X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jeepman71
    Established Member
    • Nov 2008

I built a new deck last spring and finally found my missing woder bar.....At Lowes.

And it only seems to be getting worse.

Comment

• BigguyZ
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2006
      • Minneapolis, MN
      • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

A twist on an Edgar Allen Poe story... the Telltale Saw.

Originally posted by JSUPreston
      I fear I may have done somesthing similar with a brand new Echo (or was it Stihl) chainsaw.

Several years ago, I raised the floor in half my workshop to match the other side. For some reason, there was about an 8" difference in floor heights between the two sides. So, I framed out the lower side and decked it with 3/4" PT ply. About the same time, my chainsaw went missing. During this time, we were having an addition put on the house, and so I chalked it up to one of the construction workers sneaking into my shop and lifting it. However, there's been the nagging doubt for years that it may be under the floor of the shop, sitting on top of the slab.

If it's there, the saw is probably ruined. The shop floods on a regular basis, so I've had standing water on that side under my false floor. I figure standing water and chainsaws don't mix.

It's a shame...I paid about $300 for that saw shortly after one of the many hurricanes and storms in '05. Only used it a couple of times.

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

There is hope for lost tools

Here is a post back in 2003 concerning tools that had been lost since 1997:

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...ight=Christmas
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• scmhogg
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2003
          • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
          • BT3000

I find that I am losing a lot fewer tools now that my youngest son has moved out on his own. When he left, I found a lot of the thing that "he had never taken" in the junk he left behind.

Steve
          I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• os1kne
            • Jan 2003
            • Atlanta, GA
            • BT3100

I have a small prybar that seems to get used in every home improvement project that I do. There have been a couple of times that it's "disappeared" for months. I look and look and am unable to find it - then I end up finding it when I don't need it.
            Bill

Comment

• sscherin
              • Dec 2003
              • Kennewick, WA, USA.

In my last house I'd gone into the crawl space to run a phone and data lines to the entertainment center. I ran into a small problem in that the support beam runs right under the wall I wanted to put the line into. So I packed up my stuff and came up with a new plan.. I'm fairly certain I left a 100' roll of phone line and my fish tape down there.

I usually turn up a few tools when taking projects cars apart.. I found a long handle 13mm snap-on open box wrench in my 87 mustang.. I'm sure someone was sad to loose that one.
              William's Law--
              There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it
              cannot be solved by brute strength and ignorance.

Comment

• JSUPreston
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2005
                • Montgomery, AL.
                • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

To add insult to injury...yesterday morning our 10 year old microwave went out. Since they're relatively inexpensive, it's cheaper to replace than repair. So, on the off chance Kenmore uses the same mounting brackets today as 10 years ago, we got a replacement at Sears during lunch.

Got home after work, and after removing the old unit from over the stove, I realized very quickly that the new one has a different mounting system. So, additional holes in the sheet rock and overhead cabinet. Go to mount the thing, and try as I might, I can't get the new one to fit. When tilting it into place, the back was just barely hitting the brace under the cabinet. No problem, I'll just take a little off using the HF multifunction tool.

45 minutes later, 7 trips to the shop, 3 to the laundry room, 4 to my study and 6 under the carport to the Trans Am the son and I are working on, I finally find the dang thing. It was UNDER the car cover on the Trans Am.

I don't remember the last time we used it out there, much less why I would have left it there. Needless to say, I'm going to put it in a better place in the future. I may run by HF tonight and get a cheap bag to put it in, since the box has fallen apart.

5 minutes after I got finished trimming the brace, I had a brand new microwave installed and working. It's amazing what I can accomplish, WHEN I CAN FIND MY FRIGGIN' TOOLS!!!!
                "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• os1kne
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Atlanta, GA
                  • BT3100

Originally posted by JSUPreston
                  I may run by HF tonight and get a cheap bag to put it in, since the box has fallen apart.
                  I picked up one of these from HF http://www.harborfreight.com/11-inch...bag-35539.html when I purchased my multifunction tool and accessories (they were on the same display) and it's perfect for the job.
                  Bill

Comment

• jdon
                    Established Member
                    • Feb 2010
                    • Snoqualmie, Wash.
                    • BT3100

While at HF yesterday, picked up a flyer for after-Thanksgiving sale-
                    Multitool for $17.89 that weekend. It might be worthwhile having a spare, just to alleviate said aggravation, not to mention spare blades, etc.

Comment

• JSUPreston
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2005
                      • Montgomery, AL.
                      • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Originally posted by os1kne
                      I picked up one of these from HF http://www.harborfreight.com/11-inch...bag-35539.html when I purchased my multifunction tool and accessories (they were on the same display) and it's perfect for the job.
                      Had to go back to Sears yesterday...we dropped the glass turntable from the microwave and broke it just as I finished up Monday night. Side note: DON'T BREAK THE TURNTABLE!!!! The one for our unit is on backorder, and it's $170 before tax and shipping. Since I paid $240 for the whole unit, I was about to have a cow. Sales lady that sold us the microwave gave me the turntable out of the floor model (which was literally on the floor...they're redoing the sales are in our store).

Anyway, I was able to get a 2 bag set for $9.99. On sale for $14.99, and Craftsman Club discout dropped the price. So, I got 2 bags for just a couple of more bucks, and I saved a trip and a 20% coupon.
                      "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• cwsmith
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2005
                        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                        • BT3100-1

This subject comes up on occasion and I think I mentioned an old "Twilight Zone" episode that gave a rather whimsical explanation regarding space and time and that each frame of time was "built" just before we entered it. The "explanation" was that on occasion things just don't get placed properly and sometimes are just forgotten completely as we continue our pace into future time frames.

Simply put, it's a lot like "movie" production, where they have "continuity managers" to ensure that everything is in the scene that should be and in the same place as the last scene that was shot. Just saw a scene like that in last night's playing of "Patriot Games"... in the first hotel bedroom scene, Harrison Ford jumps into bed and his feet are dirty... but on the next shot, they are not... apparently the "continuety" people made a correction, but didn't reshoot the previous scene.

What else explains our "shop" missings? Surely, it isn't just US.

I had a chisel come up missing several years ago and since it was cheap, I just wrote it off. Very oddly, I found it up on my garage roof a few years later, quite pitted to say the least. Problem is I don't ever recall having gone up there for anything more than cleaning out the eavestroughs... and I certainly would never have carried a chisel up there for that reason. Strange.

My tools are strickly for use in the house and I don't lend tools to anyone, generally... but I've totally lost a couple of pliers, never to be found. I just don't know where they could have gone.

I do own several tape measures... just to show how often those get misplaced. But, eventually they'll at least turn up again.

I think the "Twilight Zone" episode was the best explanation I've ever heard for this phenomonon... it's those "Blue Men"... the continuity builders.

CWS
                        Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Woodshark
                          Established Member
                          • May 2006
                          • Atlanta

Originally posted by billwmeyer
                          When I finished putting up a beadboard ceiling on my front porch 2 years ago, using an air nailer mostly, I couldn't find my hammer I was using for "adjustments". I realized that it is up in the ceiling. I know within 4' of where it is. I just hope I remember that if I ever happen to have to tear that ceiling out!
                          Bill
                          Oh crap. I just put beadboard on the ceiling on our deck about two weeks ago. Now you got me wondering what I left up there!
                          sigpic

Comment

• pecker
                            Established Member
                            • Jun 2003

Originally posted by pecker
                            Just buy a new one. The old one will turn up the next day.

I'm currently looking for a set of magnifying visors I last used 4 years ago. I'm gonna break down and order new ones, tho I know my rule above will kick in.
                            Prior to ordering new ones I made one last check throughout the shop. Behind some tall metal shelves filled with paint and other finishes in cans were the visors, wedged between a gallon can and the wall behind it. They had fallen from the top shelf, but never made it down to the floor.

So don't give up!

Comment

• Relative
                              Established Member
                              • Mar 2007
                              • Garden Grove, CA
                              • Ridgid R4512

Three years ago we left on an extended motorhome trip. I hid the garage door remote for the coach house because of the duration of that trip.

Still looking.......

Mike
                              Veterans are people who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America, for an amount up to and including their life.

Comment

• wardprobst
                                • Jan 2006
                                • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
                                • Craftsman 22811

Still looking for a pair of round nose wire pliers I inherited from one of my mentors....I'm sick about misplacing them because of where they came from.
                                Found the bottle of ebony dye I'd been looking for for about a month....it was in my office bag that I carry invoices, computer, etc. in the field. I've been hauling it everywhere...
                                It ain't the heat it's the stupidity..
                                DP
                                www.wardprobst.com

Comment

Working...