X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mater
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • SC, USA.

I think Loring has some good ideas on this along with some of the others. Its like buying a good tool " you cry once " We need to think about these ideas.
    Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• Black wallnut
      cycling to health
      • Jan 2003
      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
      • BT3k 1999

quote:Originally posted by tropicaffair

By the way, where to I go to renew my Patron contribution for 2005? Can't seem to find it.
      Just click on the "support" link in the menu bar at the top of the page.
      Sam, I think we should take the Host up on the 6 months of backup service. After which I think something different may be a better choice.

Considering the willingness of Patrons pledged offers for whatever is needed I'd say maybe BT3Central should buy it's own computer with enough memory to do backup the site offsite from the host. Along with the needed software to automate it.

I also think that if we do this option then maybe a Moderator could step forward and host the sites backup computer at their home to take the pressure from Sam.

As far as the importance of pictures........ the loss of the data was terrible and will take many members considerable time to fix, especially those of us with huge post counts. This is one of the reasons I choose to get my own domain. On other forums there are many archived topics without working picture links. In so many of our posts the picture is truely worth a thousand words and without them the topic becomes difficult to follow.

Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Jeff
        • Jan 2003
        • Beaumont, CA, USA.
        • BT6000

When I first read Sam's post topic, I got worried too. Didn't want anything bad to happen to this place.

As to the issue of tape backups, I think I'd use it as a last resort. Tapes, although they last a relatively long time and work well, have issues. Having been in the tape backup biz (and tape backup repair biz and RAID biz and rsync biz and so on), I have seen many tapes not be able to be read because the tape drive was replaced. If the tape drive is not the original, often the tapes made on the original drive won't be read.

I'd go with a second internal drive for daily auto backups, with a weekly or monthly offsite backup to another device (home, friend, other BT3C member willing to donate space, etc).

Raid is great for speed and hardware failure problems, but not so great for corruption or things like that (corruption can be written to RAIDs too.) Separate drive on separate controller works fine for pure backups, maybe integrate Loring's suggestions as to software or find other equivalents.

$80/month for a guy to occasionally swap tapes is high, I think. Especially since they MAY (not knowing) have automated tape arrays like most big companies.

I'll support whatever decision Sam makes too. And donate some rsync/ftp and offsite space if needed.
        Jeff in Beaumont, the OLD T-Nuts guy

Chromosomes: Monkeys, 44. Humans, 46. Sweet potato, 48. Przewalski's Horse, 66. Forest fern, 144.
        Evolution? Yeah right.

Comment

• ironhat
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2004
          • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
          • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Well, Sam, I'm not bright enough on such matters to even qualify as ignorant so there goes any comment on that matter. On the other hand, Although I don't frequent here much I think a great deal of the group and your efforts so I'm kicking in a little toward the cause.
          Later,
          Chiz
          Blessings,
          Chiz

Comment

• Sam Conder
            Woodworker Once More
            • Dec 2002
            • Midway, KY
            • Delta 36-725T2

Members,

After reading all of the responses, it is my perception that as a collective, we share some common thoughts:
            • Their "offer" was nothing more than a way to get us to spend more money with them.
            • $80 per month is WAY TOO HIGH for tape backup service.
            • Tape backups, especially remote ones, are not reliable enough to suit me.
            • A local backup to one or more members' home computers is sufficient

I do not feel comfortable going with a secondary hard drive local to the server for backups because the host has proven that they are not careful with secondary hard drives. RAID and all that is not an option, I don't have physical access to the server to install the controller and the host does not off it as an option.

Here is my proposed plan:
            • I propose that we counter offer for 4 months of free hosting service
            • For only an additional expense of $20 per month, I can upgrade to 3mb DSL service at my house. I propose that the forum funds cover this expense.
            • Additionally, I have found a few different remote backup softwares that have a built in scheduler that I am currently evaluating. The most expensive one is $129. I propose that the forum funds pay for the software.
            • I have had an offer from a forum member to do remote backups on their server. I propose we buy a second copy of the backup software for that user if they so choose. This way we have a "backup to our backup".

I will move on this proposal Tuesday March 1st, 2005 unless you all have a reason why we shouldn't...

Sam Conder
            BT3Central's First Member

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

• Lefty
              • Sep 2003
              • Sioux Falls, SD, USA.

Sounds good to me.

Move on that!
              Eric

-Supplier of quality sawdust to southeast South Dakota!

Comment

• jcjrsmith
                Established Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Mechanicsburg, PA, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3000

Sam,

That sounds like a terrific solution.
                Jerry in PA
                ...Can't sleep, clown will eat me...
                http://home.comcast.net/~jcjrsmith2

Comment

• bmyers
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 2003
                  • Fishkill, NY
                  • bt 3100

Sounds like a winner! Are you going to backup to disk or tape or some kind of optical media?

With a big enough pipe going to your crib, you might start to think about hosting the site yourself. A few years worth of hosting fees might add up to a nice little web/data server for yourself.

Any chance for a live "Conder Cam" in the shop?

Bill
                  "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

• dave40261
                    Established Member
                    • Feb 2003
                    • Springfield, MO, USA.

Perfect solution! And I too will pony up a bit more $$ to see you through.
                    After careful scrutiny of the quality of fellow members signature line comments, I have determined that it would be in my best interest to abstain from further attempts at wit.

Comment

• Sam Conder
                      Woodworker Once More
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Midway, KY
                      • Delta 36-725T2

quote:Originally posted by bmyers

Sounds like a winner! Are you going to backup to disk or tape or some kind of optical media?

With a big enough pipe going to your crib, you might start to think about hosting the site yourself. A few years worth of hosting fees might add up to a nice little web/data server for yourself.

Any chance for a live "Conder Cam" in the shop?

Bill
                      There isn't a residential pipe big enough! The traffic load of the site now after the image hosting option is more than a residential plan will allow. The DSL is a nice fat 3mb DOWN, but is limited to only 384k UP.
                      Sam Conder
                      BT3Central's First Member

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

• bmyers
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jun 2003
                        • Fishkill, NY
                        • bt 3100

Okay, well, I really don't know any of the numbers as far as your storage, bandwidth, etc so I'm just kicking stuff around here. If you look at the business packages they are usually symmetrical (same up speed as down speed) or at least with a bunch more "up".. It's because you are looking at "home" DSL packages that the upload speed is not fast.

But hey, how 'bout that Conder Cam? You could be just like Norm!

Bill
                        "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

• Pop Paw
                          Established Member
                          • Apr 2003
                          • Lufkin, Tx, USA.

That sounds great Sam...I am in with whatever it takes.
                          David

You can either be squirrel food or the seed of a mighty tree. - Paul Richey

Comment

• Turaj
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
                            • BT3000 (1998)

Sounds great Sam. As always you have put plenty of thought behind it and we will support you and your decision (I know my contribution is very small but it adds up!!).

Thanks again for all the hard work

Turaj (in Toronto)
                            "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman

Comment

• Tundra_Man
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jan 2003
                              • Sioux Falls, SD, USA.
                              • Ryobi BT3100

Sam, if you're happy with the solution, then I'm happy. No problems on my end.
                              Terry

Life's too short to play an ordinary guitar: Tundra Man Custom Guitars

Comment

• boblon
                                • Aug 2003
                                • Florida, USA.

Sam,
                                I for one think you made the right decision. I said I would support your decision no matter what you did. I meant that, but am glad you made the choice you did. Much better than throwing money to your hosting service and just 'hoping' they do a good job.
                                Anyhow, I have just signed up for the $10 a month plan. In addition, I made a one time contribution of $50 to help kick start the project.
                                I don't post a lot, but DO lurk a lot. Being without this site for 4 days was almost unbearable. Your the best Sam and the other forum members are right up there with you. This site, the people on it, and the etiquette that is displayed here is simply put .... outstanding.
                                I am proud to do the little I can to help out.

BobL.

P.S. Personally I don't know why we don't pay your entire DSL bill.
                                "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from poor judgement."

Comment

Working...