• Nov 2008

What really happened to Osorio + Sawstop

http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com/...ar+Woodworking
  • Mr__Bill
    Veteran Member
    • May 2007
    • Tacoma, WA
    • BT3000

I think I'll take all the guards off of my table saw and put it in the front seat of a Toyota and have a really bizarre accident and retire off of the proceeds.

Thanks for the link.

Bill

Comment

• tommyt654
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2008

I do need some money to buy that Uni, I saw on craigslist,hmmmm,Honey wheres the ryobi?

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

Good to see some of my questions answered. Now according to this, he was learning English as well. That means, he may not have even been ABLE to read and UNDERSTAND the owners/SAFETY manual. That would have been a major factor in the juries mind, IMHO.
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
          Good to see some of my questions answered. Now according to this, he was learning English as well. That means, he may not have even been ABLE to read and UNDERSTAND the owners/SAFETY manual. That would have been a major factor in the juries mind, IMHO.
          Ryobi owners manuals, at least every single one I have are in English, Spanish, and French... No excuse there...
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• tommyt654
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2008

I blame his boss r for even allowing the use of the saw. 1,on the floor,2, no guards, 3 inexperienced operator, Thats who should be getting sued(and probably will by Ryobi I hope). But I still think Gass is involved in this to further his own agenda.
            Last edited by crokett; 03-26-2010, 01:24 PM. Reason: Political and generally offensive comments

Comment

• natausch
              Established Member
              • Aug 2009
              • Aurora, IL
              • BT3000 - 15A

Osario
              Regardless of his country of origin or his bosses, the was at the very least ill-trained and more likely compleatly unprepared to use a table saw. Everything about how he setup this cut screams injury. I'll be honest, he got what he asked for, a serious injury.

Jury
              I'm more disturbed that it seems to me that not one person on the jury had ever seen or used a power tool, much less a table saw. They saw a horrible injury but ignored every single reason why it happened.

OWT
              Even worse if the fact that OWT lawyers must also be willfully ignorant. Did they even present a copy of the users manual into evidence? Did they bother to call an "expert" witness. I use that in quotes because anyone who even had a day of woodshop would know better, anyone with half a brain to know that you don't wilfully disregard every warning that you are making an unsafe cut. Did they argue about the cost of their lowest price saw versus the cheapest SawStop?

I can't help but wonder if OWT actually dumped this case in order to generate public outrage at SawStop/Gass. After all, this ruling will never stand up in appeal, not in a blue minute.
              Last edited by crokett; 03-26-2010, 01:29 PM.

Comment

• radhak
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2006
                • Miramar, FL
                • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by tommyt654

What everybody is trying to tell you, gently, is that there are a lot of 'foreigners' on this forum itself, like me. My full legal name can twist quite some tongues, I'm sure, like your name might twist my tongue . And I pay my dues at the Soc.Sec. like everybody else . I have felt more at home at this forum than anywhere else, and people here make a lot of effort to keep it that way. It is not personal against you or anybody else.

What people might be offended at is if you call them Gass's buddy (sorry Lee, that was a joke )...

Back to the post : looking at the background of Osoria, looks like some lawyer hit the jackpot when he chased that particular ambulance...I always felt I should have studied law...
                It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                - Aristotle

Comment

• pelligrini
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2007
                  • Fort Worth, TX
                  • Craftsman 21829

I kind of figured that Osario was doing something like that. Just reading about his use made me feel uneasy.

I don't think Gass is behind the lawsuits though, other money grubbing lawyers are, mainly one Richard Sullivan.

This is from the Orgonian article link:
                  "Richard Sullivan, a Boston lawyer hired by insurance companies to handle workers' compensation cases, was the first to take on the manufacturers. He watched a CNN video of SawStop's demonstration, and in 2006 filed a complaint on behalf of Carlos Osorio, who mutilated his hand on a Ryobi saw while laying hardwood floors, requiring five surgeries and $384,000 in medical bills."
                  From the 2007 INC article Link:
                  "Meanwhile, the industry's product-liability fears appear to be coming to life. In 2003, a construction worker walked into the Wellesley, Mass., office of attorney Richard J. Sullivan. He was looking for someone to represent him in a case against Chicago-based S-B Power Tool. The worker had lost his thumb and four fingers while using a table saw. Doctors were able to reattach them, but even after six surgeries and $150,000 in medical bills, he still had no real functionality in the hand. Living on workers' comp, he fell behind financially and was forced to sell his home.

Sullivan turned the case down twice because he didn't see a way to hold the manufacturer accountable. Then a colleague told him about SawStop. "His injury occurred on a saw manufactured in April 2003 and sold in May 2003," Sullivan says. "The industry has known about this technology since 2001. That gave the manufacturer plenty of time to react." The lawsuit, filed in Massachusetts state court in the summer of 2004, alleges that the manufacturer was negligent for not implementing the technology and seeks compensation for lost wages, future lost wages, and pain and suffering. (Attorneys for S-B Power Tool responded in January, denying all claims.) "If Gass can figure this out by tinkering around in his backyard, what has this industry been doing for the past 20 years?" asks Sullivan, who has since taken on five similar cases. "They're like the auto industry, which had to be dragged kicking and screaming to install air bags.""
                  Erik

Comment

• crokett
                    The Full Monte
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Mebane, NC, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3000

Ixnay on any more comments on the ethnicity of the plaintiff. I really shouldn't have to tell anybody this.
                    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• phrog
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2005
                      • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by crokett
                      Ixnay on any more comments on the ethnicity of the plaintiff. I really shouldn't have to tell anybody this.
                      "Ixnay?" David, I haven't heard that one since I was in grammar school.
                      Richard

Comment

• twistsol
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                        • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

The manual for every Ryobi tool I own came in both English and Spanish and sometimes French as well. Language should be a non issue.
                        Chr's

Comment

• Stytooner
                          Roll Tide RIP Lee
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                          • BT3100

Originally posted by radhak
                          What people might be offended at is if you call them Gass's buddy (sorry Lee, that was a joke )...
                          Hunh? What?
                          Lee

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            Internet Fact Checker
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Katy, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by twistsol
                            The manual for every Ryobi tool I own came in both English and Spanish and sometimes French as well. Language should be a non issue.

the saw was missing the stand, the safety equipment (blade guard, anti-kickback pawls, splitter) and rip fence and the apparently the miter slide, do you think they kept the tri-lingual manual or perhaps an operations DVD in a sealed plastic pouch taped to the side of the saw in case it was needed?
                            Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-26-2010, 06:12 PM.
                            Loring in Katy, TX USA
                            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Woody
                              Established Member
                              • May 2003
                              • USA.

Originally posted by Mr__Bill
                              I think I'll take all the guards off of my table saw and put it in the front seat of a Toyota and have a really bizarre accident and retire off of the proceeds.

Thanks for the link.

Bill
                              Or we could put Toyota gas pedals as on/off switched on our table saws!
                              Michael
                              Central Virginia

"Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll sit in boat and drink beer all day."

Comment

Working...