X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

I am very annoyed

This happens to everyone I assume, but I've misplaced something in my shop - my smallest chisel. Not normally something important enough to make a thread about, but it's been missing for six months.

Not really a big deal, as I bought a cheap set to do my learning on, dropping, throwing against the wall, that sort of thing. It's the principle of it, though. The shop's only 136 square feet!!!

-Annoyed in Atlanta
    I have a little blog about my shop
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

I was working on the eave of the house (in Japan) and without thinking put my favorite hammer on the roof as I finished. I took the screws, nails, small saw and some trim paint back to the workshop and put up the ladder. Over the course of the next few weeks, I used a second and third hammer that was always handy. Then for the next three to four months, searched and searched for my favorite hammer. NOWHERE to be found.

One day I was doing something to the roof of the workshop and looked over at the roof at the house and there was my hammer!

My favorite small square is a Veratas slide square. I have used it regularly since purchasing it from LeeValley in 2000. About four years ago, I could not find it and searched and searched for months. Then when one grandson was born and I came home (from Japan) to visit in '09, I discovered it in my shop in the US. I don't remember bringing it back, but I did often do that when I knew I was going to work on some projects!

Good luck in finding your chisel. Hope it does't take you as long as it usually takes me!
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

I know exactly how you feel.

Sometimes I've "lost" things in my shop and I'm convinced it looks a certain
      way. I'll look and look and see plenty of things that look like it, but aren't it.
      I finally realize that stupid thing that keeps turning up in my searches IS
      actually what I've been looking for.

I thought I left my small parts case at my dad's house. It was a clear,
      plastic box with internal dividers and had a lot of little metal dodads like figure-8
      fasteners, threaded inserts, etc. I asked my dad to check his house and he
      swore he didn't have it. This was going on for months. I finally checked my
      shop drawers and there it was plain as day. I had thought the whole time it
      had a red bottom when it was clear plastic the whole time. In my haste I
      neglected to inspect the contents.

Other times, though, I worry that I actually threw out the item I'm looking for.
      Maybe it inadvertently fell into a nearby trash can while I was sweeping the
      bench. That's the worst feeling because 1) I threw away something I paid
      for! and 2) I may be spinning my wheels looking for something that doesn't
      exist anymore. These are the things that keep me up at night.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

While you guys are looking for the lost stuff, see if you can find my Snap on 12 and 16mm combination wrenches! Those have been missing for at least 5 years. I have other wrenches, but I REALLY like my Snap Ons!
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• twistsol
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
          • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Just this weekend as I was framing the new garage, my marking knife disappeared. The garage is still just an empty slab of concrete so it isn't lost in the clutter.
          Chr's

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
            • Dec 2005
            • Russell, NY, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

Yeah, I guess we all have had "that" experience. What really gets to me is when you are on your back under a car or tractor trying to do something; you lay down a wrench or whatever and then two minutes later you reach for it and surprise=surprise the d--mn thing is nowhere near. You crawl out and on your hands and knees see whatever it was is nowhere near to where you put it??
            RuffSawn
            Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

• Cochese
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2010

Originally posted by L. D. Jeffries
              Yeah, I guess we all have had "that" experience. What really gets to me is when you are on your back under a car or tractor trying to do something; you lay down a wrench or whatever and then two minutes later you reach for it and surprise=surprise the d--mn thing is nowhere near. You crawl out and on your hands and knees see whatever it was is nowhere near to where you put it??
              I'm having a huge issue with that with my tape measure and pencils lately. In fact, that's the reason I'm redoing the shop.
              I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• pecker
                Established Member
                • Jun 2003

Just buy a new one. The old one will turn up the next day.

I'm currently looking for a set of magnifying visors I last used 4 years ago. I'm gonna break down and order new ones, tho I know my rule above will kick in.

Comment

• billwmeyer
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2003
                  • Weir, Ks, USA.
                  • BT3000

When I finished putting up a beadboard ceiling on my front porch 2 years ago, using an air nailer mostly, I couldn't find my hammer I was using for "adjustments". I realized that it is up in the ceiling. I know within 4' of where it is. I just hope I remember that if I ever happen to have to tear that ceiling out!
                  Bill
                  "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• BobSch
                    • Aug 2004
                    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                    • BT3100

Originally posted by pecker
                    Just buy a new one. The old one will turn up the next day.
                    That's how I find things, too.
                    Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• JSUPreston
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2005
                      • Montgomery, AL.
                      • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Originally posted by billwmeyer
                      When I finished putting up a beadboard ceiling on my front porch 2 years ago, using an air nailer mostly, I couldn't find my hammer I was using for "adjustments". I realized that it is up in the ceiling. I know within 4' of where it is. I just hope I remember that if I ever happen to have to tear that ceiling out!
                      Bill
                      I fear I may have done somesthing similar with a brand new Echo (or was it Stihl) chainsaw.

Several years ago, I raised the floor in half my workshop to match the other side. For some reason, there was about an 8" difference in floor heights between the two sides. So, I framed out the lower side and decked it with 3/4" PT ply. About the same time, my chainsaw went missing. During this time, we were having an addition put on the house, and so I chalked it up to one of the construction workers sneaking into my shop and lifting it. However, there's been the nagging doubt for years that it may be under the floor of the shop, sitting on top of the slab.

If it's there, the saw is probably ruined. The shop floods on a regular basis, so I've had standing water on that side under my false floor. I figure standing water and chainsaws don't mix.

It's a shame...I paid about $300 for that saw shortly after one of the many hurricanes and storms in '05. Only used it a couple of times.
                      "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• gerti
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2003
                        • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
                        • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Originally posted by leehljp
                        I was working on the eave of the house (in Japan) and without thinking put my favorite hammer on the roof as I finished.
                        A hard(!) lesson I learned was to never place a hammer above where my head is. And particularly not on top of the step ladder!

But missing tools, I know that one all to well. I don't even wonder about tape measures anymore. I bought 3 identical ones: one for the shop, one for the current work location in the house, and one for my tool belt. Now they typically are all three at whatever location I am NOT. But at least when I go to find one I have a better chance.

The other day I needed my pipe cutter. Ended up emptying the entire cabinet where it was supposed to be and reorganizing it, cost me half a day. No pipe cutter. So I bought a new one. I was back in the shop less than 2 minutes, when I found it. At a very odd place that I have absolutely no recollection placing it.

Sigh...
                        Last edited by gerti; 10-31-2011, 06:55 PM.

Comment

• chopnhack
                          Veteran Member
                          • Oct 2006
                          • Florida
                          • Ryobi BT3100

I hear you loud and clear on this!!! Reason I am cleaning and organizing the shop, the 10 year mission ;-)
                          I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Pappy
                            The Full Monte
                            • Dec 2002
                            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 (x2)

1/4" drive 10 mm socket and a t-15 Torx driver have been missing for several months. i think my Harley ate the socket.....
                            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                            Fools because they have to say something.
                            Plato

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2005
                              • Independence, MO, USA.
                              • bt3100

Your wife used your sharp scraper thingy and it is in her kitchen junk drawer!

Really, the most commonly misplaced tool, seems to be our mind (or attention in some recent dismemberment posts).
                              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

Working...