I can't be the only one using salty language in the shop. Tread lightly please!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

I can't be the only one using salty language in the shop. Tread lightly please!

Not sure if I shared my misfortune with everyone here, but last month I kind of trashed my thumbnail when the bar I was using to stretch a spring for my attic ladder into place slipped and the spring came at me...

What followed was a chourus of salty language that had been edited for, well to eliminate the excessive saltiness as it were...

Well the garage / shop door was open, so as I was heading to the first aid kit and then out to the hose, the neighbor poked their head in and asked...

"What exactly is a son of a Beagle?"

I never realized I filtered my lanugage like that, or that it sounded that funny.

Now we've all heard the fast and loose use of coarse language, but I realized something in that monent.

Creative euphamism actually seems to have a greater impact than just streams of obscenity when applied carefully.

Well, after all, my Dad was a sailor, and my mom was a Sunday School teacher, so what would I expect?
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • Jim Frye
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Maumee, OH, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

From when we were teenagers and not allowed to use four letter words in public.

SABERFRAZT!
    Jim Frye
    The Nut in the Cellar.
    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• twistsol
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
      • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

While I’m certain no biscuit ever had a son, I seem to shout at him periodically.
      Chr's

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
        commented
        Editing a comment
        LOL... my wife literally yells. "Son of a Biscut Eater!" when she manages to find the leg of the bed at 3:00 in the morning...
    • dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Well whoever the mother flopper is that left my hammer over there has some explaining to do after it fell on my toe!
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

I’ve had 35 yrs working with industrial cussers, this includes iron workers, probably the worst cussers, painters, masons, electrician’s are Forum cussers, truck drivers are right up there with iron workers, 6 years working on a USMC base the language wasn’t as bad as industrial. The last 7 years I’ve been around farmers, and I’ve been impressed that their language has the lowest percentage of cussing of all ive been around. I hope I haven corrupted them but I’m sure I taught them some new words they haven’t used in a while.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Unfortunately I worked in the oilfield-related industries for 45 years. While I wasn't constantly in the field I was constantly around people who were. You have to use a few cusswords to be taken seriously. My wife doesn't like it when I switch to cussing.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• twistsol
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
            • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I worked for a mining company in Denver a few years ago and when I was doing training for them on the new system, I asked the open question, "What do you want to get out the training today?" One of the miners yelled out, "I want to learn how to swear like finance."

The corporate controller at the time couldn't complete a sentence without at least one f-bomb. She was also known for screaming at subordinates which occurred daily. It was a tough job because of the employee turnover.
            Chr's

Comment

• LCHIEN
              LCHIEN commented
              Editing a comment
              That's a good story.

• dbhost

dbhost
              commented
              Editing a comment
              Not naming names, but I can point to at least 3 companies in Aerospace that description could apply to...
          • leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

A lady that I work with on occasion used to work in the accounting department of an agricultural equipment office. One customer was always swearing in a loud voice when he came in for parts or to get something fixed. One day he came in, walked back to the shop, swearing as people greeted him. The lady, called him to come to the counter. He did and asked, what in blazed do you want? She said I have a present for you. He asked what? She gave him a roll of toilet paper. He looked at it and said WHY? She said, It is for your mouth!

He stopped swearing when he came in after that!

This next story was not a swear word uttered time, but I sure thought of every alternative word for swear. I was making a set of 4 table legs for a small counter top level table for the kitchen. The legs were three sided 90° x 90° x 45° And joined by 3/8" pegs. Putting them together by drilling holes, putting yellow glue in them and getting the pegs in before the glue set and the pegs swelled, was tedious, and then clamping the sides. One peg (next to the last one on one side) began to swell quickly and I pounded it hard wth a hammer and hit my thumb. I yelled ran into the house, fell on the floor writhing in pain, and suddenly it hit me that the glue was setting and the side had not been clamped. I would have to throw that leg away unless I got to it immediately and finished that side. WELL, I did. I lamented that I could not enjoy the pain and writhing on the floor. The leg had to come first!

After making the table, (in Japan in the early '90s) a friend loved it and wanted one also. I helped him build one too. People who visited him and then visited me would say, "Hey, you have a table just like Mike's." "Did he build it for you?"

I did let everyone know who built the first one!
            Last edited by leehljp; 04-21-2022, 12:15 PM.
            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

One of my most memorable….. in many ways, probably the longest string of cuss words I’ve ever heard in one shout. One of our large projects, we had 50 welders, helpers and pipe fitters working in our fab shop. The star of this story was a welder, I’ll call him Mike, who was about we large and rough looking as the old WWE wrestling association’s Man Mountain Mike! Needless to say he wasn’t anything to messing with, he wore a xxxx bib overalls that always showed an unsightly plumbers crack when he was bent over welding. During break time everyone gathered in the contractor break trailer, I usually joined in as one of the gang enjoying the endless tales or woe. When they left the trailer some of the workers would grab a popsicle out of the freezer and head back to work. It just so happened that as Mike was already bent over welding as one of the popsicle wielding contractors saw Mike in his famous pose! He snapped off half of the 2 sticked popsicle and dropped it down Mikes pants and said Mike I brought you a Popsicle! …. and started running really fast. Mike came up roaring and cussing a lot, really impressively the things he said he was going to do. I was surprised, nothing ever came of it, they were best buds who really got to laughing.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                LCHIEN commented
                Editing a comment
                Must have been educational... perhaps you learned some new words.
            • cwsmith
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2005
              • NY Southern Tier, USA.
              • BT3100-1

I have to admit that I'm somewhat prone to let go an occasional bomb, but that's usually only when I'm driving or in the shop.

When I was a boy, my Dad worked at a local service station, near the downton Binghamton area. It was the only service station close to the retail and business area and also several churchs; so they did a lot of business. Dad came home one night and told the story about one of the guys working there who cursed regularly, especially if he was confronted with a challenging mechanical event. My Dad repeated this story on occasion, so I am still familiar with it.

As the story goes, one of the local church Priest's came in with a flat tire. This particular mechanic, an older fellow as I recall, went out to remove the tire and the lug nuts were pretty much frozen in place. The more he tried to loosen the lug nuts, the more frustrated he got and he started cursing. The Priest heard him cursing and after a moments, said, "Now, now, my son, there is no need for such profanity, let me show you." At that point, he took the lug-wrench from mechanic, bent down and tried to remove the nuts himself. As he struggled more and more, he said, "I've never seen the like", repeating that several times as the stubborn nuts would not budge. At that point the mechanic reached down, took the lug wrench and said, "You might as well get out of the way Father, you're not doing any better than I am, only instead of swearing at it, you're lying about it, because you just spent at least ten-minutes watching me!

CWS
              Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Dedpedal
                Established Member
                • Feb 2020
                • Palm Coast Florida
                • One BT3000 in use and one for parts. Plus a BT3100

Wtf= what the fudge. Chocolate drippings is another go to unless I’m really torqued off then I cuss like my wife the sailor.

Comment

• Stattlich1
                  Forum Newbie
                  • May 2022

Son of a brick if I can't figure out what the frick 'n frack y'all are talking about.

Best string of cussin' I ever heard was an old farmer that missed a step backing out of his combine, slipped and fell all the way to the ground. I learned words that day I never knew, words that Webster doesn't even know!

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

What is funnier is I grew up what you might call multiculturally, or at least multilingually. I learned German at an early age, as well as Spanish, a bit of Yiddish, French, and believe it or not a touch of Vietnamese. This is what happens when family and friends discover the language nerd part of your personality. Sadly I learned mostly the bad words. My in laws (English and Spanish speakers) look at me funny when I swear in Yiddish.... (Gee I bet Mr. Markovitz had no idea Aarons friends were actually listening, and learning...).

I've even strung them together for the sole intent to confuse those around me... It is mean, but funny...

Comment

Working...