Lost, Misplaced, Can't Find Another Tool...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jim Frye
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Maumee, OH, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Lost, Misplaced, Can't Find Another Tool...

As I posted the other day, it's time to cleanse the shop. One thing I will do is blow off all surfaces with compressed air while the ambient air filter runs on high and the shop vac runs with a clean filter. However, I can't find my stupid blow gun and I've literally gone through every box, drawer, cubby, wall peg, and anywhere else something that small could be in the shop and the garage. I actually don't think I've seen it since we moved here. So off to the HF store for a $5 blow gun and a quick release fitting. Who wants to bet that I'll find the original while cleaning the shop?
    Jim Frye
    The Nut in the Cellar.
    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Uh Huh! That is why I have at least two of everything. It sure would be nice to have a personality that organizes things. But even organized people have a tool or two with legs!

Hope you find it!
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

At least it's a $7 tool and not a $70 or $700 tool!
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

I haven't bought any of their Merlin stuff as of yet, but the Blow Gun With Safety Tip And Rubber Tip is the style of blow gun I typically end up with, lose, buy a new one, find and eventually end up with 10 of them...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Whats the diff HF Merlin $4.99 vs HF $3.99 Central Pneu?

Rubber tip is $1 more?

Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
            commented
            Editing a comment
            I prefer the rubber tip especially when doing automotive work. Protects finishes better...

• LCHIEN
            LCHIEN commented
            Editing a comment
            Ah!!! Got it.
        • twistsol
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
          • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

This thread reminded me that my Greenlee packing knife went missing from the shop about a month ago, but I never remember that when I'm at Menards or sitting at my computer. I just ordered a replacement on Amazon which ensures I'll find it in the next two days.
          Chr's

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Maybe we should put a case of 10mm sockets on our Christmas wish list.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
              commented
              Editing a comment
              Standard or deep well? I have about 3 extra 10mm deep well 3/8 drive sockets. They just sort of keep rolling out into the floor from heaven only knows where. I think my wife goes to Home Depot (Husky) and buys one and throws it in the garage when she wants me to clean up in there.

• LCHIEN
              LCHIEN commented
              Editing a comment
              Having extras is contrary to Murphy's laws.
              Tradition and Murphy has it that the most used socket is always missing. Esp. when you need it.
              For SAE sizes its usually 9/16" if you work in vintage cars, Or maybe 1/4" if you work on small stuff.
          • leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

Sockets for me: (4) 1/2", (2) 9/16" sockets. That will do me about 18 months!
            Hank Lee

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

If you want single sockets, I haven ever been in a pawn shop that doesn’t have bins and boxes full of every size imaginable socket. All you have to do is dit through and find what you need, usually a buck each.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                LCHIEN commented
                Editing a comment
                Same thing for replacing single missing wrenches, for maybe $2. Or to get a dedicated one for a tool that uses it.

Sometimes though, they are very "used". As in beat up and dirty.
                Last edited by LCHIEN; 05-12-2022, 01:57 AM.
            • leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by capncarl
              If you want single sockets, I haven ever been in a pawn shop that doesn’t have bins and boxes full of every size imaginable socket. All you have to do is dit through and find what you need, usually a buck each.
              That is a good idea. It has been a long time since I have been in a pawn shop, for a reason. I went into a couple probably about 10 years ago looking for a used tool and they wanted almost new prices and wouldn't bargain. I told them new was as cheap as their used tools. Since I experienced that in two different stores, I haven't been back.

it is about time to check them out again.
              Hank Lee

Comment

• capncarl
                capncarl commented
                Editing a comment
                You are correct, pawnshop prices are ridiculous on some items. One shop I frequent ever 4-5 months has lots of new in box Dewalt and Milwaukee battery tools…. A also saw this at the last car show-in February…. I mean lots, as in a semi trailer full,
                At the same car show a pawnshop had like 2 semi loads of their trade in tools on tables, still at above yard sale price. What impressed me was the old military trailer about the size of a pickup bed, completely full of $1 sockets. One reason I keep going to pawnshops is the Festool Domino 500, systainer full of Dominos and Festool c48 dust collectior, only used a few minutes, I snagged for less than 1k.
            • Jim Frye
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Maumee, OH, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Went to HF today and picked up the blow nozzle with the rubber tip and a 1/4" quick release fitting. Down in the shop, I assembled the two and coupled the nozzle to my coiled hose. This evening, while I putting things away in preparation for cleansing the shop, I came across an old butter tub with a bunch of air fittings in it. No blow nozzle, but there were a couple of 1/4" quick release fittings in it. Pretty sure the old blow nozzle will turn up too.
              Jim Frye
              The Nut in the Cellar.
              ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• durango dude
                • Mar 2011
                • a thousand or so feet above insanity
                • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

Unfortunately, LOML is a clutter queen. What this means is that I find my tools in the oddest dang places.

NOTHING has a standard place, so it gets put in a drawer here - or a storage bin there.

A couple of weeks ago, I got fed up.

I bought LOML her own tool box ----- all the essentials:

- screwdrivers
                - pliers
                - hex keys
                - tape measure
                - straight edge
                - knife/marker
                - ball pen hammer
                - flashlight

I'm really hoping this does the job - because I'm darn tired of tools growing legs.

Now if I could just figure out where she put my **** hearing aids.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

My wife's version of cleaning means it goes in the nearest drawer. Or sometimes into plastic grocery bags which then go in a nearby cabinet never to be seen again because it's opaque and ubiquitous.

To compound the problem she has no technical grasp at all of tools or hardware. So if I ask where's My insertgadgetnamehere, she just shrugs even if she hid it somewhere 5 minutes before. Honestly if it's not a screwdriver she has no idea of what it's called.
                  Last edited by LCHIEN; 06-09-2022, 05:39 PM.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• leehljp
                    Just me
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Tunica, MS
                    • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by durango dude
                    Unfortunately, LOML is a clutter queen. What this means is that I find my tools in the oddest dang places.

NOTHING has a standard place, so it gets put in a drawer here - or a storage bin there.

A couple of weeks ago, I got fed up.

I bought LOML her own tool box ----- all the essentials:

- screwdrivers
                    - pliers
                    - hex keys
                    - tape measure
                    - straight edge
                    - knife/marker
                    - ball pen hammer
                    - flashlight

I'm really hoping this does the job - because I'm darn tired of tools growing legs.

Now if I could just figure out where she put my **** hearing aids.

Uh, That didn't work for me, us, HER! Her tool box is now empty and I don't know where her tools are, except her hammer - on the bottom shelf in the pantry, beside one of my hammers that I let her keep. Kinda romantic!
                    Last edited by leehljp; 06-09-2022, 08:39 PM.
                    Hank Lee

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      LCHIEN commented
                      Editing a comment
                      What a romantic thought. Two hammers united in love forever, seeking thumbs...
                  Working...