• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Are the horizontal slots necessary? Looks like the upper slots would weaken the knife.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by capncarl
      Are the horizontal slots necessary? Looks like the upper slots would weaken the knife.
      the slots are for the jackscrew fine blade height adjustment. Screws in the four vertical slots are mounting bolts, loosened to let the jack screws adjust the height, and after adjustment, to tighten and fix the blade in place once jacked to the adjusted position. The horizontal slots don't see any force more than the weight of the knife while doing the jacking. The mounting bolts take all the operating force while planing.
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-06-2022, 12:11 PM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by capncarl
        Yes, they are for the jack screws that adjust the knife height.
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Looking at reviews in our articles section Bill in Buena Park says he asked Sunhill way back then, and the said knives for the Craftsman 21788 work as well.

The difference between the "Official knives" for the 21788 and the ones I got, is the extra set of jack screw slots. IF I were to guess, the jack screws probably have enough throw to them to make either set work, but I will be winding in quite a ways to get the inner set of slots to work...

Looks like the 21788 knives are about 2 bucks cheaper...
          Last edited by dbhost; 03-06-2022, 07:40 PM.
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...