• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dedaddy
    Established Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Dallastown, PA, USA.
    • Jet SuperSaw w/sliding table and jointech fence

Sam, how much data do we back up for the forum. How much was in the graphics database. Just curious.
    Lee
    =============
    I live in my own little world. That's OK. Everybody there knows me!!

Comment

• bmyers
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2003
      • Fishkill, NY
      • bt 3100

I'm thinking I should offer to it tape backups for BT3central. How much data are we talking about here?

Personally, for the ISP that just formatted my data drive, I wouldn't be looking for ways to give them more money.

If it's been more than a year since you signed up with your ISP, you may want to shop around.

And yes, read those SLA's to compare ISP's. If they don't know what an SLA is, find another ISP.

Bill
      "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

• Rounder
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2003
        • Sanford, FL, USA.
        • BT3100

Sam,

Like Pappy said, whatever way you want to do it. If needed, I'll bump my monthly donation up a bit.
        George AKA Rounder

"Amarillo Slim, the greatist proposition gambler of all time held to his father's maxim; You can shear a sheep many times, but you can skin him only once."

Comment

• LarryG
          The Full Monte
          • May 2004
          • Off The Back
          • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Okay, now I'm confused (but then that's always bubbling just below the surface with me).

Does the $80/mo charge (which DOES seem high, now that I think about it) cover backing up only the pictures, or backing up everything?

If it's just the pictures, then mark me down in the column labeled To **** With It. As others have noted, there are other ways to deal with pictures, and they can be reposted if necessary.

But if it's everything, and paying a little more (although maybe not $80/mo more) will lighten the load on Sam and make his life a little easier, that needs to be taken into consideration.
          Larry

Comment

• monte
            Forum Windbag
            • Dec 2002
            • Paw Paw, MI, USA.
            • GI 50-185M

You can count me in too Sam. I'll cover a month.
            Monte (another darksider)
            Reporting Live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

http://community.webshots.com/user/monte49002

Comment

• JR
              The Full Monte
              • Feb 2004
              • Eugene, OR
              • BT3000

quote:Originally posted by RayintheUK
              I've just called up all my (non-archived) posts, trawled through them and uploaded the necessary files to restore the (26) pictures.
              Hmmm, I'll start a new topic.
              JR

Comment

• BobSch
                • Aug 2004
                • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                • BT3100

quote:Originally posted by tropicaffair

By the way, where to I go to renew my Patron contribution for 2005? Can't seem to find it.
                Good question. Do monthy contribs have to be renewed or are they good until my heirs cancel my checking acct?
                Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• Pop Paw
                  Established Member
                  • Apr 2003
                  • Lufkin, Tx, USA.

[/quote]

Mike -
                  There aren't any "dues," everything here is completely voluntary, including the running of the board. Your help would be appreciated.

[/quote]

Mike... Ken is correct...there aren't any *dues* (I used *dues* unarticulated in my previous post. The voluntary yearly patron donation resets itself yearly on December 31st.

So in my mind that is *my* personal due and I am upgrading from silver to gold to try and help out with rising costs and the headaches of running the board.

Thanks for setting my error straight Ken.
                  David

You can either be squirrel food or the seed of a mighty tree. - Paul Richey

Comment

• don_hart
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2003
                    • Ledayrd, CT, USA.

I have to say that the price for the backup is high. Most hosting companies will charge a setup fee of about $50 but then will only charge about $10 -$15 a month for the service. I would speak to them about the cost of the backups. If you wish to bring a little leverage against them I would start to talk about data recovery services and the fact that they should have to pay as they are directly responsible for the data loss. As you probably know data recovery services are very exspensive and I am sure they do not want to have to pay for them. Instead of additional months of free backups I would work on getting them to lower the monthly cost.
                    Don Hart

You live and learn. At any rate you live.

www.hartwoodcrafts.com

Comment

• MikeMcCoy
                      • Nov 2004
                      • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
                      • Delta Contractor Saw

Pop Paw - thanks for the clarification. Bad choice of words on my part as I understood what was meant. I've saved enough money on tools in the last year or so just by randomly checking your Bargain Alert forum that I'd be one lowly sort of guy to begrudge helping out.

Mike

Comment

• Slowpoke
                        Established Member
                        • Jan 2004
                        • WNY, USA.

quote:Originally posted by LarryG

paying a little more (although maybe not $80/mo more) will lighten the load on Sam and make his life a little easier, that needs to be taken into consideration.
                        I think we're all in agreement here!

quote:Originally posted by bmyers

Personally, for the ISP that just formatted my data drive, I wouldn't be looking for ways to give them more money.
                        Couldn't have said it better!

I could be wrong, but isn't this the 2nd time the site has been down in "recent" past?

quote:Originally posted by ErikS

... besides, if they screwed the pooch w/ formatting the drive what makes you think they'll get the backups done on time & target?

There are several automated packages that can perform the backups to your computer on an as needed basis.

Seems to me that a one time investment is more cost effective than an ongoing subscription.
                        Just seems logical.

quote:Originally posted by LarryG

I think it's fair to say, and by now obvious, that whatever you decide is best to do, there'll be plenty of us willing to step up and help as necessary to make it happen.
                        Ecoed far & wide ... Count me in!

[8D]

"if partners always agreed, one of 'em wouldn't be needed"

Comment

• jmalt31
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Apr 2004
                          • Matawan, New Jersey, USA.

Hello All,

I will go with whatever the majority of the group thinks best, But Sam is the one (or one of us) that has to do the backups and should make the final decision. I am in for $20 for now and more payments later on. Sam for that kind of money you can build or buy a whole backup computer with tape backup every year. I just seems excessive to me. I think before you make any decision we should explore all possibilities. Just my thoughts.

Thanks,
                          Joe
                          Joe Maddalena

A Bad day fishing is still better that a good day shopping. Honest honey, I just went to wash my lures

Comment

• Pop Paw
                            Established Member
                            • Apr 2003
                            • Lufkin, Tx, USA.

Sam....rethinking this entire thread we should take your server up on their offer of 6 mos. *free* backup service. This would compensate for the headaches and that was the reason they offered it in the first place.

That would give you ample time to make a decision on the direction to go.

What are thoughts from you and all others?
                            David

You can either be squirrel food or the seed of a mighty tree. - Paul Richey

Comment

• Woodnut
                              • Sep 2003
                              • Modesto, CA, USA.
                              • BT3000

quote:Originally posted by bmyers

Sounds like Snake Oil to me...

I mean, what's to say that next time it won't be:

"Oh, darn! A virus infected your backup, and we wiped your hard drive again. Say, if you give us another $1000.00/yr we can add a virus checking service so that the next time we wipe your drive, your backup will be clean as a whistle!"

Ad infinitum...

Or is my imaginary friend being paranoid again... [}]
                              Woodnut
                              "I should know better, but where's the fun in that?!"

Comment

• kwgeorge
                                Veteran Member
                                • Jan 2004
                                • Alvin, TX, USA.

I will also pledge a month.

Comment

Working...