KB ID:	856103
                    Last edited by leehljp; 09-12-2023, 01:22 PM.
                    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
                      commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Going on my wish list. Bit / blade height setup is always such a pain in the tail... This could really help.
                  • dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Not woodworking per se, but VERY useful around the shop. Tire inflator with digital pressure gauge for topping off car tires, wheelbarrows, basketballs, whatever you need to have inflated to a specific pressure. $17.74 on Amazon right now.

Views:	127
Size:	208.4 KB
ID:	856107

Milton blow gun with safety tip and rubber nozzles. VERY useful for blowing out bowl turnings and other compressed air dusting tasks. And a bargain at $8.99. Priced around the range of the Walmart cheapies and a MUCH better unit.

Views:	101
Size:	244.4 KB
ID:	856108

Sanfu 25' reinforced Polyurethane air hose. I believe it was Loring that was complaining about his Hitachi hoses. Mine blew out so I tried the Sanfu as they were cheap. Haven't been able to kill it yet.

Views:	98
Size:	478.2 KB
ID:	856109

At $22.44 a little over budget, but 6" blast gate if your system goes that size. Mine stops at 5". My 5" blast gates are PowerTec and they are fine...

Views:	100
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	856110
                    ​​
                    For $14.39 a 3" flip stop, sooo useful for making accurate repeated cuts. I LOVE my setup with the miter saw with this...

Views:	100
Size:	280.4 KB
ID:	856111

WAY too many to list here under the $20.00 price point, but take your pick of any of the massive variety of squares...

Wen 6.1 inch digital caliper. Everything I have gotten from Wen so far has been spot on.

Views:	101
Size:	207.0 KB
ID:	856112

Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

If your woodworker doesn't have one, a set of standard fractional brad point drill bits are wonderful tools.

A seven piece set costs between 15 and 20 bucks, and has 1/8, 3/16, 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 7/16 and 1/2"

and has instead of standard bevel points a sharp center point for perfectly locating the drill center and spurs for cutting clean hole sides. A good way to improve the accuracy of wood drilling projects.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	65.1 KB ID:	856118
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	144.4 KB ID:	856117
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

Working...