• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

What did you get for Christmas?

CHRISTMAS GIFTS : Two related to woodworking/shop: my wife gave me a Grizzly hand held oscillating drum sander. Been wanting one of those back when Porter Cable introduced them about 20+ years ago.
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/Griz...-Sander/T27961
    It helped that one of our daughters lives only a few minutes from the Springfield MO Grizzly store.

As a stocking stuffer, LOML bought one of those wireless remote light/electrical switches from HF.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/indoor...-pc-62575.html
    (She said she even used a 20% off coupon. I asked here where my other $4.00 were since she saved that much with the coupon. I got a dirty look ) I recently installed a set of 5 four ft long "chain LED light units" on one side of my shop that just had a couple of incandescent light bulbs. I had to go over the the wall plug-in and turn that chain of lights on. This morning, shortly after opening presents, I went out and installed this wireless remote switch - and now I can turn everything on from the one spot by the door!

Sometimes, simple inexpensive things are the best value.

Any of you get any woodworking related tools for Christmas?
    (I am getting another woodworking tool for my birthday in a couple of weeks. )
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

No woodworking tools, as about the only woodworking I've done in the last couple of years is to repair something around the house. I've still got this "new" shed sitting in the back yard waiting for a good slot of time so I can direct a couple of weeks to it. (In "retirement" there just doesn't appear to be as much free time as there was when I actually had a job!)

However, my Christmas present this day was a terrific Canon 100mm macro lens, way beyond anything that I could have ever hoped for.

CWS
    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• twistsol
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
      • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Christmas for us is next weekend. The kids are all with their inlaws this year. My now favorite niece who works at a local micro brewery gave the all uncles a lovely beverage gift. Knowing I'm not a fan of beer, she dropped off a fine bottle of Balvenie Doublewood Scotch for me.
      Chr's

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

Click image for larger version

Name:	C2F00B14-D326-481A-8FB2-2DA36DE64FB7.jpeg
Views:	154
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	835508Our presents to adults are usually something we make or something unique. The younger kids get the usual game boy type mind clutter. My son gave me a container of aftermarket dominos. I didn’t know anyone made them. Price was lower than domino brand and piece count was higher. I haven’t bothered to see what else they have for domino.

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

Another Festool domino present. My son 3d printed a handful of domino keyhole inserts. I’m not sure how i will use them but they are cool.

Name:	EBC19793-5A98-4269-B27C-A8560E8F4B64.jpeg
Views:	176
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	835510

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

Another cool present. A handmade sign for my shop. My oldest son cut the oak planks from a downed tree in his yard, hand burned letters and artwork. This was from a photo we saw in the Caribbean earlier this year, my wife sent him the photo under unbeknownst to me.

Name:	AB0A86CF-A6AB-41F5-9E46-72C9ABF5BBCD.jpeg
Views:	142
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	835512

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

Another cool Christmas present. Handmade hurricane sign for my shop.

Name:	556DDEFC-CA74-40B1-AD4D-D9805D9704A8.jpeg
Views:	132
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	835514

Comment

• capncarl
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Leesburg Georgia USA
                • SawStop CTS

Name:	76DD8D7A-1911-47D8-9D4E-FE2F78EDE37C.jpeg
Views:	161
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	835516Another cool Christmas presen from our son. He is enjoying his 3D printer. Everyone got printed presents, fishermen of the family received some really professional looking fishing lures, everyone received 3d printed exacto knives and lots more drawer clutter. My wife’s special present is a 4 sided lithopane of his design. He had requested photos from our cruise, and printed 8 curved lithopane panels for us to swap out. He ran out of time building it so I get to apply stain/finish and install a turntable. Special!

Comment

• Carlos
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

I'm not sure if it was "for christmas" but it was last week. I picked this up, after we spent the last year and a half looking at different trailers we can tow with the Jeep. We will be able to work-travel very soon (work from anywhere with internet). Wife was very happily surprised when I just showed up with it. Got an insane deal on it.

Name:	trailer.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	249.9 KB
ID:	835519

Comment

• billwmeyer
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2003
                    • Weir, Ks, USA.
                    • BT3000

My tool gift was a Ryobi 18 volt palm router. Since my stroke I have limited use of my left hand and arm. Hopefully, I can use this one. I'm getting more use all the time and the shop is great therapy!
                    "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• leehljp
                      Just me
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Tunica, MS
                      • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by billwmeyer
                      My tool gift was a Ryobi 18 volt palm router. Since my stroke I have limited use of my left hand and arm. Hopefully, I can use this one. I'm getting more use all the time and the shop is great therapy!
                      When you get to use it, let us know how well it works.
                      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• billwmeyer
                        billwmeyer commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I'll do that! Hmm, now for a project.
                    • Slik Geek
                      • Dec 2006
                      • Lake County, Illinois
                      • Ryobi BT-3000

The wife and I agreed to go very light on gifts for each other. That means we only gave each other one gift other than low-cost "stocking stuffers". She bought me Jaybird Bluetooth wireless sport headphones. They come with foam isolation tips that provide sound isolation. She said the Wood Whisperer reviewed them favorably. She got them so I can wear them in the shop instead of ear muffs, with the added benefit of being able to listen to music or whatever. I haven't had a chance to try them out in the shop yet, but have listened to them and they sounded good.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

No woodworking stuff, I really have more than I use. Neither sought nor received any.

My *real* treat was my son and daughter and their families in town with three grandsons, some staying at our house.

I did get some clothes, a promise for a Rockets NBA game, some restaurant gift cards, and copy of 41, G W Bush's Biography of G HW Bush.
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA
                        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• tfischer
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 2003
                          • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                          • BT3100

Some cheap contour sanding grips, and a Grrripper expansion (the large stability plate, etc)

Comment

• Turaj
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
                            • BT3000 (1998)

Not exactly a Christmas gift (especially since I paid for it myself) but I got a new laptop/tablet (Lenovo Yoga 720). First time I am buying other than Dell! So far so good!
                            Turaj (in Toronto)
                            "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman

Comment

Working...