• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WoodPirate
    Established Member
    • Jan 2005
    • Jacksonville, FL, USA.

Sam,

This hosting company is supposed to be staffed by IT professionals. They had the training, they make the money. They charge you, as I've heard, hansomely for their service. The data loss was inexcusable on their part and they should offer between 3 - 6 months. How much business could it cost them if word of this got out? Hammer 'em for the extra time. I think you'll get it. One month free and some backups??? Man, please!!! That's the kind of conciliatory offer that AOL ***** slaps their customers with.

Get what ya can, Sam. We're with ya!

--==<< Steve >>==--

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

Comment

• Holbren
      • Oct 2004
      • Heathrow, FL.

I see a lot of money flowing in but if you fall short Sam, let me know. The BT3 group has been good to me.

Here is a little FYI on the technology side.

1. If you are going to backup remotely, keep in mind that FTP or any other mean os bringing the files down eats into your monthly allotment of bandwidth.

2. I turned an old computer into a raid setup for my important files. It's not likely that 2 hard drives will die at the same time. Put a UPS on it if you are worried about brownouts or other potential damaging situations.

3. If you decide to backup yourself, just FTP into the drive and bring down every file, easy to do. WSFTP is a nice program. If you buy backup software, make sure you can map an internet directory or IP address.

Hope all works out.

Brian

Brian
      Holbren, Whiteside, LRH, Ridge, Tenryu, Norton
      "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
      www.holbren.com

Comment

• Russianwolf
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
        • One of them there Toy saws

Sam, I wish my brother were still doing his ISP business, I'd of sent you his way as he knows how to get and KEEP customers happy. But that's neither here nor there. You do what's right for you, you have my support.

I'm still temping, but I just got my first paycheck from a new assignment. I will actually be able to catch up on my mortgage now. You let me know when you need some funds and they are on the way.

This group of people came to my aid without being asked when I really needed it the most. I will NEVER be able to repay them in kind for what they prevented. BT3er's stick together. Period.
        Mike
        Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• ChrisD
          • Dec 2004
          • CHICAGO, IL, USA.

Sam, sorry for the late response but you do have my support.
          The war against inferior and overpriced furniture continues!

Chris

Comment

• lofty900
            Forum Newbie
            • Nov 2004
            • Loves Park, IL, USA.
            • BT3100

As has been said in all the posts, this is a gtreat site very helpful to me and I will support however I can. I made a donation through Paypal and will help whenever I can.
            Thom

Comment

• tpratt
              Forum Newbie
              • Jun 2004
              • Lowell, MA.

I was just doing some recon on how your images are stored. It looks like they are indexed in the DB and the download.asp script sends the referenced image. Are the jpg files made publicly accessible via HTTP? If a virtual directory is created pointing to the image files, it can certainly be scripted to download the images nightly or weekly--no backup software necessary.

There is an open source tool called wget which can download entire websites recursively (static content assumed). I just need http access to the image files and access to list the contents of the image directory.

My cable modem is 4Mb downstream and 384Kb up. I can backup the images and give you HTTP access to my server to get to them if/when necessary.

Of course, none of this solves the issue of your database/ASP files being restored when the hosting company slams your db files.

I am assuming that all of these posts are stored in a SQL backend? That being the case, are your tables exported periodically?

Comment

• tflynn
                Handtools only
                • Mar 2005
                • Encinitas, CA, USA.

You might be able to recover the images from one of the web archives. For example - http://web.archive.org/web/200503282...?TOPIC_ID=6800 (this URL should be combined as one) - this particular archive is current up until 2/04 so you could recover images up until that date. There are web archive tools out there that can automatically follow all of the links and download all of the *.htm, *.jpg, *.gif, etc. Once all of the images are downloaded, they can be copied over to the /inetpub/wwwroot/<your virtual directory>/images or similar directory on your server. For example, if I right click on the first image in this post I notice it has the same filename as the original post: "fa21eab4.jpg" (from: http://www.bt3central.com/forum/topi...wers,-,rebuild).

This particular internet archive may not be the complete solution since the content is older than what you've chosen to archive here. Although I found this on their FAQ (http://www.archive.org/about/faqs.php) - "Sites are usually crawled within 24 hours and no more then 48. Right now there is a 6-12 month lag between the date a site is crawled and the date it appears in the Wayback Machine." So more recent posts may show up later on.

Or, there might be other public or private archives out there...

- Tom

Comment

• cobob
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • Rolla, MO, USA.
                  • BT3100

Your note gave me chest pain. First, I'm going to get a formal stress test (having flunked your preliminary test). Assuming I don't need a bypass and assuming I survive it if I do,
                  I'll kick into to the fund gladly...that backup charge does seem a tad steep, but spead out amongst the members shouldn't be significant. Bottom line, make it easy on yourself. You're way to appreciated to risk losing.

Comment

• r.palmer
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Jul 2005
                    • Tampa, Florida, USA.

Only on the site two months but, it helped me finish my shop right, sort of, maybe if its ever finished. I donated after that no nonsense psentation. Your review of the BT3 was worth some real money when I was looking for a saw.

Thanks.

Comment

• silverfox
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2003
                      • Richland Center WI, USA.
                      • BT3100

You're the man, Sam...no problem with whatever decision you make. I would, however, try to pressure them to give more than they are giving for their absolute blunder. I think they should ante up considerably more than they are offering. But...in the end...I'm with you whatever happens. You started a great site and it continues to get better all the time. And I thank you for that.
                      Mike

Comment

• Sam Conder
                        Woodworker Once More
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Midway, KY
                        • Delta 36-725T2

Wow, this is an old one. Mike, check the date of my original post.
                        Sam Conder
                        BT3Central's First Member

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

• TB Roye
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2004
                          • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                          • BT3100

Sam

Count me in for my share. This forum has be a lot of help in my new found hobby. I have cried, laughed, learned on this site. I would be lost with it. Keep it and count me in.

Tom

Comment

• silverfox
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jul 2003
                            • Richland Center WI, USA.
                            • BT3100

doh!!
                            Mike

Comment

• JeffW
                              Veteran Member