• Show
Clear All
  • pavensoon
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2022
    • Indiana
    • Ridged

what knives I should get to fit my Sunhill 6" jointer

Does anyone know what knives I should get to fit my Sunhill 6" jointer? ($99.00 way back when, and I'm entirely happy with it.)
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-20-2022, 12:57 PM. Reason: Edited by moderator to add topic other than "f"
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Is it the SM-150B? That was their little blue benchtop model.

I have that same jointer, but I bought several sets of spares when I bought it. And yes the jointer was stupid cheap back in the day...

It doesn't come up in a search, but check with www.mywoodcutters.com, I think they have a phone #. The jointer is made by Geetech, but I don't know the model. Maybe their support would be able to help you find them.

If they do, please let me know, I am on my last set...

I could be VERY wrong here, but I am considering buying the HSS blades for the lower end Delta and Craftsman floor models as the knives look more or less the same.

I did send an email to woodcutters.com, maybe I will get info before you do...
    Last edited by dbhost; 02-19-2022, 07:39 PM.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• cwsmith
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
      • BT3100-1

I just did a quick search on Google and found these:

These razor sharp knives are made from high-speed steel with 18% tungsten content. Please be sure to refer to your manufacturer's specifications to insure the correct size required.

No particular recommendations from me. I'm still on my original set of Ridgid jointer blades, guess that shows how little I use that tool.

CWS
      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
        commented
        Editing a comment
        The SM-150 was the floor model and considerably more expensive, even on clearance than the $99.00 which is why I suspect he has the bench top SM-150B. No clue if the knives are the same. I kind of doubt it.

Honestly if those did fit, I would totally grab a set of the carbide knives. I keep nicking the HSS knives in hardwood. MY current set leaves a slight proud surface if I an jointing close to the edge of the knife... Knots can do a number to a jointer knife...

• cwsmith
        cwsmith commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, he didn't mention the model number (which is always helpful), so I just looked for for "Sunhill jointer blades".
    • dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

pavensoon

You never responded but here goes.

#1. IF your Sunhill 6" jointer is the floor model SM150, then the knives listed above are a direct fit and known good knives.
      #2. IF your Sunhill 6" jointer is the bench top model SM150B like mine shown in the pic below. Then no, the 150B has mounting / adjustment screw holes in the knife itself. I have sent an inquiry off to mywoodcutters.com with photos, and critical dimensions hoping to get a recommendation of what knives to use for this machine. Because honestly if I can't get knives for it, I will need to retire the thing and get a new jointer... I'd rather not do that.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?photoid=847884.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	234.5 KB
ID:	848664

Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

I am still trying to find an answer on availability of the knives, however I am running into a LOT of dead ends. I am not giving up yet,

Back about 10 years ago, there were a mess of these jointers on the market labelled as Sunhill SM150B, Geetech 6" Benchtop Jointer, Woodtek 6" Benchtop Jointer etc... I think there were no fewer than 10 variants of the same exact jointer at one time, the only difference was the color of the plastic housing, and the sticker on it.

When talking with woodcutters.com they say they stopped selling the knives due to low demand. We might be S.O.L. unless somebody is willing to make and market at an affordable price small runs of these knives...

I am actually pretty dissapointed as this has been a pretty good little jointer especially for the money. I guess I should have bought more sets of spare knives when I bought the jointer...

If it comes down to it, I will have to just chuck my change in the piggy bank until I come up with enough to get the Wauhda 10" spiral cutterhead bench top jointer.

I know LOTS of folks complain about bench top models. The only factor I found limiting was the width, not the length. And in my garage workshop, space is at a premium.
        Last edited by dbhost; 02-24-2022, 10:07 AM.

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

I might have a line on a source for the knives... please stay tuned.

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

This is getting to be an excersize in frustration. It never occurred to me that the disposable knives for these jointers would at some point be this difficult to find a source for... I am still coming up empty.

This is kind of frustrating as this shouldn't be this big of a deal. There are the horizontal slots on the knives that I believe are used for indexing them to the cutter head if I recall swapping them before, I can find other knives in this size, but not with the same indexing slots.

Sadly these jointers were labelled and sold under a variety of brands and were at least somewhat popular, but it looks like it is long enough discontinued now that service parts are now a thing of the past...

I am not giving up yet mind you, just getting frustrated in my search.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Dave...

https://www.americannationalknife.co...4aAoAUEALw_wcB

https://www.infinitytools.com/high-speed-steel-jointer-planer-knives

Click image for larger version  Name:	sunhill knives.JPG Views:	0 Size:	163.8 KB ID:	848766

Name:	sunhill knives 2.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	848767
              Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-28-2022, 12:13 AM.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Those were probably for the Floor standing model

Was the Sunhill Benchtop a clone of the Delta JT160 benchtop? and had 2 knives with jackscrew adjustment holes in them? (unlike the floor model with a solid knife and three of them). I think there are a number of benchtop jointers using these knives
                Do these match? At one time I had that jointer.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Delta 6-in jointer  benchtop knives.JPG Views:	0 Size:	33.6 KB ID:	848769

Click image for larger version  Name:	Delta JT-160 Jointer.JPG Views:	0 Size:	57.8 KB ID:	848770
                Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-28-2022, 02:44 AM.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Please see the image of one of the last jointer knives. And no those jointer knives listed are for the floor model, not the bench top.

The knives are VERY similar to some Delta models but the horizontal slots are too close to the cutting edge compared to the Delta...

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Now that you posted a picture and description...
                    How about these at Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08M3SPTXP...d_asin_1_title

Click image for larger version  Name:	fox jointer knives.JPG Views:	0 Size:	14.0 KB ID:	848816

Dual set of Jackscrew points, one set looks like yours, 6" and the holes look evenly spaced.

or these
                    https://www.amazon.com/6-Inch-Jointe...7D6B9W1Y&psc=1

Click image for larger version  Name:	Wen 6560 jointer blades.JPG Views:	0 Size:	13.9 KB ID:	848817
                    Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-02-2022, 10:57 AM.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• dbhost
                      Slow and steady
                      • Apr 2008
                      • League City, Texas
                      • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                      Now that you posted a picture and description...
                      How about these at Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08M3SPTXP...d_asin_1_title

Click image for larger version Name:	fox jointer knives.JPG Views:	0 Size:	14.0 KB ID:	848816

Dual set of Jackscrew points, one set looks like yours, 6" and the holes look evenly spaced.

or these
                      https://www.amazon.com/6-Inch-Jointe...7D6B9W1Y&psc=1

Click image for larger version Name:	Wen 6560 jointer blades.JPG Views:	0 Size:	13.9 KB ID:	848817
                      Before I commit to replacing the jointer, I was planning on trying a set of those. That looks like the ones for the Wen knife type jointer, I believe the dimensions are right, 6-3/16" w x 7/8" h x 1/16" d. The big question is are the indexing slots in the right place?

I think the only way to find out for sure is buy a set, install, or at least try to install, rotate a couple of times to insure no interference, and then IF all that goes well, test...

I'm not super hopeful is all... I don't want ot be discouraged yet, but I am getting pretty close.

This old jointer is getting long in the tooth, the handles were replaced with shop made knobs years ago etc... but like a pair of well worn jeans, it has gotte comfortable...

Just FWIW, If I manage to pull off salvaging use of the Sunhill jointer, which I am hopeful for, or I go with a new / different jointer, I am going to redo flip top stand #1, and move the jointer to stand #2 opposite the sander. Just to minimuze setup time for related tasks. Flip both jointer and planer into place, THEN get to jointing and planing tasks, instead of stopping, to flip between jointer, and then planer...

The big debate there is do I use lag bolts or thread inserts with machine screws?
                      Last edited by dbhost; 03-02-2022, 11:20 AM.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Without ordering them, You can try printing those as close to lifesize as possible and laying them over your old blades to see it they proportionally match.

And it is from Amazon, they pretty much let you return stuff at no cost... I take my stuff back to the local Kohls where Amazon has a drop off booth. Get both sets.
                        And return any that doesn't fit.
                        No risk.
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
                          commented
                          Editing a comment
                          The Porter Cable ones more or less look like they will fit. Ordered a pair and waiting for delivery... I wish they listed the physical dimensions of the knives instead of the packaging.

Mind you, I am keenly aware a little cheap chinese benchtop jointer is far from ideal, but I have it, it fit my budget, and it has been working great for years. I had the foresight to buy several sets of spare knives when I bought the jointer new, and have been through all but the last set, I have gotten my value out of this machine, but despise the disposable nature of proprietary parts.

I am not against buying a new machine once this set of knives is worn out, but if I have a usable source for spares, I would rather keep using the old machine...
                          Last edited by dbhost; 03-04-2022, 10:15 AM.
                      • dbhost
                        Slow and steady
                        • Apr 2008
                        • League City, Texas
                        • Ryobi BT3100

pavensoon and anyone else interested in this.

I have not fitted them yet, but I ordered a pair of these...

FOXBC 6-Inch Jointer Knives Replacement for Porter Cable PC160JT PC37072 - Set of 2

Name:	41cgXmZp9NL._AC_.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	848866

kives

Comparing back to back, all dimensions, and critical holes line up perfectly.

Unfortunately I won't be camping this weekend due to a forgotten obligation but maybe later in the week. As long as I can get 4G since I work remote...

Anyway, while they have an extra hole in them, I am 99.99% certain these are what I need for this jointer. I will at some point shortly swap them in make sure they are set up right, no interference etc... and try them out.

If they work, my plan is to grab another 4 or 5 sets so I won't have to worry for a few more years...

Comment

• LCHIEN
                          Internet Fact Checker
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Katy, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 vintage 1999

The extra set of jackscrews slots is to make it fit a wider range of similar jointers. Not universal but multi models.
                          The Porter cable JT160 is the same as the Delta JT160 (PC bought Delta)
                          The middle horizontal holes are apparently for the delta/pc and others and the holes toward the cutter are for the Sunhill and others.
                          Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-06-2022, 05:04 PM.
                          Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

Working...