• Show
Clear All
  • oakchas
    Established Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Jefferson City, TN, USA
    • BT3000

Grammar... Rout vs. Route

So, do you rout a groove with your router... Or, do you route a groove.

I think I know the answer, but I'm rooting for you guys to give me your opinions!

And remember: when routing; always go the correct route, or you'll have less control and more skipping!
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

While I don't always use the right one, AND sometimes the spell/grammar checker changes it, ROUT is technically the correct one for groove.

However, rules are changing by the general acceptance of misspelling of words.

We had a discussion of this (the need for accuracy in spelling) a couple of weeks ago on the pen turning forum. It seems like those that can't spell or don't care, don't value the necessity of correct spelling (and among some highly educated people) - they seemed to be the most vocal. A strange thing happened the evening of that post: I went to an "Civilian Response to Active Shooting Event (CRASE) put on by HomeLand Security. One of the illustrations used concerned an event that many of you would remember some years ago. A man was having some metal problems and called 911 and asked for help as he said he wanted to kill people. Please help me. The 911 person misspelled the name by 2 letters and transposed the phone number. Police could not find him as they were looking for the wrong person. 2 days later he killed several people in a restaurant. 2 letters changed in a name and transposed phone numbers and several people died.

Spelling counts!
    Last edited by leehljp; 04-08-2019, 08:22 AM.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• tfischer
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2003
      • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
      • BT3100

Been noticing that trend too, Lee... people just don't care about grammar and spelling anymore, and when even politely and gently corrected, they get defensive and say "language is flexible and changing".

Sigh.

The ones I see all the time and absolutely trigger me is when people confuse "sell" and "sale". This seems like kindergarten-level basic, but still I keep seeing people say "I will sale you this item" or "I picked it up at a garage sell"

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

紙、髪、神、 . . . Japanese (language/grammar) has the same problem! All of those are pronounced "kami", and the meanings are: paper, hair, god respectively.
        Last edited by leehljp; 04-24-2019, 01:37 PM.
        Hank Lee

Comment

• Carlos
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

There, their, they're, it will be alright.

Comment

• twistsol
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
            • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Rout would be proper in this context,

According to the American Heritage Dictionary, Rout can also mean a decisive defeat which is sometimes how routing goes in my shop. Most recently, my edge guide adjustment wasn't fully tight and I ended up with very slight arc rather than the straight groove needed to fit a back into a cabinet side.
            Chr's

Comment

• oakchas
              Established Member
              • Dec 2002
              • BT3000

This here one is why I axe....

Comment

• oakchas
                Established Member
                • Dec 2002
                • BT3000

While I don't always use the right one, AND sometimes the spell/grammar checker changes it, ROUT is technically the correct one for groove.

However, rules are changing by the general acceptance of misspelling of words.

We had a discussion of this (the need for accuracy in spelling) a couple of weeks ago on the pen turning forum. It seems like those that can't spell or don't care, don't value the necessity of correct spelling (and among some highly educated people) - they seemed to be the most vocal. A strange thing happened the evening of that post: I went to "A" Civilian Response to Active Shooting Event (CRASE) put on by HomeLand Security. One of the illustrations used concerned an event that many of you would remember some years ago. A man was having some metal problems and called 911 and asked for help as he said he wanted to kill people. Please help me. The 911 person misspelled the name by 2 letters and transposed the phone number. Police could not find him as they were looking for the wrong person. 2 days later he killed several people in a restaurant. 2 letters changed in a name and transposed phone numbers and several people died.

Spelling counts!

Fixed it for you, Lee! Mwahahah!

Lovingly,

The grammar Nazi.

Comment

• capncarl
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Leesburg Georgia USA
                  • SawStop CTS

It’s not always my fault! This dang spell checker converts my perfect handling of the Southern English language into some other language. I seen it happen lots.

Comment

• leehljp
                    Just me
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Tunica, MS
                    • BT3000/3100

You got me!

I got a new computer last August and it has a 12 inch diagonal screen! The keyboard is listed as "full size" but the keys are very close together. I have had far more problems on this machine with the size such as: 1. the spell checker changing my words, 2. with extra letters being added in, and 3. letter deletions. I took typing 56 years ago and it has served me well, but these last 8 months on this smaller keyboard has been my worst. My hands have not shrunk. I love the light weight of this computer and it has a retina display, but the key spacing has messed me up!
                    A friend brought in his 15 inch notebook the other day and I asked him, when did you get a 17 inch? It looked that HUGE after being on this 12 inch, but my screen looked better than his. The decreased key spacing on this compact notebook - combined with the spell checker trying to second guess what I want - plays havoc with me.

ROUTER related: About a year before we left Japan, I had the end of my right thumb chewed up by a router that I was using. I went to the emergency room at the Toyota City Hospital. The doctor asked me how I did it and I said "I got it caught in the router and it cut the end of my thumb." He looked at me very puzzled like and asked me to repeat that. I did. Then he pulled out a book and looked at it, and still had a puzzled look on his face. Then he showed me a picture of a computer/internet router and asked me how that router cut my hand? It was difficult explaining to him what a "shop tool" router was!

I left out a major part to the above "router" story. Back in the late 70's I had about 3/8 of an inch cut off of my right thumb in a fork lift miscue. I have had a "short" thumb since then. So, when the doctor (mentioned above) first saw my bloody short thumb, he was shocked. My first reply to his shock was this: "OH, its OK Doctor, this is the second time I have cut it off!" My wife fell out laughing, and the doctor wondered what kind of a foreigner patient he had! THEN he asked HOW!

My wife laughed all the way home!
                    Last edited by leehljp; 04-08-2019, 01:40 PM.
                    Hank Lee

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Eats, Shoots & Leaves - sad state of punctuation.

The title of the book is a syntactic ambiguity—*a verbal fallacy arising from an ambiguous grammatical construction—*and derived from a joke about bad punctuation:
                      A panda walks into a café. He orders a sandwich, eats it, then draws a gun and proceeds to fire it at the other patrons.

"Why?" asks the confused, surviving waiter amidst the carnage, as the panda makes towards the exit. The panda produces a badly punctuated wildlife manual and tosses it over his shoulder.

"Well, I'm a panda," he says. "Look it up."

The waiter turns to the relevant entry in the manual and, sure enough, finds an explanation. "Panda. Large black-and-white bear-like mammal, native to China. Eats, shoots and leaves."
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• leehljp
                        Just me
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Tunica, MS
                        • BT3000/3100

Eats, Shoots & Leaves - sad state of punctuation.
                        I think I posted this on the Pen forum, but IF it is was here, I apologize.

When I was in the 7th and 8th grade, I had an English teacher that taught us grammar through diagramming. Diagramming was like building bridges to me and I took to it like a duck to water. Commas made a bid difference in many aspects. (And I have forgotten it through the years.) When I was in the 11th grade, our HS English teacher gave us a grammar test. I missed one on my paper. I looked at it, got the attention of the teacher and told her that I did not miss it. I told her she was mistaken. It was an issue with a comma. So I quickly diagrammed the sentence for her. She was amazed. Then she asked the class: "How many of you got that sentence Correct?" About 3/4 of the class had it correct as the teacher thought. Then, she said, "For all of you that got it correct, send the papers back to me. Thanks to Hank, you just missed it!"
                        Last edited by leehljp; 04-10-2019, 07:11 AM.
                        Hank Lee

Comment

• LCHIEN
                          LCHIEN commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Way to make friends, Hank!
                      • woodturner
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jun 2008
                        • Western Pennsylvania
                        • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by leehljp
                        紙、髪、神、 . . . Japanese has the same problem! All of those are pronounced "kami", and the meanings are: paper, hair, god respectively.
                        Hmm, might grant some insight into the stereotypical images and video we see of Japanese cultural trends :-0
                        --------------------------------------------------
                        Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• cwsmith
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2005
                          • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                          • BT3100-1

I have always loved to write, starting in grade school, and I used to get some pretty good grades and recognition for having at least some minor talent for it. A couple of early jobs required writing of reports and in my late 20's I started a profession as a technical illustrator; but as with much of my career I got sucked into filling voids and one of them was writing. At first it was writing parts catalogs and later writing instruction manuals. For the first ten or so years, I would write (actually print) on a yellow pad and it was the secretary or clerk typist who would question and/or correct any poor word choices or misspellings. When she was done, I'd get it back and then send it off to a handful of engineers who'd look at it for technical accuracy and finally from there it would go to the typesetters and their editors. In the late 70's I started using a typewriter and in 1982 a computer, but always there would be engineering to ensure things were technically correct. But with all of that, we'd slice open the first box of a newly printed manual and within the course of a few minutes, an error would be found! It was to say the least, infuriating. One of the comebacks that I'd often get (even more infuriating) was, "Don't worry, nobody reads this crap anyway!"

But really, writing something accurately with as little error as possible IS important and basically I do very little 'first-off' writing, but an awful lot of re-writing. (By that, I mean that I write something, read it through, and rewrite it... often two or three times.) Even here on a forum, I try to come back a few hours later, read what I wrote and make corrections. Challenges for me, are not reading through the first writing before I click "Post Reply".... most always being in a big hurry to finish and be somewhere else. I have a rather numb left hand, and too often drop letters that I thought I hit on the keyboard, but obviously didn't, and of course there are those 'brain disengaged from my hand' moments when a 'their' becomes 'there", etc. Idiot moments which are at the very least embarrassing to myself.

Automatic word corrections by the computer are another problem and I can't begin to tell you how many times that occurs. While that doesn't happen all that often on the computer, it drives me nuts on the Fire tablet, which I have a tendency to use in the late evening. I'll write a product review on a product I recently purchased, or answer a question, and on review find that several words have been changed to meaningless garbage in the context of the subject. If I could find a way, I'd be only too happy to remove that feature!

The bottom line for me, especially on a forum, is that the objective is to communicate the thought. While I try to do so accurately, with no misspelling, and with the proper choice of words, I realize that I make mistakes. Likewise, other members may have similar challenges. I remember a fellow a few years ago making his first post to another forum. He was very apologetic in his introduction,stating his poor writing skills. I replied that I understood everything he wrote, and that was the most important thing.

While I think we have to strive to be better at using our language and writing skills, I think it is important to understand that the objective is to communicate; do it with as much skill as possible, and always try to improve and not be lazy about it; but whatever you do, don't stop or stay away because someone might find fault with your spelling or grammar. Such things might make me smile, but they don't bother me... I know what you meant (I think anyway ).

The writing that does bother me is those people in my local News and elsewhere, who obviously don't have editors, or the ability to write articles clearly, often leading me to re-read the sentence or paragraph a couple of times in an effort to understand what they were trying to say. They're getting paid for their writing and I'm paying to read it... so authors, please help me out!

CWS
                          Last edited by cwsmith; 04-13-2019, 06:23 PM.
                          Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• capncarl
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2007
                            • Leesburg Georgia USA
                            • SawStop CTS

On a side note concerning spell checking. In he mid to late 80s my job had changed from mechanic/machinist duties to planning jobs on work orders using early model desktop computers. Later these jobs were called specification writers. There were always many paragraphs to be written on different reports and job specifications. I was leaps and bounds ahead of the other 3 guys in my department doing the same jobs because I had studied computer programming and had purchased every consumer computer that had come out. I do not think anyone here had ever heard of spell checker....... except me. Spell checker didn’t actually do much correcting, you created a list of worlds that when typed in would complete the word, sentence or phrase. Boy did I ever have a good time with that! I set up my counterparts computers where when the typed in their name it would put in.... His Magesty the royal king of..... or any other nonsense, like when they type in the word the it would put in thu... and on and on the list went. After they were completely confounded with their computer problems and went to break or lunch I would simply turn the feature off. Great fun!

My my biggest gripe now, along with spell checker is the small on screen keyboard on my iPad. While typing, if I touch the numbers key spot the keyboard changes to the numbers keys and right where the numbers key WAS is the dang undo key. If your finger touches that key lord knows how far back you have already typed is going to disappear. I type without looking at the keyboard, so I’ don’t realize what has happened and sometimes I’ve hit the undo button several times before I realize half of my work is gone! I hate that undo button, it doesn’t need to be there and I would really like to put it somewhere else that shouldn’t be discussed on this forum!
                            capncarl
                            Last edited by capncarl; 04-13-2019, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Working...